August 2014 Moms

**Wednesday breastfeeding/pumping check in**

edited August 2014 in August 2014 Moms
I thought I would start this week off as we sit here breast-feeding at 6 AM.

How are things going with you and baby?

Re: **Wednesday breastfeeding/pumping check in**

• At last weeks check in my DD had just started to latch and nurse. Although it was still up-and-down and she was still taking a lot of pumped bottles to kind of supplement her lack of feeding for very long.

Our breast-feeding relationship has been getting better and better. I have been pumping after she nurses about three times a day to have a bottle on hand in case she needs it, for a little extra relief from fullness, and for 4 oz of stored milk each pump. If we are out and about I think I would rather give her a bottle anyways.

One of the biggest hurdles that we continue to have is getting her latched at the beginning. She still fights me for the first few minutes and constantly pulls off and I need to help her back on while she fusses, cries, and try's to pull the nipple shield off. When I met with a lactation consultant at two weeks she told me that if the baby seems frustrated at all to just to give her the bottle. I'm glad that I pushed forward and we get through our little battles at the beginning because otherwise we would never be breast-feeding.

Goals:
    1. Get her to latch nearly frustration free with shield
    2. Start working on removing shield
    3. Get supply regulated enough to breastfeed and pump once a day and still be comfortable

• None stop breastfeeding. I think it's a 2 week growth spurt but it's about ready to kill me. I am trying to remember that it gets better but I am not there yet. It's easier this time bc I know what I am doing but it's harder this time bc I want to spend time with DD and it's hard to do that when I am always feeding.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We are doing okay. The first couple of days at the hospital left my nipples rather raw. I got to see the lactation consultant just before I left the hospital and that really helped...but she wanted me to have her nurse each side until she came off on her own. If i do that, she falls asleep and then does not nurse from the other side until the next feeding. I feel bad removing her halfway through a feed, but I don't know what else to do to get her to nurse from both sides. Any suggestions?
    TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • We are still working out some kinks. She was up every hour last night to nurse and I had to do some supplementing with formula since she would eat twenty minutes of each breast and still be hungry. She ended up getting 4oz of formula last night which was extremely disappointing. We will just keep nursing today! Speaking of that, someone is awake and ready for more.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MC03MC03 member
    We are doing well. About every 2 hours during the day but 3-4 at night so I'm happy with that. I started pumping once a day and introducing one bottle a day this week. I hate pumping and really don't want to do it, especially because I know how much I'll be pumping when I go back to work. But I was afraid if we didn't introduce a bottle soon she wouldn't take one. That happened to my sister.

Plus DH is enjoying giving her a bottle in the evening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Good! Just went through a growth spurt that was tough bc I didn't get much sleep. But she's eating well and we are working on getting better with her spitting up. I think moving her too much after eating is whats causing it so we just keep her sitting upright or on a shoulder. Pumping twice a day, one for a bottle for DH in the evening and one to add to the stash in the deep freezer. Thats going well and she is taking to the bottles pretty well too.
  • Doing well, still EBF at day 6 and her latch is great. My nipples are okay; not too sore. She cluster feeds though, and midnight-3am is tough to get through. I'm hoping she starts going longer at night, but not particularly hopeful. I'm going to try to start pumping this weekend to build a stash and have DH help out with a feed or two.

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• We are doing good as well with latching and eating. LO started spitting up a lot and he will start right at the end of a long session. I think he will sometimes comfort nurse and over eat, so I have started giving him a longer burping break in between each boob to let everything settle in a little better. It seems to be working but I'm still covered in spit up at least once a day. Any chance breast milk works as a conditioner?

My goal is to get better at pumping so H can give a bottle at night and I can start a little stash. I'm just scared I will empty myself and then LO will be hungry, his eating pattern is all over the place...
  • Things are going well here. We are really getting into a groove and I know she gulps down a lot of milk at each feeding. I can't wait until our Sept 5 appointment for a weight check!

I just have a question about caffeine. I have started drinking a cup or cup and a half of coffee in the morning to help prevent headaches from lack of sleep. I have read Kellymom and LLL info about caffeine and it scares me a little. Is caffeine and BFing kind of like how sandwiches are forbidden during pregnancy? (By that I mean the literature makes it sound like a big deal but it's really not so terrible...) Anyone have experience?

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• @mmsweeney1 - I didn't drink coffee during pregnancy, but I recently started drinking some daily and now I'm beginning to think that might be contributing to baby's fussiness lately.  Newborns don't metabolize caffeine that well so it actually has a half-life of days in them.. and since he wasn't used to me drinking it in pregnancy, I'm thinking it could be making him extra fussy.  I think I'm going to back off on coffee for a while and see if that improves things.  I don't think it really harms him though.

Married since 8.2.08
    DS born 8.11.14
    BFP #2: 9.14.16, EDD: 5.24.17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • EP here and been at it for a month now and it's getting better. I hate pumping but only have to do it every 4 hrs and once at night. I've been getting about 6-8 oz so hoping to keep it up. My goal is to make it to 6 months.Then if all is well my next goal is a yr. lo is taking about 3-4 oz every 2-3 hrs.

Me 28 DH 30

After 4+ years TTC

FET #2 = DS Madden Jeffery <3 July 29, 2014 <3
  • Thanks for the responses. I've had a small amount of coffee for 3 days now and (coincidentally?) baby girl has started staying awake through the morning without napping at all until the afternoon. I always drink my first cup after I nurse her in the morning, so I don't know how much it's affecting her. She's never fussy, but she's just an easygoing baby. I think I will just experiment cutting it out again and see how it goes. Seems like lots of guess work to keep up with newborns!

• EP here and been at it for a month now and it's getting better. I hate pumping but only have to do it every 4 hrs and once at night. I've been getting about 6-8 oz so hoping to keep it up. My goal is to make it to 6 months.Then if all is well my next goal is a yr. lo is taking about 3-4 oz every 2-3 hrs.

@HeatherHam10‌
    I EP and 6 months is my goal and I would see how I felt. Pumping is draining me and I keep trying to motivate myself to keep going especially at night when LO is sleeping and I'm up pumping.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Things are going well here, I am EBF for now, but will start pumping in 2 weeks so DH can give a bottle and I can build a stash before going back to work. DD has been latching well for the most part, just struggling with feeling trapped in my chair during feelings, ugh.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • One week out here, she started a little lazy in the hospital, but lucky for her my boobs remembered what was up, so the milk came in 3 days pp anyway. Seems to be an efficient eater like her brother, unusual to go more than 10min. If she stops we'll do a burp, change a diaper, if she roots again I'll offer the same side to try to get more hindmilk

I'm thinking to start pumping this week, at least after the 7-8 AM feeding. Dreading starting that again, but I want to intro the bottle and start a little bit of a stash...
  • Things are going pretty well. I've been working on getting her to latch deeper and working on my posture. It's really helped with the nipple soreness. She eats about every 2 hours during the day and every 3-4 at night. Last night we all went to bed at 9, she fed at 12, 3, 6, and 9 and we got up for the day. It was glorious. She had been fussing from 9-12 previous nights.

TTC September 2013 | BFP 11/21/13 | Chart | EDD 8/3/14 | It's a girl! 

DD born at 42 weeks 1 day | 8/18/14 5:33am | 8lbs 4oz 20.25in of perfection!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @stoofewok‌ I think I'm experiencing the same thing. Didn't see the bfing check in so I posted a new thread. Have you gotten any recommendations on what to do?
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• LO is 2 weeks old, and I'm still not producing enough milk. We are now trying to feed every 2 hrs, pumping when he is done, and supplementing around 10 oz of pumped milk or formula every day. Plus, I have a really hard time getting him to wake up to eat, and when I do, he just wants to scream. My husband has been really supportive, but I think he's hoping I'll give up bf. I'm so torn!
  • For the Pumpers: Does anyone else notice that one boob will flow out milk freely while the other one, even when feeling full, needs to be massaged and prompted to empty?
    x

• Does anyone else have an oversupply issue? DD is seven days old and I think I'm making enough milk for two babies. I started block feeding yesterday, which helped during the day, but she went 2-3 hours last night between feeds and my boobs are very hard and full at the moment. My main issues are that she seems to be getting too much fore milk (green poop) and not enough hind milk, even keeping her on one breast for 2-3 hours, and latching is hard for her when my breasts are so full.

I may add in a pumping session once in the morning and evening, just pumping the breast she's not currently using? But I don't want to increase production either.

Pregnancy Ticker

• theteno said:
    Does anyone else have an oversupply issue? DD is seven days old and I think I'm making enough milk for two babies. I started block feeding yesterday, which helped during the day, but she went 2-3 hours last night between feeds and my boobs are very hard and full at the moment. My main issues are that she seems to be getting too much fore milk (green poop) and not enough hind milk, even keeping her on one breast for 2-3 hours, and latching is hard for her when my breasts are so full. I may add in a pumping session once in the morning and evening, just pumping the breast she's not currently using? But I don't want to increase production either.
    I have oversupply. Whats block feeding? My lc told me to feed one breast till done then return to same breast instead of switching. She said to hand express the other if it was uncomfortable. His # of poops has decreased which is great bc he was going so often he got a diaper rash even w constant balmex. Now were using the monkey butt powder to dry and butt paste to heal. Seems to be getting better. Im pumping both breasts once a day in morning. Lc said dont over pump bc my supply wont regulate. So thats the only time of day i feel empty.
    Block feeding is feeding on the same breast for 2-3 hours, no matter how many times they feed in that time period, so it sounds like what you're already doing? I'm going to have to start pumping...how many minutes are you doing?

Pregnancy Ticker

• For the Pumpers: Does anyone else notice that one boob will flow out milk freely while the other one, even when feeling full, needs to be massaged and prompted to empty?
    I am asymmetrical and the larger breast has always produces more and seems to be flow more quickly. When I was EP that one would get about 4 oz while the other would be 2-3oz. Now that we're actually breastfeeding my DD doesn't like that boob as much because I think it might flow too fast. Also, she gets more gasy/spits up more after feeding from that side.

For the Pumpers: Does anyone else notice that one boob will flow out milk freely while the other one, even when feeling full, needs to be massaged and prompted to empty?

Yes, I was having that with my left side now for some reason my right and the left is fine.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks, I will start with 15 minutes and see how it goes.

Also, it's not 2-3 hours straight of nursing, just nursing on one side for however many times they want to eat in that time period. It might be once for 25 minutes or three times for 10 minutes, however your LO eats. Mine usually latches twice in a feeding, once for 10 minutes so, then pulls off for a few minutes, then nurses again for 10 or so. She usually goes two hours between feeds (sometimes three). If I don't feel like the first breast is empty after a feed, I'll start off on it on her first latch of 10 minutes, then switch to the other breast, and then two hours later stay on the second for both of her latches and any extras she wants to throw in there besides.

Even doing this, I don't think she's actually emptying either breast 95% of the time.

Pregnancy Ticker

• rainbowwillowrainbowwillow member
    edited August 2014
    LO has refused boob the last session. I may have waited too long to offer it. At least I hope that's why he refused boob. He usually latches on immediately. At times I supplement with formula because he still seems hungry. That being said, I'm trying to increase my supply by drinking lactation tea and pumping every 2 hours if LO doesn't nurse.
  • Just breastfeeding here... Baby has gained plenty of weight in 2 weeks and produces plenty of wet/dirty diapers. Only problem we're having is he'll only latch on with a nipple shield. His pedi suggested I wean him off bc it could elongate my nipples eventually...? I tried pinching my boob into his mouth on the left and success! (just once so far) still working on the right... :( I wish all these "fixes" were more than just temporary. I hate finding something that works and then being told it shouldn't be used too long!
  • theteno said:
    Im sitting here crying bc everytime LO nurses he cries (diaper changes and getting dressed as well) and it rings in my head that docs say if hes crying hes already been hungry a half hour and i feel so guilty.
    My little one (four weeks yesterday) is just starting to tolerate diaper changes and getting dressed about 50% of the time (so long as I'm fast). The other 50% she screams and throws herself around, which make it even harder to do. We've had a few instances of feet in the poopy diaper because I can't get it away from her as she kicks violently! Although on the bright side sometimes the arm punches help because it gets her arms through the arm holes a little faster! It's also getting better because as soon as I pick her up she is starting to settle down...it wasn't like this for a few weeks and she would continue in a tail spin.

• I am going out of town for the weekend and so I have been putting most of my pumped milk into the freezer today so we use up what we have in excess in the fridge. I had so much in our fridge freezer I had to take it all and move it to the deep freezer. During the transition, I counted up the total amount that I had stored. I thought I was doing great with having so many bags but ounce wise I have about 108 oz frozen. My Pedi said that we should keep LO's daily feedings under 32oz. I thought I had a week's worth of feedings but now realize it's only 3 days. Not bad for 3 weeks in.
    My question out to you ladies:
    1) If you are able to freeze milk, how big are you portioning your stores? I've been doing 4 and 5 oz portions, more 4oz than 5's.
    2) Because I'm traveling, is it worth the effort to try to save the milk that I pump while on the road? We have an 8-9 hr drive. I will have a cooler and access to a fridge once at our destination, but if I pump in excess to what LO is eating, should I attempt to keep it around? What would be the best way to do that? I'm really worried about spoilage and food safety.
    x

• I am going out of town for the weekend and so I have been putting most of my pumped milk into the freezer today so we use up what we have in excess in the fridge. I had so much in our fridge freezer I had to take it all and move it to the deep freezer. During the transition, I counted up the total amount that I had stored. I thought I was doing great with having so many bags but ounce wise I have about 108 oz frozen. My Pedi said that we should keep LO's daily feedings under 32oz. I thought I had a week's worth of feedings but now realize it's only 3 days. Not bad for 3 weeks in.
    My question out to you ladies:
    1) If you are able to freeze milk, how big are you portioning your stores? I've been doing 4 and 5 oz portions, more 4oz than 5's.
    2) Because I'm traveling, is it worth the effort to try to save the milk that I pump while on the road? We have an 8-9 hr drive. I will have a cooler and access to a fridge once at our destination, but if I pump in excess to what LO is eating, should I attempt to keep it around? What would be the best way to do that? I'm really worried about spoilage and food safety.

Wow makes me want to count what I have in the freezer. I've been storing 3-4 ounce bags. I would pump on the road and just keep it in the cooler till you can refridgerate it.

• MC03MC03 member

theteno said:

LO has started unlatching during feeding multiple times. Hes breathing fine, sometimes he lets go and burps, other times he lets go and fusses a bit rubbing his lips on my nipple and i help him relatch. Hes getting milk, so idk why hes doing this. Any ideas?

I have this question too. DD does this.

My DD2 does this too. I think it might be because of over active letdown and the milk is coming too fast. But I'm not sure because she does it on both breasts and I think only my left is over active. Whatever it is, it's annoying.

imageimage
  • Anyone else enjoying the baby milk breath? I love it for some reason :)

• Got to my inlaws house and immediately had to pump. No hi or hug from anybody, they ran straight for the baby. Pumping fn sucks and is so isolating.
    x

• She latched and fed without the shield on one side for about ten minutes!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"