3rd Trimester

How do I tell my doctor my depression is severe?

edited August 2014 in 3rd Trimester
I have dealt with depression in the past but made a choice not to use medication but instead try counceling and therapy. Things had improved a lot in my life until the 3rd trimester of this pregnancy (my first).

I am now dealing with some severe sadness and lack of energy. I have trouble dealing with people in public and would rather stay secluded (not my personality type whatsoever). I also deal with severe separation anxiety from my husband. After spending the weekend with him I can barely stand the pain of parting for work when Monday comes.

I don't want to approach my doctor about this the wrong way. I know it is probably normal, but I want to make sure I don't sound silly when bringing this up. Is this something I should be concerned about or is it normal? And what is the best way I should I bring it to my doctors attention? I am scared most of being stuck like this. I want to feel better again. Please help.

Re: How do I tell my doctor my depression is severe?

• I would bring in what you wrote here.  I was nervous to bring up PPD with my NP as I never sought help the first time and was worried that she'd question me/insist that it was just the baby blues/etc.

Instead, she was wonderful.  She directed me to a pre- and postpartum support group offered in my group and signed me up for my first appointment.  I am not experiencing depression yet, but from the support group I got connected with a therapist and developed an action plan to address PPD issues.  Knowing I have some supports in place has reduced my anxiety SO much.  

The most important thing you can do is bring this up.  Prepartum depression is also a real thing that is only recently being discussed more publicly - given your history with depression + the hormonal/emotional rollercoaster that is pregnancy, your OB should be ready to help.  There are medications that are safe for baby and for breastfeeding.  

Best of luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @emmyg65‌ @phdprocrastinator‌ @Idani‌ thank you so much for your input. I feel much more confident about letting my doctor know and about the severity. I appreciate your feedback!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would tell him exactly the same thing you just told us here. Best of luck!

• It's great that you're able to recognize how you're feeling. Like the PP mentioned, I would approach it just like you did here. Tell them you have a history of depression and say that you're starting to recognize some of the same feelings. Tell them how you feel and that you'd like to get it under control.
    I dealt with depression as well and actually went on medication. I've been off of meds for a few years now, but my doc is being proactive and told me just to bring it up if I start feeling the same way. They know that it's nothing to take lightly...and they won't want you to wait until after baby is born. You're not being silly at all and it's something you should definitely bring up and get under control sooner rather than later.
    GL to you and *hugs*
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • I'm with everyone here! Loads of love and support for being able to recognize what's going on with your body. It is a crazy, hormonal time in your life, but you don't have to do it alone. I have had the PPD talk with my OB and it went great. I felt so relieved just telling someone! He had great recommendations and we even talked about me taking a little something to help me over the hump. So glad I did!!
  • I have to been embarassed to discuss certain things with my doctor but the bottom line is its your health and you're just trying to gain control of it and make yourself better, there is no shame in that. I'm sure your doctor hears the same thing all the time as well, depression affects a lot more people than you would think.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"