Babies: 3 - 6 Months

How do you fit sleep into your schedule?

SOUND OFF: As a new mom, how do you get sleep when baby is waking up every three hours? Share your tips here!

Follow The Bump on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!

Re: How do you fit sleep into your schedule?

• As a new SAHM it's easy. If I am not getting good sleep at night (but I have been lately), then I do actually nap with her during the day. As soon as baby is asleep, i go to sleep. She will wake me when she needs me.

If I were working...not sure but I would prob close my office door and pretend I was working on something for a little while (30 min max, and I had that flexibility when I was working).

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • I don't! I am shocked at my ability to still function!  I actually feel decent during the day because I have discovered coffee.  My daughter is 4 months old and I went back to work 3 weeks ago.  The only problem about not getting much sleep is that it is hard to collect my thoughts.  I tend to make stupid mistakes (like spell graph without the "h".) It's like my mind and my hand are no longer connected.  I even forgot about 2 months out of the year.  I am scatterbrained all the time!  The answer is I don't fit sleep in. I get about 3-5 hours of sleep a night.  Averaging 4!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, when LO was 2 months old, I had to have my mom come stay with us for a month. DH was working a lot in the evenings/weekends, and I was exhausted (I was working full time as well)
  • I go to bed as early as possible. I went back to work 3 weeks ago. I make sure LO (he's 15 weeks) eats around 8 or 8:30 (sometimes earlier!) and go to bed with him by 9/9:30, or earlier if I can. That's really the best I can do if I want to shower and eat dinner after work. We get home around 5, DH gets home from work around 7:30 W-F. I get up at 5, and usually wake for 1 feeding, and another time to get him back to sleep, but it's usually broken sleep the last 2 hours or so. If I can get 6 hours, even broken, I can function. Less than that...I'm a moody zombie. There is no sleeping at work...other than drifting off while pumping 3 times a day lol

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS goes to daycare while I'm work so he usually naps then and then when I come home he will usually get his last bottle at 8:30pm or 9 and he's out. Sometimes he'll sleep through the night until 4 or 5 the next morning other times he'll wake up at 2 then 5. If you're working go to sleep as early as you can - I'm lucky my baby is sleeping long stretches. I would try doing a big feeding before bed, LO gets 5-6oz of formula for the last feeding and that usually keeps him full for longer periods of time. Hope that helps!!

www.mymommyplace.net
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I work 3-4 13-14 hour nights per week and DH has a normal M-F 9-5 job, so we balance it out.  I have a nanny during the week when DH is working and I need to sleep or work.  I end up getting between 4 and 7 hours per day/night.  It just depends.  My work schedule is a little crazy, but DH is such a big help and so is our nanny and my mom!  I haven't felt sleep deprived since DS was 2 months or so (he's 4 months today).  I don't know how I'd do it if I were EBF'ing though, we do combination feeding so DH can do nighttime feedings when I have to work.
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • I during the first 2 weeks of my sons birth I would only get to sleep every two hours, my son had some unknown infection shortly after he was born and had to be in the NIQU on two courses of antibiotics fed through an IV. I was breast feeding. I refused to pump because I wanted to bond with my baby. So I would go home and sleep for 2 hours then come back to the hospital to breast feed. I was so tired and exhausted yet I somehow found the energy to do what I thought was best for my baby. When you are a mom you would do anything for your child. Sleep is nothing compared to the health of your baby. Around 1-2 months they start sleeping longer. Eat healthy hang tight it will get better!
  • I'm very lucky, my little one has slept through the night since she was 1.5 months old. She goes to bed between 7 and 8 at night and doesn't wake up until 4 the next morning. She's almost 4 months now and still has the same routine so I'm able to head to bed by 9 and wake up feeling semi-rested. I go to work at 6 am. If I do go to bed a little too late, I just drink tea the next day if I'm tired.

Like I said, I'm very lucky and don't take the much needed sleep for granted! I know others don't sleep for years after their kids are born!
  • I wish my baby would sleep for three hours!! I get an hour and a half if I'm lucky! It's getting better though. Used to be every thirty minutes lol. Five months of this now... One day, he will do a 6 hour stretch; I just know it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"