Cloth Diapering

Newbie!! Momma overwhelmed...

So I'm due in February with baby 3. My oldest 2 are 11 & 12 yrs old. The more I google about CD'ing the more overwhelmed I get. We have very busy weekend schedules and I want to save us as much money as possible since we are trying to buy a house and let's face it Middle School kids aren't cheap! I like what I've read about Charlie Bananna diapers. What are your go to diapers, newborn stash? Help momma totally overwhelmed here.

Re: Newbie!! Momma overwhelmed...

• To be brief:

NB- Rumparooz covers with prefolds, or I also used small Best Bottom inserts and just changed the cover each time because NB poo gets everywhere.

One Size: Best Bottoms all day, and fitteds at night with Blueberry coveralls, since they're huge and fit well over bulky fitteds. 

It's overwhelming at first, but once you actually get into and do it, it's really not a big deal. The laundry is easy and hardly takes extra time. 

You will hear lots of different diaper preferences. I think an easier route to go is first figuring out what type of diapers you want: perfolds/covers, AI2 systems like Grovia, Flip, or Best Bottoms, AIOs, pockets, fitteds... Then start comparing brands of the type you want.

• Most people here will recommend that you get a varied stash, rather than committing to all one type.  I've never used a CB, so I can't help there.  But I went against advice and bought a full stash of Bum Genius Freetimes for my first.  We got lucky and they worked for her.  But then I fell in love with All-in-2's, and bought a full stash of Best Bottoms. 
    For my newborn, I loved prefolds, flats, and fitteds with covers.  Now that she's bigger and a chunky monkey, I like BGs again, but the BBs don't fit her great.  I've gone on a tots bots spree for this one.  Don't be overwhelmed.  Watch 101 to get an idea of things, hang out here to see what people like and don't like, and when LO is born just jump right in.  It's fun and addicting.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Like TJ said, I was also lucky in that I comprised my OS stash exclusively of Best Bottoms, and they work great for us. But every family and every baby is different.

I also have no experience with CB.

For NB, workhorses get lots of love here, and they retain their value, so you can recoup some of your investment when you sell off your NB stash. 

• Definitely check out the FAQ's etc. I also recommend getting a few different kinds of diapers before committing to a single brand. You may find you don't like how they work or how they fit your LO. 

I tried prefolds, fitted, pockets, and AIO's for the NB stash. I liked different things for different situations. Prefolds or pockets for daytime, fitteds for night, and AIO's for when we were out. 

Now I use pockets and AIO's for daytime, fitteds for night. What I like changes as DS grows...
  • cprice02cprice02 member
    edited August 2014
    A varied stash is a good idea. We're only 2 weeks into Cding and using our NB stash. As of now all in ones are our favorite with workhorses being our 2nd and prefolds being out least fav. We've also been using disposables at night. As you'll see from everyone's posts we all have different preferences. You'll figure out pretty quickly what you like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We did prefolds/fitteds and covers for the newborn stage because it was cheapest (got the prefolds/fitteds from greenmountaindiapers.com, they are awesome).  I did have a couple newborn OS diapers to try (newborn Simplex and Little Joeys), but I'm really glad I didn't buy a ton of them because DS soaked them and leaked almost every time. 

I got a few different one-size diapers to try out early on, and ended up loving Blueberry Simplex, so we have mostly those.  I was surprised to find that I really don't care for pockets.  So I agree with PPs to try out a few different ones before you commit to buying a ton of one kind.
  • Thanks guys! I've read it and tried to watch some videos but my phone crashes or I fall asleep. I'll def hang out here and see what everyone likes/doesn't like.
  • Thanks guys! I've read it and tried to watch some videos but my phone crashes or I fall asleep. I'll def hang out here and see what everyone likes/doesn't like.

Good idea! Stalking this board is a great education and you have plenty of time.

• On my lunch hour working out in the gym and reading about the GMD workhorse ones...totally love what I'm seeing!! Anybody have any experience with adding a flushable liner? The kids want to help out and I'm thinking that might help them with the ick factor
  • The flushable liner was probably most helpful during the "peanut butter" poo stage when DS started to eat significant amounts of solids. But once he went down to pooping only 1-2 times a day, it felt wasteful to always use a flushable liner and have nothing to flush. Some people wash and reuse the liners, but I decided I would rather not bother with liners.

A lot of people here love their diaper sprayers -- it attaches into the plumbing of your toilet and you can spray poop off that way. But it seems like there is a learning curve to it, to avoid spraying poop all over the place. I'm in the UK and don't have exposed toilet plumbing, so I use a Diaper Duck from Nicki's Diapers to soak, swish and sometimes scrape.

Maybe the kids can help with stuffing pockets? Or mixing up wipes solution, when you run out, if you are also using cloth wipes?
  • I've tried all in twos and pocket diapers, but my absolute favorite go-to diapers, even overnight, are old-fashioned flats, pins (just started using them in the last month; Snappis and Boingos don't work on our flats), and Thirsties Duo Wrap covers. Flats are versatile and super easy to care for, and the covers are affordable and have held up well. It's absolutely the cheapest way to CD.

I do like our BumGenius 4.0, though I found pocket diapers do not work for my son overnight. The Blueberry OS pocket diaper has never worked for him and felt like a total waste of money. My husband likes Flips, but I've not been impressed. I am glad that I did not invest in a whole stash comprised of these diapers until I'd actually used them and saw how they worked for DS.
  • You could look into a diaper trial. There are some that have a set list of things they give you, vs. others that you can customize into what diapers you want to try.
  • Thank you for posting this! I'm due in Feb as well and although very excited to cd I'm getting more and more overwhelmed by all the options. The more YouTube I watch the worse it gets. I'll definitely check out the 101 post!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"