Baby Showers

Throwing a sprinkle for baby no 2

My best friend and I are both due with baby no 2 about 3 weeks apart.  Her children will be 3 years apart.  I would like to throw her a sprinkle to help replace some of her things from previous baby that needs replacing and to also help with the purchase of some new things she may need like diapers, wipes, double stroller, another baby mattress, etc.  I don't want everyone to think that I am just throwing one because I am also wanting one because i don't. I really don't need much for this second baby since my two will be closer in age and we already have mostly everything.  How do throw this sprinkle and get people to not think that? 

Re: Throwing a sprinkle for baby no 2

• Loading the player...
  • If you and others want to buy your friend gifts, they can do that without an invitation to a tacky sprinkle.

Your heart is in the right place but seriously, second showers/sprinkles are tacky.  Save whatever money you planned on budgeting for the party and buy her some stuff if you really want to.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm of the opinion that they should be 5 plus years between the last baby and the subsequent baby for it to be appropriate to have another shower. If you do give her a sprinkle it should be very casual meaning no registry. You and friends can go in on one big gift.
  • OP I think that if you want to host something then go right ahead.  If you don't want someone to host one for you politefully decline if someone should offer.

I guess I'm just not understanding the idea that you can only have one baby shower for your first child and nothing else for subsequent children.  

Where I'm from we have showers whenever a baby is born, and not just the first.  However, we do it after the baby is born so it gives guests the opportunity to meet the baby.
  • OP I think that if you want to host something then go right ahead.  If you don't want someone to host one for you politefully decline if someone should offer.

I guess I'm just not understanding the idea that you can only have one baby shower for your first child and nothing else for subsequent children.  

Where I'm from we have showers whenever a baby is born, and not just the first.  However, we do it after the baby is born so it gives guests the opportunity to meet the baby.
    Very simply put - showers welcome you to motherhood.  Once you have a child, you cannot be rewelcomed into the motherhood club.  It's like your virginity.  Once it is gone, it is gone for good.
    I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm simply saying that people; a lot of people do have showers for all their children.  Maybe different regions, cultures, etc. do things differently.

Ok, for kicks...  A wedding shower.  If you remarry do you not get another wedding shower? Or is it only a once in a lifetime thing for that as well?
  • I was invited to a second baby shower for my friend, which is in September. Her twin boys are 2.5 and she is expecting another BOY! They're only asking for diapers and stuff but it does seem a little strange to have another baby shower. I'm gonna attend the party but mainly because I haven't seen my girlfiend for over 3 months. I will keep my gift to $15 or less.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We had a sprinkle for both my sister and my best friend. My best friend' second child was born 10 years after her daughter was born, since she had nothing left from her first pregnancy, and needed everything, and since she had gotten married to someone else, and it was his family's first child and grandchild it was a large ordeal.

My sister's sprinkle came 8 years after her oldest son was born, she had not planned on having another baby and got rid of all the baby things from her first shower. My brother in law called about 10 of friends and family, to come over, and we all bought things we knew she needed.

I say if you want to have a sprinkle for her, don't have her register anywhere and put on the invitations to bring what you think she needs.

Good Luck!
  • Gismo123Gismo123 member
    edited September 2014
    It depends on the region....where I am originally from it is not common to have sprinkles. Where I live now it is very common. I'm more of the type that would throw a meet the baby party rather than a sprinkle but that's just me.
  • What do you do with a first-time mom had a shower, lost the baby before he/she was born, and then got pregnant with another baby of a different sex? Is a shower for that baby appropriate?
  • Rachel623 said:

What do you do with a first-time mom had a shower, lost the baby before he/she was born, and then got pregnant with another baby of a different sex? Is a shower for that baby appropriate?

@Rachel623‌
    I'm a loss mom too. I def agree with others that you don't want her to feel like her first baby didn't count and the best thing would be to talk to her and ask her feelings about it. Personally, since I would have most of the "gear" already from my first baby, I would
    love some kind of a get together just to offer blessings and love. A "party" without the typical games and decorations but perhaps where everyone brings notes of love for the child or maybe a bead that you could string on a necklace for Mom.
    I'm a total hippie so feel free to ignore me but Mom may have some anxiety about her next child and offering a gathering to bestow blessings instead of sniffing chocolate in a diaper would probably be appreciated.
    This signature is all for YOU. I'm on mobile and can't see crap.
    MMC EDD: 1/5/2015  D&C: 5/31/14
    MC    EDD: 4/21/15 Lost: 8/24/14
    BFP for my Rainbow!! 11/6/14
    EDD: 7/20/15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"