October 2014 Moms

Weekly GD Check In - 08/26/14

2»

Re: Weekly GD Check In - 08/26/14

• I'm so jealous about the ice cream! It's one of my most missed foods but my dietician put ice cream under the 'no no' list on my plan. Is this the case for everyone and you just kind of sneak it because it doesn't affect your numbers or were you given the go ahead? I'm really tempted to try it out. This diet sucks..
    I wasn't really given "no no" foods, but that may be because my team is doing anything and everything they can to incentivize me to eat and to add carbs because for the first 2 weeks I basically stopped consuming them period.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• I also wasn't given any specific foods to avoid but have discovered that some will react worse than others (potatoes, for example).  

Scratch that, I was told to avoid fake sugar foods but as I have a dietary intolerance to fake sugar to begin with, I am not tempted to eat any of them.

Ice Cream is used by many of us as part of our bed time snack as it comes in easy to eat bars and small cups, with the carbs already calculated.  One of my weekly highlights has been when it comes to pick out each week's night time snack at the grocery store.  Which yummy ice cream product do I want to eat this week (but no pints of ben and jerry's, alas)?  

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so jealous about the ice cream! It's one of my most missed foods but my dietician put ice cream under the 'no no' list on my plan. Is this the case for everyone and you just kind of sneak it because it doesn't affect your numbers or were you given the go ahead? I'm really tempted to try it out. This diet sucks..
    I was never given a "no no" list, just rough guidelines on carb/protein ratio and thinking back, I think I just researched it on my own. As long as it doesn't affect my numbers, my OB is fine with me eating ice cream.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'll add, my endo told me to enjoy my baby shower, and that if I'm going to cheat, to make sure I do it and enjoy everything I consume.  She added that I should go for a longer walk that day, but that I should still enjoy occasions like my baby shower.  If I do indulge LO may get a few more calories that day, but with my averages being so low, they're not concerned about me indulging in french toast and cake at my baby shower.

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.

• After a week of being on the gestational diabetes diet, I got a call today from the dr's office saying they want to start me on insulin at bedtime because my fasting numbers have been high. I'm supposed to be blow 90 and have had numbers like 87, 95, 91, 89, 97, 92, 92. Which I didn't think were too bad but they said they are very proactive in making sure they don't climb from here on out. But my question is I asked if they offered alternatives to insulin because I see some are on pill medication instead and she said no that insulin is the only thing that is safe for pregnant woman and that no pregnant woman should be on any type of pill medication alternative. Has anyone else been told this or know about this?

• After a week of being on the gestational diabetes diet, I got a call today from the dr's office saying they want to start me on insulin at bedtime because my fasting numbers have been high. I'm supposed to be blow 90 and have had numbers like 87, 95, 91, 89, 97, 92, 92. Which I didn't think were too bad but they said they are very proactive in making sure they don't climb from here on out. But my question is I asked if they offered alternatives to insulin because I see some are on pill medication instead and she said no that insulin is the only thing that is safe for pregnant woman and that no pregnant woman should be on any type of pill medication alternative. Has anyone else been told this or know about this?

My endo works out of a top academic institution and will not use any of the orals in pregnancy.

imageimage

• Most Endos and MFMs view insulin as the gold standard in GD care.  OBs tend to prefer the pills, but those have more side effects and are harder to regulate (so, higher risk for blood sugar lows).  

My MFM only prescribes the pills if someone has a fear of needles and can not overcome that enough to even have partner give the daily shot.  

The needles are tiny - my pharmacy gave me extra short ones when they found out that I was using them for GD. Most days, I don't have any pain associated with the injection.  

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Hi there...I'm new to the GD check-in.  I'm due on 10/31, but I'm having a RCS so dr has scheduled me for 10/24.  I was diagnosed with GD 2 weeks and so far so good.  I actually do feel better and have more energy since starting the diet.

How is the diet going? Diet is going ok, still trying to figure things out.  We have a dinner party to go to tonight.  Hostess is making spaghetti and meatballs, I'm bringing a salad and of course they asked us to bring dessert as well.  I'm actually taking jello for myself and a beautiful cheesecake for everyone else :(     Any challenges that we can help out with? My only challenge is that I'm tired of pricking my finger. I have to do it 7x and I'm over it. Any new recipes/ successes that you want to share? I was excited to see that 3 graham crackers with 1tbsp of PB hit my sweet tooth for my evening snack.  I was afraid the graham crackers would raise my levels, but I was fine :) Rant/Vent about the lack of ice cream? I don't miss ice cream as much as I miss frozen yogurt! 

QOTW:    If you could eat one food and it not impact your blood sugar, what would it be? 

There are too many to list, but if I had to pick one...I would pick Mexican sweet bread.  It has been a huge craving this pregnancy! 

• I had a 0% Fage for breakfast, went for a 2 mile walk, relaxed and took my post breakfast BG - 39.  Retested in another finger - 41.  I had just washed my hands, but they were definitely dry.  I don't feel low - would you test the meter?

Also haven't started the insulin yet as there was a bit of disagreement, so will be starting tonight.

imageimage

• @golfingdarwinfish Sometimes I don't feel low until after I get a super low reading and have already eaten something to correct it. With a reading that low I wouldn't wait around to second guess your meter.
  • PBJellyTimePBJellyTime member
    edited August 2014
    In reality, I have found this works better for me:   I eat 15 -20 for breakfast, 0 for morning snack (due thyroid meds, I don't get breakfast until 8:30 and it is too hard to fit in a carby snack and still have good lunch numbers), 45 - 50 for lunch, 30 for afternoon snack 1, 15-30 for afternoon snack 2, 45-50 for dinner, and 30 for bedtime snack (sometimes higher if I have a low number after dinner).  I have two afternoon snacks as lunch is typically 12:30 and dinner isn't until 7 pm.  So the carbs from the missing morning snack got moved to to a second afternoon snack to keep my sugar levels more stable (however, I get a protein snack still mid morning).  

Hey everyone, I haven't been around a lot lately.  We've had lots going on. Computer trouble. Finding out I have GD, bridal showers, baby showers, birthday parties, on and on.  Anyways, my midwife was a real treat when I failed my 3 hour, accusing me of eating ice cream and cake before the test, after literally only eating chicken and vegetables for a week prior to my 3 hour.  So then she had me begin testing my sugar levels, checked them after a week, said they looked good.  She never even referred me to a dietitian...just said keep doing what you are doing.  But my plan is very similar to the one above.  My number requirements seem very similar to most everyone too. Less than 120 after 1 hr. Less than 100 after 2.

Only 15g for breakfast, 30 for each snack, 30-45 for lunch, up to 60 for dinner, and up to 45 for my bedtime snack.  I have found this works good for me.  I really cant eat much more than 15g for breakfast or I'm too high.  I think my body is slower in the morning.  

I found some low carb, whole grain wraps/tortillas, and I've been eating those like they are my job.  14g/wrap.  I'm reallly loving chicken fajitas lately.  AND my favorite "treat" are snickers ice cream bars.  Only 18g of carbs!!

P.S. I'm going to make/smash one of those Lady Linda Rolls.  TONIGHT.
    edited for quote fail.
  • I had a 0% Fage for breakfast, went for a 2 mile walk, relaxed and took my post breakfast BG - 39.  Retested in another finger - 41.  I had just washed my hands, but they were definitely dry.  I don't feel low - would you test the meter?

Also haven't started the insulin yet as there was a bit of disagreement, so will be starting tonight.
    I was perfectly fine having conversation.. Felt funny and was out in seconds.
    My bs was 36. I went from dispatching on a radio channel to wait I can't talk well, out....

It was 119 not even 30 mins before
  • I'm okay! It came up, though it took a bit.  I felt fine, so it was so hard to believe that it wasn't just a machine fluke or something...  Now I'm scared of taking insulin this evening...  @-)

imageimage

• starla487 said:
    Okay good. May I recommend something to all of y'all on insulin but still trying to exercise?

https://diatribe.org/issues/24/thinking-like-a-pancreas

This CDE is pretty well known in the T1 community, but has a really good chart for how many carbs to consume before exercise. There is a lot of mention of reducing basal rates and insulin rates that won't apply to you if you are only on one injection at night. But some of the info may be helpful.
    Thanks for sharing!

So I tested tonight after dinner - 31, tested again, 103.  I'm starting to wonder if my meter is wonky.  Just took my first dose of Humulin N - joy.  Trying to figure out what to have for a snack because we are out of my "safe" foods and I'm worried to go to bed without one, even though I only had 6 units.

imageimage

• Just had whole wheat pasta but loaded it with bacon and chicken....Not sure this is what my nutritionist would recommend but no booze, no candy, no ice cream...I just needed SOMETHING. Guess I'll clean something to burn calories....
  • I'm sorry, but I have yet another question.  I work in medicine & drug development, yet for some reason when it comes to GD my brain just flies out the window.  

I took 6 units Humilin N last night around 11 and couldn't sleep at all - I tossed and turned and ended up reading on the couch for hours..  I ended up getting up around 2 and eating about 3 tablespoons pb because I was starving.  My BG at 930 was 107 (ugh).  So, of course I wasn't happy.  

Is anyone else on Humulin N?  What time do you take it before bed and then wake up to test? I know the pharmacokinetics and that it actually peaks at around 8 hours (or up to 10), but I'm curious when others are taking it in relation to when they go to bed, and how many hours later they are waking.

imageimage

• I'm taking Humulin N at bedtime and still experiencing erratic fasting numbers (anywhere from 60-130). I think there are just way too many other factors at play: dinner and bedtime snack macros and timing, sleep hormones, sleep quality, etc. I try to focus on my post-prandial daytime numbers, which I can actually control to sone extent and which (I've read this somewhere) have more of an impact on fetal size.
  • AHH!!!!!!!   I was HIGHER again!!!  WTF insulin!?!??!  I didn't even eat last night, and checked at 630 when DH left for the golf course, and it was high then AND when I got up. 

imageimage

• MrsL2B said:
    I'm taking Humulin N at bedtime and still experiencing erratic fasting numbers (anywhere from 60-130). I think there are just way too many other factors at play: dinner and bedtime snack macros and timing, sleep hormones, sleep quality, etc. I try to focus on my post-prandial daytime numbers, which I can actually control to sone extent and which (I've read this somewhere) have more of an impact on fetal size.
    I feel your pain.  I was told that hormones have the largest impact on the fasting number, which is one of the reasons it's so hard to control.  I am just so damn sick of starting every day feeling like a failure when that number is high.

imageimage

• My sugar levels are weirdly low lately...I barely get over 100....diabetes is weird.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"