3rd Trimester
Options

Ideas for week before giving birth

My best friend is due with her first baby at the end of the week, and we are planning to spend a day this week hanging out and keeping her mind off of things. I want to plan some creative, relaxing and fun things for us--do you have any recommendations or things you wish you did? We live in a big city so there is a lot at our disposal, but I would love to hear ideas from women who have been mothers themselves. Thank you!

Re: Ideas for week before giving birth

• Options
    Movies. I cleaned up around the house, and while it's not the most relaxing thing for everyone, I was really glad I did. If she has a SO, then I'd suggest going on a date. What everyone else suggested!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Whatever it is, make it low key. My sister keeps inviting me to do things like go to the zoo - I simply can't handle being on my feet all day in 90+ degree weather at this point. i would *love* for someone to invite me to a pool and just let me float around all day. Spa day would be nice too.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Whatever it is, make it low key. My sister keeps inviting me to do things like go to the zoo - I simply can't handle being on my feet all day in 90+ degree weather at this point. i would *love* for someone to invite me to a pool and just let me float around all day. Spa day would be nice too.

Haha, funny you mention that, I actually wanted to go to the zoo when I was 5 days overdue with DS. (I was thinking "walking helps kick-start labor".) Thankfully DH had a little more sense than me and refused to take me. Zoo was an hour away from the hospital and it was 100+ degrees out.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Take her to her favorite restaurant. She won't be going for a while with a newborn and get some of her favorite movies and snacks to watch at home. Movie theatre seats are just not comfortable at 9months pregnant and you can't pause the movie for your 20 pee breaks.
  • Options
    Go to the spa! Prenatle massage, pretty toes & some take out.... keep it simple relaxing and as close to home as possible... rest is a must but she could really benifit from a quality massage and some beautiful toes! Have fun.
  • Options
    Order food and marathon some netflix. That's all I want. And maybe a pedicure, but leaving the house? Not worth it.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options
    526SadieSadie526SadieSadie member
    edited August 2014

Clean her house while she takes a loooooong nap.  She's not going to have the time or energy for cleaning for a while.

Also - keep in mind unless she's having a scheduled C-section her due date doesn't mean anything. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm a week out with #2, and this is what I want: nothing but to be left alone and watch TV and eat what sounds good.  However, I did have lunch with my BFF yesterday and that was wonderful. Bsaically, I just want to do everything on my own terms and not answer to anybody's schedule.

If I I were going to have a day with somebody else, I'd want 1) them to do all the driving, 2) MAYBE go out for lunch but even better, get some really good take out and bring it over to my house, 3) get a mani/pedi/massage, but preferably at my own house instead of at a spa.  THere are services that will do this, depending on where you live!  4) Hang out and watch TV together in my yoga pants all day. :-)

• Options
    Pedicure!
    Photoset 15 of 15

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I would love to get a massage, a pedicure, and to get my lower legs waxed... and soak in a pool and do next-to nothing. The pool is super-helpful near the end. :)

That said, I'm 39+4 and I spent today canning peaches, roasting tomatoes, landscaping, cleaning, washing windows, meeting with contractors (it was my DS's first day of school, so I had a crazy backload of things on my wishlist).... but it made me pretty bitchy in the evening. Energy and mood swings are part of the game for me right now.

I like the advice to ask her what sounds good (maybe with a few suggestions), but I would be super understanding that she may want to do a lot one day and then not much the next... or think she wants to do something and then want to bail. And if her hormones are like mine right now, she may want to be totally on her own program.
  • Options
    I had a prenatal massage recently and it was heavenly. My vote is you treat her to that if it's in your budget. Other than that, I'd just ask her what she'd like to do. Maybe you could run some last minute errands for her while she naps.
    +1 on the prenatal massage.  I fell asleep on the table, it was so relaxing. 
  • Options
    Hair, nails, massage, movie, nice dinner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"