Breastfeeding

How Many Times? (Pumping at Work)

I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times. I did a quick search and didn't find a thread...

On average, how many times should I be pumping at work? I usually feed DD with one breast in the AM before I leave, pump the other (for freezer stash), and then pump 2x at work. I usually average 14 oz from those two times at work. One day, I did a third pump and only got 2 oz. Not really sure if those 2 oz are worth it...

What do you do? 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How Many Times? (Pumping at Work)

• the official answer is that you should pump to replace every feeding that you would miss while away from your LO. you want to try to stimulate your breasts enough times during the separation to keep your supply at the proper level to meet your LO's needs. if you can swing it at work, it's probably a good idea to stick to this rule as much as you can. once your LO is six months, then you have a little wiggle room, since you may a) have a good freezer stash built up by then that you can draw from and b) have the option of adding in some solids if you're not pumping as much.

another question is, how many ounces are you pumping total each day, and how much of it is your LO taking?

• gutsysneakersgutsysneakers member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks @vvvvfee

I probably should pump at least 3x at work then - DD is only 3 months old. My morning pump is anywhere from 5-7 oz which I typically freeze. DD is taking in around 14-16 oz a day (while I'm at work) so I'm right at or a little under how much she's taking in during the day. My dilemma is it can be really hard to get in that 3rd pump. I suppose 10 minutes is better than nothing though. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

DD Born @ 40+4

• Loading the player...
  • As a nurse I work 12s. I pump 3 times a shift, so one less feed than my guy normally does. I average 22-25 oz though, so I'm not concerned with supply at this point---- and to be honest, getting 3 sessions is barely doable sometimes. Luckily, I work labor and Postpartum so everyone is very accommodating and pitches in to make it happen.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• I went back to work at 16 weeks. I had already been pumping at 6:00 am and 9:00 pm. So I have quite a stash. When I went back I added two pumps at work. Around 10:30 and 3:30. I built up even more of a stash. So I eventually dropped the home pumps and now I pump only twice at work. I am pumping 10 oz per day. He is 8 months old and drinks about 14 oz while I'm gone. So now I am starting to use up the frozen milk more. But at last count I had 700 ounces.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Thanks, everyone. I'm going to continue pumping 3x at work - 9:30, 12:30 and 3:30 if my schedule allows. DD has had quite the appetite the last week or so. 

DD Born @ 40+4

• Thanks @theresat858 - last week and this week my in-laws have been watching her. She starts DC next week. I think she may also be going through a growth spurt? They have been watching her from 7:30 - 5:30 and she will eat 14-16 oz in that time period. MIL says it takes about 20-30 minutes for her to finish a bottle of 4 oz. 

DD Born @ 40+4

• I can only pump twice at work. I pump in the am, nurse before work, pump twice at work, nurse 2 more times at home in the afternoon and evening, and pump before bed. That's the best I can do. Eventually I know my supply will drop off so I'm counting on my freezer stash to get us through and if not, supplement. I had to start supplementing with DD around 9 months, hoping to make it LO gee this time. With DS I wasn't working, he was EBF'd for 18 months.

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• Thanks @vvvvfee

I probably should pump at least 3x at work then - DD is only 3 months old. My morning pump is anywhere from 5-7 oz which I typically freeze. DD is taking in around 14-16 oz a day (while I'm at work) so I'm right at or a little under how much she's taking in during the day. My dilemma is it can be really hard to get in that 3rd pump. I suppose 10 minutes is better than nothing though. 

I wouldn't add another pumping session at work. You are already pumping 3-5 extra ounces/day, right? Your LO's intake shouldn't increase because it is already on the high side for a BF baby, and there is no reason to stress yourself out about it. I would add another pumping session if/when you are no longer able to get enough milk for the day from the three pumping sessions you are doing currently. You should have plenty of freezer stash to act as backup while you increase your supply if it drops.
    I agree with this.  I would not use the extra pump session in the morning for freezer stash unless you really need to build up a large stash for some reason.  I generally pump once in the am before leaving and that milk remains in the ready-supply in the refrigerator.  I typically pumped twice a day while at work (unless I was there late, in which case I would pump another session).  Usually it is advised to try to mirror consumption.  I built my freezer stash with extra pump sessions at random times at home and weekends.  Sometimes I would have milk available at the end of the week to freeze.  

I am now cutting back on pump sessions and dipping into freezer stash, while continuing to nurse on demand at home.   
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"