Special Needs

Orthodontic Hell **UPDATE in OP**

ppantsppants member
edited August 2014 in Special Needs

DS is 8.5 and takes concerta for ADHD.  He's been doing well on it and has experienced a bit of appetite suppression.  He's got a belly so a little weight loss/less food is ok.  He has an underbite which requires quite a bit of orthodontics.  The first step, is placing a fixed appliance/spacer in the roof of his mouth and we have to turn it was a "key"every night.  He'll most likely have it for a year.

His twin sister had an appliance with no issues.  DS got his placed last Wednesday.  This weekend he barely ate and I think he became hypoglycemic.  He was dizzy and vomited.  He has big tonsils also so I feel like this paired with the appliance makes swallowing more difficult than most.  It seems like DS would rather just not eat, than put the work in to get the food down.  He's been to the ENT and since he doesn't snore and hasn't had difficulty eating previously, they are ok for for his body. 

DH feels like DS needs to "suck it up" and learn how to chew and swallow better and more efficiently as it's currently taking quite a bit of time for him to eat anything.  I'm wondering if we should consider a removable retainer that he can take out to eat.  The biggest issue would be losing it at lunch time.  I spoke to the RN at school today about his food issues and she said many kids leave their retainer in their office for lunch and then pick it up after lunch.  Since he's been on meds, he's not lost any items or left anything at school ie lunch bag or water bottle.

I called the orthodontist today to ask about the retainer and he's out of the office until Wednesday.  I'm already tired of trying to "make" him eat and he has a tendancy to get emotional if he's low on food reserves.  Anyone have any experience or thoughts?  Sorry it's so long.   

**UPDATE**

I heard from the orthodontist and the removable retainer is not an option for DS's treatment.  DS has improved in the mechanics of eating and swallowing.  He's still eating a lot less than usual (even after the start of his ADHD meds), but we've not had any more hypoglycemic episodes.  I'm still giving him pediasure to increase his caloric intake. 

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD

Re: Orthodontic Hell **UPDATE in OP**

• I don't have personal experience from the orthodontic angle, but the retainer sounds like a good option if the doctor agrees. As for DH's attitude that DS should suck it up, I'd point out that it's nice to dream.
  •  
    ClaryPax said:
    I think asking the orthodontist is a good step.  In the meantime can you get some of the nutrition drinks in him like Ensure? 
    **Stuck in box**
    I did buy some pediasure yesterday.  He had some with dinner, one with breakfast this am and I sent one in his lunch. 

• Loading the player...
  • DS completely understands why he has to have the device.  He hasn't said it's not fair.  He gets a large breakfast everyday before heading off to school.  He's always been a good eater, hence the belly.  :)  We weren't having issues with food intake until he got the appliance.  The issue at hand is the actual mechanics of eating.  Learning to do it and doing it.  That's what I was wondering if he just needs to figure it out. 

• I remember having a retainer and it was harder to eat, now that I think about it.
    I have found it is impossible to make a kid eat! Your DS may need time to practice and learn. Although, and especially because he is in school and needs to eat, it is easier and just as effective, I'd try the retainer.
  • Another thing to consider is even with removing it to eat eventually the shifting of the bite (the whole point of having it) may affect his eating in a similar way.
    I would at least give it a little time and see if it improves as his throat and mouth muscles adjust to the new set up. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • bubba2b said:
    will he drink fluids? Instant Carnation breakfast with icecream and peanut butter can help with his calories in the morning.

I use liquid calories with dd if her weight is an issue with the dp. But in your case it could help get you through this period either way.

I got pediasure and he's doing ok with it.  He's able to eat PB&J sandwiches so I could try it with ice cream and carnation.  Never know until you try!  :)
  • Is this the thing where there is a big.ass.spring  that goes across the roof of your mouth?  If it is, they SUCK.  I had one when I was in middle or high school (I think late middle).  Homegirl here could not swallow for the first few days.  Seriously I had to have a small bowl at my face to catch my saliva because trying to swallow when your tongue is hitting a giant spring is hard to do.  And then food got caught in it all the time.  Gross.  If this is what it is, I do not envy you or the position your child is in.  They suck, they are uncomfortable, and they are painful after they are adjusted.
  • Yes @MaxandRuby‌ that's pretty much what it is. I only had retainers myself,but it looks awful for him for sure. Orthodontics are no joke.
  • Well then let me just say that yes, there is a big adjustment period.  Imagine something sucking and then multiply it by 1000.  It is really hard to figure out how to eat, chew, swallow, etc. when 1. your mouth is killing you, 2, you are not used to having your tongue "stopped" by a huge spring, and 3. you cannot control the excess saliva that you generate by a foreign object being in your mouth.  Think about trying to eat/swallow with a huge sucker in your mouth that you are not allowed to take out.  That is kind of what it feels like.  They aren't removeable.  In the end he needs to suck it up because there is no other option but my advice is to not be a d*ck/b*tch about it because it will take a few days to figure out how to adjust to it.  Have him eat when/what he can.  Can you tell I have no fond memories of all the orthodontic crap I had to endure....BUT I love my smile and have received many compliments on it.  That wouldn't have happened without going through the hardship.  Be loving and understanding, let him know there is an actual end to the "torture", but also don't let things get out of control with any sort of woe is me type stuff.  :-) 

BTW, after the expander (that is what mine was called), I got to wear the Hannibal Lector (what I called it) head gear and THEN retainers.  Years of orthodontic hell went into my mouth.  :-)
  • I don't think we're being dicks or bitches about the matter. He's had it since Wednesday and I know it's a HUGE adjustment for him. He has to eat enough food or calories to function and not have a hypoglycemic episode where he's puking on the floor again. I called the orthodontist's office. He's out until Wednesday, but left a message for him to call me.
  • FWIW, I think MaxandRuby is referring to the "suck it up" approach as being dickish and bitchy.
  • This is also just the first step in what will take 18-24 months to fix his teeth. After the appliance, he'll have to have braces, and then reverse head gear he'll wear in the house and at night. He understands it's something that has to be done. Having a nice smile is important and all of this still beats having to have his jaw broken and reset.
  • Yeah, I meant don't be too hard on him.  Yes he has to suck it up just don't be harsh about it.  Not that you are, just try not to get that way.  It can be hard.  It truly is uncomfortable.  Hopefully though since he has had it a few days already he is already starting to figure out easier ways to eat or maybe even the best types of food he can eat for now.  You are right though that he does still need to eat enough. It will get much easier to eat when the spring (if that is what it is) gets smaller and when he is fully used to it.  Just make sure he is getting all of the food out of it if any does get stuck in it.  He is going to have a fabulous smile when all of the orthodontic stuff is finished.  Let him know it will be worth it even though it is hard at the moment.  :-)
  • Thanks for all the info ladies. DS said this morning that eating was getting easier. I'll update when I hear back from orthodontist.
  • Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
    edited August 2014
    Usually retainers wouldn't take the place of a spacer. Retainers are usually for post-orthodontic care (IE. After braces) to keep the teeth from shifting. What the orthodontist is trying to do is correct an underbite currently, which stretches the jaw to a proper bite position. Its almost like allowing your body to stretch during birth, but in this case, its a daily slow stretch over a year.

Can you give some pain meds to help keep your DS comfortable? Maybe use the key right before bed, so your DS could sleep through the 8hr period?

I remember how sore I was after i was being tightened. Any soft foods will help, cold pediasure, ice popcicles and frozen yogurt. Pediasure is great, and each one is 240cal!
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Saw your update. Glad he's doing better!
  • He's not really in pain, but I have no problem giving pain meds as needed.  I'm sure he over ate previously due to poor self regulation as part of ADHD.  We are slowing down on the pediasure as he's able to eat more actual food.  Thanks again for all your thoughts!
  • That's great to hear!

Also sometimes when our body is used to a certain caloric intake, and then we diet for whatever reason, sometimes our bodies can get into a hypoglycemia state.

:)

Glad he's feeling better
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am glad that eating and swallowing are becoming easier.  It will continue to get easier and easier until he doesn't really notice any issues.  Super yay for no more hypoglycemic episodes!  Wishing him (and you!) better days ahead!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"