May 2014 Moms
Options

WWYD? Dog troubles

Before DS, my dog was my baby. We had a really hard time training her and even though she is 4, is not too well behaved. She climbs all over everything (she's 12 lbs), barks, tries to escape every time we open the door, and has the occasional accident. We thought she was goofy but since DS was born, it is so annoying. We could live with this and knew we wouldn't get another dog for a long time. Then when she was lying next to me and DS while he was nursing, DS kicked his legs like he loves to do and hit the dog. She growled and snapped at him. Thank god she didn't get him but something in me was done with her at that point. She hasn't snapped again but continues to growl if he touches her at all while sleeping. I don't know what to do. A older lady has always loved her and offered to buy her from us several times. I feel terrible even thinking about it but I was so freaked out when she snapped. She was our baby before our real baby and I don't want to give up. Do you guys think it is no big deal and dogs will be dogs or should we consider giving her away?

Re: WWYD? Dog troubles

• Options
    Have you tried hiring a professional trainer to come to your home?   Internet advice and anecdotes are great but when it comes to something like this I would want a professional to come observe the dog and family in person. There are some details that are just not communicated well over a message board. Also sometimes the solution also involves the setup of the house (where the dog's crate is, for example) which you have to see in person. 
    image   image
                                                          Baby Girl born May 16, 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your mama instincts are spot on IMO.  If one of our dogs ever snapped at the girls, we would be completely heartbroken but looking for a new home.  It is sad, and I know we are not the type of people to throw an animal/family member away when things get hard, but you have to protect your LO.  I guess you could always try working more with your dog, take some obedience classes, etc.  But as i type that I realize who am I kidding?  We are new moms with babies...who has the extra time?  And also, taking the chance that LO may get bit seems like the wrong route to tread.  Good luck and you are blessed to have someone willing to take her that would give your pup a nice baby free home.  Hugs.

• Options
    If you know the woman will care for the dog as you would I think I would rehome.
  • Options
    Thanks this is really hard. When she was a puppy, we spent hundreds (maybe thousands) on professional training. It did help with some behaviors but not all.
  • Options
    Ugh. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. Our golden retriever is also our first baby (he'll be two on Halloween). He's never snapped at her, but instead decides she needs baths *aka licks her all over* every night. I honestly don't know what I would do. I don't think I could rehome my dog the first time it has happened (but you know your dog), but would try and get a trainer in, talk to my vet, and take every precaution with your LO and fur baby before looking at re-homing her. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am sorry you are having to make a decision like this.  I think in this situation, I might first try enforcing some rules like no dogs on the furniture where you are feeding the baby.  If threatening behavior continues though, at least you know she will have a good home to go to.

My vet said he had 14 pets at one point when one of his children was born, and his wife caught one of the cats in the baby's crib peeing on its head.  That cat ended up at the shelter unfortunately.  You have to draw a line somewhere.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"