1st Trimester

MTHFR gene mutation

Has anyone dealt with this during pregnancy? I was recently diagnosed with the heterozygous mutation. Just wondering what it means for during my pregnancy! TIA!

Re: MTHFR gene mutation

• I'm not dealing with this but if you're wondering what it means I'd ask your doctor. He/she should be able to give you a good idea of what it means for you while you are pregnant. 
  • I'm not dealing with this but if you're wondering what it means I'd ask your doctor. He/she should be able to give you a good idea of what it means for you while you are pregnant. 

Obviously I'm going to talk to my doctor about it. I'm not looking for medical advice, just asking about personal experiences.
  • Loading the player...
  • IFinTN said:

I am NOT a doctor--take this info like you would anything from the internet, with caution.

I am compound heterozygous for the MTHFR, meaning I have two heterozygous mutations.  Sounds like you only have 1.  Generally, doctors don't treat a heterozygous mutation on one gene with anything more than some extra folic acid or methyl folate in your multivitamin.  However, if you had a homozygous or compound heterozygous mutation, you may get treatment. Another test that determines if you need treatment is a fasting homocysteine test.  

MTHFR mutations mean you don't convert folic acid as well as others so you may need more of it in your prenatal vitamin. Additionally, it puts you at a higher risk for blood clots-which is why they check homocysteine levels. If your homocysteine is elevated, they may prescribe blood thinners like baby aspirin or lovenox/heparin. 

Talk to the doctor--since you already have children and pgs, I doubt they will do anything with the information other than possibly change your prenatal vitamin,  as you would be very low risk with only one mutation.
    I looked back at my paperwork...I am actually homozygous.
  • Im homozygous C677T. Im on Folbee, high level of folic acid. Im not on any other med or had any other tests. But maybe I should ask more and see about tests. Hmm....
  • @HLA519 wow, really? Your post said "just wondering what it means for my pregnancy." Nobody knows that except for your doctor especially since every person and pregnancy is different. What is the case for one person may not be for another. And no, you didn't make it obvious that you were going to talk to your doctor about it. 
  • I have hetero MTHFR and I am on prescription folate and baby aspirin.  I have to stop the baby aspirin at 22 weeks, Since you do not process folic acid well talk to your doctor about gettin gfolate elsewhere or through a prescription prenatal that uses folate not folic acid.
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• HLA519 said:

Has anyone dealt with this during pregnancy? I was recently diagnosed with the heterozygous mutation. Just wondering what it means for during my pregnancy! TIA!

Oh, and since I forgot, do you know what mutation it is (there's more than one as you can see from this thread)?

I am 677
  • I know someone who has MTHFR and has a healthy toddler, and another one on the way.  I don't know much about the condition but she has to give herself injections and is closely monitored.

Wishing you all the best!  

September Signature Challenge - Picking Apples
                                           photo f7c53e36-91e6-4332-8500-93c11cd2d7e4_zps9338917f.jpg
    photo ac8d6fda-ebe6-411c-b450-ba7f47ed8dd3_zps01e6128b.jpg 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"