Breastfeeding
Options

One angry boob

Hi ladies. I have had some issues crop up in my left breast and hoping for some insight from you ladies. My LO is 12.5 months and still nurses five or more times a day and a couple of night feeds. I have always tried to offer each breast evenly and keep my milk production good on both breasts. I have been lucky to do my classes online and be able to STAH with him so I have not pumped much and he pretty much only gets milk from the boob. He is not getting any WCM because my pedi suspects he might have an intolerance so he only gets BM (and water with solids).

This past week I have been having some escalating issues with my left breast. To start I have had some plugged ducts, which I had before but was able to easily resolve. I have tried to resolve it the same way this time but it seems to be better and then the next day or even later in the day they feel plugged and sore again.

I have been trying to nurse the majority on the plugged side while massaging breast in the knotted area and have also tried hand expressing and massaging in the shower. Both help temporarily but then the knots come right back and my boob feels more sore than ever. Just yesterday I noticed I was also having stinging in the nipple and discovered a cut (crack?) on the underside of my nipple. I have been applying coconut oil to the nipple since I found it. With the soreness and shooting pain in the breast when he nurses plus the stinging nipple it has made nursing on that side extremely painful. I have been trying to let him nurse on that breast first because I know this is how to get the ducts unplugged but after awhile I have to switch. Even when he is not nursing now that breast is very sore and sensitive.

I would appreciate any advice! Thanks ladies!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: One angry boob

• Options
    sounds like thrush to me- it can make the skin on the nipple break down, and it causes shooting pains. i'd check with your care provider.

you could try treating at home in the meantime-- eat lots of probiotic/fermented foods, take a probiotic supplement, take a bath with a generous cupful of vinegar (or apply diluted vinegar directly to nipple after feedings).
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I hate visiting the dr but it looks like I may have to suck it up on this one. In the meantime I will try your suggestions @vvvvvfee‌, I appreciate it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"