May 2014 Moms

Baby wearing, any tips?

I'd like to start wearing DS more but he seems to hate being worn. Today DH and I went for a hike with him in the carrier, he fussed, then cried a little, fell asleep for 20 mins the woke up and screamed until we took him out. DH had to carry him over his shoulder (he likes being carried like that) for a while, when he calmed down we tried him again and he just went right back to fussing. We have Lillebaby which is very similar to the ergo, moby and ring sling, he hates all of them especially the ring sling. Has anyone successfully got a baby to go from hating being worn to liking it? Should I just stick with in the hopes he gets used to it?

Re: Baby wearing, any tips?

• My LO didn't like being worn at first. I have a SSC (boba 4g), and she hated it at first, but adjusted and then loved it. Now though, she doesn't seem to like it as much bc she can't see everything, so I'm trying a ring sling. She seems happier in that, but it is causing me more discomfort. I plan to go to a babywearing meeting tomorrow for further advice. I think I may eventually end up with a wrap, but they are kind of intimidating right now. Don't forget that as they get older, they may love back carries!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Do it in short spurts to warm him up to it. And practice around the house before attempting an outing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Loading the player...
  • Following as well. I'm exactly the same as Chevygrrl91. Have the expensive Ergo- she hates it. Have a cheapo one- only likes it facing forward. My DDs problem is that she only likes facing forward, and HATES being strapped into anything. I've been just carrying her around.
  • Maybe he was too hot.

When I put ds in my ergo he's either in use a onesie or his diaper only. They keep warm with your body heat so no need to layer them.

He likes back carries best but I only do it at home when dh is home for better supervision.
  • I think once he can be back carried he'll be better. The lillebaby does have a forwarded face option but he's too young for it and I wouldn't keep him like that for long. I'll try less clothing and shorter periods. He was ok in it when I went to Costco a few weeks ago, maybe because it was air cond
  • DS hated the moby. HATED it. He tolerated it maybe 3 times. He was fine in a mei tai and the ergo. Such a weirdo. I don't know though if its bad because I'm eyeing a woven, but good because my wallet will thank me.
  • DD loves our cheap hand-me-down carrier, but at first didn't like the wrap-style one we had.  She would start screaming as soon as I put her in it.  To get her used to it (it's a lot easier to get chores done in the wrap since she's not just dangling), I've tried putting her in it for short periods while I do things around the house.  Another thing that helped a lot is breastfeeding her while she's in it.  She will eat herself to sleep and then stay in there as long as I want her to.  Maybe try to associate it with something positive like eating and he won't immediately work himself into a frenzy when he goes in.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • jennish11 said:

I agree with PP that he could've been too hot.  I tried wearing DS a few months ago while I did stuff around the house.  While he didn't mind it, he did get really hot.  I haven't worn him much since then, except for at the part or in the store.

Is he able to look around at things?  If he is holding his head up well you can always try turning him to face outward.  My son love looking at things and would get real irritated if he couldn't see what's around him.

He does ok with his head but not great. He does love to look around and was a little happier when I flipped the neck support down but I don't think he's ready for forward facing yet.
  • Outward is bad for the baby's back and your back. It isn't recommended anymore.

However, should you decide to do it - small small amounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"