Breastfeeding

bad latch on my left breast

I'm having issues with my left breast. DD has a bad latch on this breast and no matter how much i try she doesn't want to nurse as long and i feel she's not getting a lot. When i pump (it's required so please don't tell me to put the pump down. It's either pump and fortify that milk or completely go to formula for her night feeds) my left breast tops out at 1 oz where I get about 2-2 1/2 ozs from my right. Any ideas how to even out my breasts? Or is my left breast going to quit on me :/
IAmPregnant Ticker}

Re: bad latch on my left breast

• I've found if she's on a pillow and i hold my breast she does better...i have to watch very carefully cause she pops off or slides down and just chomps on the nipple. If i pop her off then she just doesn't want to eat anymore.

as for different positions I only know the one we're she lays across my chest. She did awesome with it in the hospital so i was never taught the other ones...
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Thanks @nursedesi that helps a lot. I've been doing the cross cradle hold but the football or side lying position may be better. I'll have to try it next feeding.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • Try a different position! My son would nurse well on one side in every position but for some reason would onle nurse with the football position on the other side
  • I'm having issues with my left breast. DD has a bad latch on this breast and no matter how much i try she doesn't want to nurse as long and i feel she's not getting a lot. When i pump (it's required so please don't tell me to put the pump down. It's either pump and fortify that milk or completely go to formula for her night feeds) my left breast tops out at 1 oz where I get about 2-2 1/2 ozs from my right. Any ideas how to even out my breasts? Or is my left breast going to quit on me :/
    I'm right there with you! DS struggles to latch on to one side but eats like a champ from the other. I've tried every hold, on my own and then with a lactation consultant and she finally put a dropper right next to the troublesome nipple to get my little guy to latch on to the nipple and then pulled out the dropper. If you don't have a dropper use a bottle with your pumped milk to see if that helps get you lo to latch on....
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"