Breastfeeding
Options

For those who have weaned/are weaning from the pump but continuing to BF

So my LO is 11 months and I am switching jobs in 2 weeks. I would like to decrease pumpkin but want to continue to BF on demand on weekends. Is this going to mess me up? I went from 3 to 2 pumps just this week and would ideally want to stay at 2 until she's almost one. Then maybe switch to just 1 pump while at work for a while until I can totally stop. I'm worried I'll be really engorged if I BF 3+ times during the day on the weekends when I go back to work on Mondays? Any advice or experience? I hope to keep BFing for as long as possible! Also I have a history of clogged ducts which I want to avoid! TIA!

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: For those who have weaned/are weaning from the pump but continuing to BF

• Options
    With my first I was able to wean from 2 to 1 to 0 pumps during the work day over two months without any issues.  I continued to nurse mornings, afternoon, and night when we were together and throughout the day on the weekend without any issues.  I stopped pumping around a year and continued to nurse until 18 months.  If you drop the sessions gradually, your body should adjust.  I also changed the times of pumping, so originally I would pump at 10 and 2pm but when I dropped to one session I moved it to noon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I've been stalking the extended post for a few weeks now and just waiting for my turn to post my AW and join in :)

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I stopped pumping at work for dd when she was 1. We continued to nurse as she wanted until 22 months. I never felt engorged or uncomfortable at that point since everything was regulated.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I dropped from 3 to 2 at 13 months and then to 1 at 14 months. Quit completely at 15 months. Still nurse on demand at home (which is a lot on the weekend) and I've been fine (21 months now). I was worried about engorgement too and then having enough at home on the weekends but haven't had an issue. Every person is different though but as long as you gradually make the switch, you'll most likely be fine. Good luck!

• Options
    Your body will figure things out. I stopped pumping at a year, but continued to nurse on demand until almost 2. I did wean from the pump though (dropped to once/day at 11 months).
  • Options
    agree with PPs, you should be fine. i went down to 1 pump/day at 12 months and stopped pumping at 14 months. DS has always nursed on demand on the weekends and i never had issues with engorgement on mondays.

also seconding the lecithin recommendation. you can take it several times during the day when you're away from LO. it seemed to make a difference for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"