May 2013 Moms
Options

Swim Lessons & Ped Advice

We've been doing a baby and me swim lesson for over 3 months now. It's really well structured and a well known program at a swim center. I only mentioned it to the doctor because I had a question about his ears (they're fine). Right away the doctor said that he doesn't recommend "dunking" at all because he said they just drink the water. Our class does have the kids go under water (but we aren't "dunking" them). They build up to it and use a cue words from us. They are never pushed beyond what's safe or what the baby is comfortable with. I've been really happy with the class and am ok with him getting used to going underwater. 

Did anyone else's doctor say anything like that? I'm wondering if he discourages it because he doesn't want parents to feel like their kids are "water safe" (which obviously they can't be!). 

We're going to continue the class and everything, just curious really!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Swim Lessons & Ped Advice

• Options
    We go to a swim class and we dunk and I haven't noticed her drinking the water when we dunk her. If anything she takes a breath and closes her eyes on cue.

We've had a break so she hasn't been to the classes for a month so I'll see what she's like when we go back at the beginning of September.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We haven't done swim lessons yet (it's on my "list") but my LO is consistently drinking her bath water.  Like she takes handfuls of the bubbles and puts them in her mouth.  She also used to lean forward and lap up the water with her mouth but thankfully she has stopped doing that!  My point is, I think it's somewhat natural for them to want to try to drink the water.  And really, how much can they possibly drink?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did swim lessons and I was concerned about "secondary drowning" after my husband and physician all dismissed it I'm more relaxed about it. My LO was dunked but we did what they said and blow in his face prior to dunking so he doesn't inhale water. Seriously, how much water does your doctor think he is going to drink and EVERYONE has accidently swallowed water at some point in their life, be it a pool, lake or ocean.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We have a neighborhood pool and LO drinks the pool water every time we go!  I hate it, and stop her, but she loves to do it.  It doesn't matter if we are in the waterpark type pool that is only 1 1/2 feet...she'll lean down and drink it.  So, dunking has nothing to do with it.  I think it's normal and would only be a big deal in large quantities. 

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Options
    Thanks everyone! My lo attempts to drink the water in the tub too all the time. When we use the cue words in swim class, he seems to so a pretty good job of actually holding his breath when we have him go underwater. The only time he tries to actually drink the water is when he is attempting to blow bubbles. Just curious if any other doc's advised against it. It's been a great swim lesson and I'm glad we did it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I asked our pedi about swim lessons and his response was "do it!!!". We have a pool and even though we have alarms and a pool safety fence, I'm still nervous.

I also mentioned secondary drowning. He said that babies will have a reflex to hold their breath so not to worry about it due to swimming classes. It still makes me nervous but the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"