Breastfeeding

Flange size...

So my nipple runs freely in both the 21 and 24 medela sizes. A lot of my areola pulls in. Pretty much all of it so i decided to try the 21. the same amount of areola pulls in. Is that normal? I think ima stick with the 24 because its a little more comfortable and there isnt a differnce in how much areola gets pulled in.
Anniversary 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Flange size...

• i had a similar problem. The diagrams didn't work for me. I used the 21mm for a while and then about 3 months into pumping, it became uncomfortable so i went to the 24mm. 

I don't really have much advice other than if your output is the same with both and one feels better than the other then use the one that feels better. 

You could also try compressions towards the end of your pumping session to see if all the ducts are being emptied. I remember the instructions saying something about a wrong size flange blocking a duct from being emptied but it's been a while so i'm not 100% sure.
    Rachel (a.k.a. The Analytical Mommy.com and @analyticalmommy on IG)
    I'm just trying to make sense of things :-) 
  • Thanks ya the 21 kind of pinches so ill just stick with the 24. The only issue im having now is it went from taking 20 minutes to empty to 40. Still the same amount just longer
    Anniversary 

• Loading the player...
  • As PP have said, the diagrams didn't really apply to me either, so I went with what was most comfortable. Re: how long it takes you to pump now, @meg&austin, do you feel like the suction is just as good? I would still go for comfort, personally, over time. 
  • Honestly i am worried about my medela PISA. I dont know of its where i like my suction level but it will be going and you can tell by the sound it konda cuts out, it still sucks but you can hear the change in the motor of that makes sense
    Anniversary 

• You are never empty and pumping for 40 minutes is not so great for your breasts.
    That said, go with the more comfortable flange.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd call Medela. Their customer service is pretty good at troubleshooting.
    Ditto this. I had a problem with my motor (we did troubleshooting on the phone) and they overnighted me new parts. 
  • Meg&AustinMeg&Austin member
    edited August 2014

You are never empty and pumping for 40 minutes is not so great for your breasts.

That said, go with the more comfortable flange.

After 20 minutes i used to just go to drips and stop. Now im still squirting at 30. And stop at drips at 40. With the same output
    Anniversary 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"