November 2014 Moms

Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me - What's keeping you up at night? (Long Post)

edited August 2014 in November 2014 Moms

So I just woke up and fantasized about quitting my job and giving my manager two big middle fingers on my way out the door.  I realized I was getting angrier and angrier and that I was not going to get back to sleep no matter how long I laid in bed, so here I am.  I was thinking of other places to apply to work, could I make working part-time a few evenings a week once the baby comes work, and over and over again of all the reasons I want to quit. Which briefly and for the sake of getting them out are: 

1. I've been with this company 2 1/2 years, still in the same entry level CS position.  I have 11 years of call center, customer service and sales experience.  I've been a Sales Coach and Training Coordinator.  This is the longest I've ever been stuck in an entry level position.  And any time the fact that I am dissatisfied and would like to do more is discussed with my managers, I am told "There is a path for advancement here" and then get more work dumped on me.  With no change in title or pay.  

2. My company is essentially run by an absentee landlord.  They were bought out a few years before I came along by an old man who used to run a much larger company, and he runs my company from Wisconsin (we're in PA).  All the really cool/interesting positions are in Wisconsin with him (Marketing, Vendor Relations etc).  My department has a Sales Manager, an Assistant Sales Manager, and a Sales Team Lead.  My department has less than 20 people in it - and not one of us could actually tell you what any of our managers do on a daily basis other than take conference calls and send out an email or two a day.  No one spends any time working with the people in my department on performance, motivation, etc. But when something's not going well...

3. We get vague passive aggressive emails that make everyone think they are about to be fired, even if the problem is only with one or two people.  I don't know how they determine our "performance" anyway because I've had two calls monitored in 2 1/2 years, I have no specific goals, and I think I had 1 performance review after my first year there.   Here's a gem from just this week - 

"If I were to give every one of you what has been asked for over the years…..we would have some areas with recliners, some with doors, some with mirrors, some with climate controlled areas, some with birds chirping a happy song, some with a gentle breeze blowing in your hair- while being fed grapes. 

As you can see…..this is not doable in this type of Sales/Call Center environment.  Each night I leave here…I see that AT & T is hiring…(big building down the street) . I bet their call center environment- REAL start time, REAL ending time,  overall flexibility, getting up for breaks, water, bathroom, time off, etc… isn’t as flexible as we are.

But, if you think they are…"

4. And last, they just fired someone who had been with the company a year and a half who is now finding it impossible to make ends meet.  She is one of the sweetest, kindest people I've ever met.  She's an older lady, and being without work and insurance, she now can't afford two of her prescriptions.  I don't know all the details of how she got fired, but I do know it was after an "efficiency expert" had spent a week with us, they dropped her when the manager she is friends with outside of work was away on vacation, and never did I see anyone working with her or training her to help her improve if they found her lacking as an employee.  This above all else shows me the powers-that-be value their bottom line over their people.

I've stayed this long because last year I was getting married, this year I'm having a baby, and I have a lot of friends among the staff.  Working there day to day is fine.  But the thought of putting my baby in daycare for 40 hours a week to go back there makes me feel very angry and resentful.  I am planning to start looking while I'm out on maternity leave, but for now it's What's Keeping Me Up at Night.

Sorry this initial post got so long; I just have a lot of my mind very early this morning. (and it's still shorter than that crazy baby shower post from a couple weeks ago)  I think this thread could be a good for other things though too - Are you waking up in the night from nightmares? Just need someone to talk to at 4 AM and you don't want to wake your DH/SO?  Tell your Bumpies.  

Thank you for reading!

CafeMom Tickers

N14 January Siggy Challenge - What Sucks About Work

Re: Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me - What's keeping you up at night? (Long Post)

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry about the bad work situations, unfortunately I get it too.  I got a bit of a fake promotion last year, new title but no raise and no shifting of old responsibilities to accommodate new ones, so basically just a bunch of extra work for no extra pay.  Unless they agree to let me drop down to 4 days/week, I'll be looking for a new job while on maternity leave too.  Hope you can find something better!

Unfortunately I can answer the what's keeping you up question for my H not me, what kept him up last night was my snoring :\">  I guess I started sometime during 2nd trimester, I feel bad because if he were a snorer it would annoy the heck out of me too!  But it's not like I can help it, I just hope it goes away after pregnancy!  Last night he kept nudging me to get me to move/stop.  Sorry H.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• Yikes. Not much to add but that does sound toxic. 40 hours a week of toxic is no way to live. Best of luck!
  • Hey, just wanted to say thanks for all the kind words, good advice and support.  Back at it today, and committed to making the best of things until kiddo gets here.  

I did have another sort of nightmare Saturday night where I was trying to paint the nursery and everything was going wrong.  I kept getting paint on things that weren't going to be painted (window frames, bookshelves etc), I spilled bright green paint on the white/cream colored carpet, and then I realized I was painting over murals someone had done on the walls for us.  I think these were so vivid because I actually did work as a painter for a summer once.  There are big sales on Lowe's this weekend on paint for Labor Day, so I am planning to buy the paint and hopefully start on that Labor Day weekend or next week.
    CafeMom Tickers

• I'm so sorry you are going through this! It really sounds like your company doesn't value it's employees. The whole passive aggressive email you quoted in your OP was absolutely rude and ridiculous. I mean, why even send out something like that? That is basically telling employees they ask for too much and should just be happy they have a job. And it really does sound like they are giving you the runaround on opportunities for advancement. It really doesn't sound like there are many unless you relocate.

I know you have a lot on your plate right now with baby, so maybe just focus on that for the time being (I mean, yes, you do have a job and it is tolerable -- right?). But once baby comes and is a little older I would certainly be looking for something different.

Once again, sorry you are in this crappy situation.

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • MrsG1019 said:
    Oh man.. Sorry you're having to deal with all that! I've worked in a call center for 9 years ... A very large one for a major (30,000 employees) auto insurance company & I can't even imagine my company running like yours... Or not getting a raise in that period. Your experience is extremely valuable and I would encourage you to look elsewhere! I've gotten a $15 increase in pay over the last 9 years (still at same entry level duties but that's totally by choice) & a giant bonus annually along with amazing benefits. Your company and management seems to be really taking advantage of you guys and there's nothing more frustrating than that.
    Slight clarification - I've gotten raises but they are same 3% automatic annual raises everyone else has gotten.  So my overall pay since I've started has gone up by $.80 an hour.  

And can I come work for your company?  They sound awesome.
    CafeMom Tickers

• Forget Restless Leg. Im suffering from restless arm and, even better, restless back & shoulders tonight.
    Nurse told me I could stop taking iron after routine blood work last appointment, but like the other 2 times I've stopped it while prego, the RLS has come back.
    Derp, I'm aware my globulin levels NOW test ok indicating no need for iron... they tested ok *because* of the iron I'm taking. It was low before the pregnancy, let's assume it didn't just fix itself in the 3rd trimester.
    Ugh, should I wait til appt next Tuesday to resume iron after I talk to doc, or just start back again tomorrow? I can't stand the twitchies!
  • Forget Restless Leg. Im suffering from restless arm and, even better, restless back & shoulders tonight. Nurse told me I could stop taking iron after routine blood work last appointment, but like the other 2 times I've stopped it while prego, the RLS has come back. Derp, I'm aware my globulin levels NOW test ok indicating no need for iron... they tested ok *because* of the iron I'm taking. It was low before the pregnancy, let's assume it didn't just fix itself in the 3rd trimester. Ugh, should I wait til appt next Tuesday to resume iron after I talk to doc, or just start back again tomorrow? I can't stand the twitchies!
    I would probably call and talk to a nurse, etc about restarting it.  Are you taking other prenatal vitamins with iron?  Maybe they are worried about you having too much - although that doesn't sound like it would be the case if you had an iron deficiency pre-BFP.  Good luck and I hope the twitchies go away!  That sounds unpleasant!
    CafeMom Tickers

• Up in the night again!  No bad dreams, but woke up on my back very sore and stiff, and then realized I was also starving.  I hope all you ladies had a fabulous Labor Day weekend!
    CafeMom Tickers

• I'm up too :( sucks!!! My back is hurting so dang bad. I am laying on a tennis ball right now trying to work out all the knots. Grrrrr
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"