School-Aged Children

kids violin or other instruments at age 5 (besides piano?)

groovygrlgroovygrl member
edited August 2014 in School-Aged Children
is there a way to get a kid into the violin without getting really hard core? We did this awesome musical thing at our local theater w. the orchestra & DD was really into all the instruments in particular the violin & keeps asking about it 6 months later. A family friend who is in an orchestra saw a video of her singing & said that she has good pitch (not a good voice so much LOL) & we should think about introducing instruments early but the only thing I see online about violin lessons at this age is suzuki & that seems very hard core, I cannot see her practicing multiple times a week for the amt of time they recommend... but I am thinking private lessons might be teh only other option. I have to wonder if something a little easier first to learn about notes & stuff like piano might be better... we don't own a piano but they offer lessons at their school.

thoughts?

Re: kids violin or other instruments at age 5 (besides piano?)

• I think you have a few options:

--shop around for a private teacher who will give her traditional weekly 30-minute lessons, but who is comfortable working with a 5 y/o.  Most music teachers are used to working with older kids, so you might have to contact several people.

--shop around for a Suzuki teacher or class that seems less intense.

--keep doing things that cultivate her interest in music, but wait until she's about 7 for actual violin lessons.

When my son was 5, he became obsessed with the flute.  I called our local "Music and Arts" chain and asked whether 5 was too young and was told "Oh, Noooo!  5 is fine. We have kids in here even younger than that. Best to start them early, etc."  I specifically asked if the instructor himself was okay with this and was assured he was. Well, I rented the flute, and booked the lesson time, only to get to the first lesson and be told by the actual instructor that there was no way a kid this young can learn to play the flute, and he didn't know why we were wasting his time.

Honestly, having been through a similar thing with my kid, I'd recommend the "encourage an interest in music but don't go for private lessons at this age" approach. If she's still interested at age 7, try violin or piano at that point, when you may find many more private instructors willing to teach a child that age.  There's substantial cognitive and fine motor development that occurs between 5 and 7, which makes learning to read music and play an instrument far easier and more rewarding.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • LOL at auntie's comment about violin sounds in my house...hahah so true!

I thought that it was probably too early but she keeps asking to play instruments. maybe recorder is the way to go. I have a music app on the ipad that she plays around with but i wish it were more educational & showed the letter with the note, etc...

I'll keep trying to get her to listen to music & point out the instruments we hear, etc I guess... she likes to do that with teh instrumentals on frozen soundtrack so I'll do it more :)

• Loading the player...
  • DesignermommaDesignermomma member
    edited September 2014
    Maybe look into general music classes? There are some where I live at colleges and specific kid music classes to learn rhythm etc. maybe that would get her through a few years till she is old enough to do some serious practice. I started playing the violin in 5th grade. They offered orchestra class at my elementary school (5 & 6th grade only) and then in 6th grade most people switched to band class.

Update: They just announced that they will offer an orchestra program in my area beginning with 4th graders in elementary schools. How neat! (With my luck DS will have nothing to do with it ;) )
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At 3 my DS asked for a fiddle. He had rhythm- We took him to the music store several times and he kept gravitating towards the drums. We finally committed to 30 min lessons a few times a month and a practice pad- now at 6 he owns a drumset and practices small intervals a couple times a week. His twin started asking for a violin at 5--she could sit for the lessons but I did not want to commit to buying or renting a 1/8 th. My Dh decided to wait until she was in a 1/4 th and if she was still hot on the idea we would buy her some private lessons. She was and is now taking lessons. She is learning to read music and play at the same time-so not Suzuki. She and her brother practice a couple times a week in short intervals, it is enough. IMO requiring Nightly is ridiculous and unnecessary for a small child- I refuse to make music, like sports a chore. There are times where they want to play more which is great. Private lessons educate us as well. We video record the lesson (so mom and dad can remember only) and help them fine tune what was taught by the time we meet with the teacher next. Once school offers it we may slack on the lessons some-- that is if they are still interested.
  • We have a piano and plan on lessons around age 7. In the meantime we purchased Piano k which is a progeam that uses animal stickers on the keys and a book with corresponding animal faces on the notes. You could use it with a keyboard. The kids love it and can play basic tunes. At this point I think the satisfaction and excitement of playing is all we are trying to foster. We also have guitars because DH plays and the kids love to play bongos along with him, which teaches rhythm. I've heard from multiple people that ukulele is great to start kids on guitar. DS has one but hasn't taken an interest yet. Right now I think it's about giving them access to quality instruments and letting them explore. You can get a nice set of bongos and have her drum along to music or try other percussion instruments. I encourage getting music quality instruments instead of toys. It teaches them how to care for the instrument and hear what good tone sounds like. Spend and hour or so a week just playing music together and listening to it and she will learn the fun part first.
  • We purchased a Glockenspiel for DD to "noodle" on - it's the same as a keyboard but a lot more fun to bang on. It was pretty reasonable as we purchased it used along with an extra pair of mallets. The first step of course is teaching the basics of sheet music reading...

As for violin - if you want to have it be fun - consider Fiddle lessons instead! We've got an Irish school up the road that offers fiddle lessons as well as some very good private instructors. We're opting for an electric violin because let's face it, there's more "play" with it and volume control. Be aware whichever violin you purchase that it be sized to your LO - we purchased a 4/4 only to discover she really needs a 1/2 or 3/4 size at this age.  The challenge now is budgeting another instrument so she can start to play.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Contact your local HS and see if their band directer could recommend one of their students.  Some members of Tri-M I know do their service hours by giving lessons to younger kids.  You would still need to rent the instrument but I'm sure the lessons would be less of a commitment than booking someone who does this for a living.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know if this perspective will be useful to you, but here goes… I learned piano through the Suzuki method and switched to Royal Conservatory when I was about fourteen years old. I then completed my Grade 10 Royal Conservatory examinations. As an adult, I don't work in music, but I love it and still play regularly. I've also taught music classes to children your child's age and older kids.

The Suzuki method is an incredible approach, but you have to find a teacher that,s the right fit. I started formal classes at age 7 and that was "old" for the really "hard core" Suzuki people. My parents also didn't participate in my practicing like they were "supposed to". But, my teacher was OK with it and she taught me to love music. 

THat being said, I think that 5 might be a little bit young for traditional violin classes. When I taught 5-7 year olds, it was mainly about music appreciation and experimenting with beats, pitch, instruments, etc… We didn't start reading music until the kids were a bit older. The kids didn't have to "practice", they had "music projects" to complete every week. Go for a teacher who has a more creative, non-traditional approach to classes while your child is this young. I greatly value what regular practice teaches a child, but that can come in time… :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"