Baby Showers

"requesting no presents" @ 1 year old birthday party

Hey all, 

I know this isn't a baby shower, but I know you all will have some ideas on what's appropriate for me to bring to this party. It's a one year old's birthday party, and I babysit him. The mom/host requested no presents, but I obviously need to bring something. She's serving lunch and offering other refreshments etc. Is a hostess gift appropriate? I was planning on a card for the birthday boy, just as a sentiment.. maybe they'll keep them as keepsakes too. 

Basically: what would you bring?

Re: "requesting no presents" @ 1 year old birthday party

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, if they requested no gifts, they probably truly want no gifts. I'm with you that I would rather bring something, but you'd probably just be wasting your money.
  • My situation was a bit different because it was for my best friend's daughter (turned 1 this summer), but we ended up doing cash. We were going to do a bond to be put away, but you need a lot of information on someone to buy a bond for them (and it's only done electronically now, so you don't get a paper one). So we did cash to go into the savings/education account that the parents have set up. For her older kids we generally do a book or one toy and then cash for savings. They have a ton of toys and she's always telling me they don't need anything else, so we give something small and money.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Why does the host's need to not fill their house with shit (but still hold a large party) outweigh their guests need to know WTF is expected of them? As a host, your goal is to make your guests feel comfortable. Making your guests feel awkward about whether to bring a gift or if they're going to be the only one who didn't is just bad hospitality. Maybe you're the one person in the world who doesn't give a fuck what people think of you but most of us feel really awkward if we think we did the 'wrong' thing. Even though its doubtful your guests are actually judging each other, it's your job as host not to put that kind of anxiety in people's laps. Plus it's rude to tell people how to spend their money, even just to say 'don't spend it on me'

ALL of this is on the guest, though.  ALL of it.  The host has stated their expectations.  It really is as simple as that.  ALL this other angst is guest driven.  100% guest driven. 

The ONE exception is if the host says "no gifts" then proceeds to still do a gift opening.  Then, yes, the host is making is confusing.  If they say "no gifts" then if guests show up with gifts, they should be put off to the side to be open at another time. 

• I love the idea of bringing flowers for the mother of the birthday boy!
  • meld42meld42 member
    edited August 2014
    Ahhh I just got all of these notifications, hate being mobile most of the time!

Like many of you said, I am pretty sure we were one of the only couples to not bring a gift... I picked out a card that would mean something to the family- so I put some thought into something! 

But, I opted not to bring flowers or balloons or any other hostess gift because I just felt awkward about it, I knew there would be lots of decorations, I didn't know the color scheme etc.. I felt anything I'd bring would just be in the way and clash with her vision/decorations for her party. 

ETA: Thanks for all the opinions! They really helped me decide!
  • This is why you NEVER mention gifts, ever. It implies you were expecting them in e first place and puts your guests in an awkward position. Gifts are never required anyways.
  • cakergirlcakergirl member
    edited August 2014
    Bring a card. It's wierd at age 1 but you could do "a dollar per year of age" for things like this. Keep it minimal, if I were throwing a "no-presents-party" I would be hugely relieved if people actually didnt bring gifts. Nevermind, I somehow missed your update.
  • I went to a no gifts party and brought a small gift anyway and glad I did because everyone else did too. The gift I brought ended up being the little boys favorite too :)

The way I look at it is if the parents truly don't want the gifts they can donate them....either way the gift is going to make some child happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"