December 2014 Moms

Crafty Moms this week

edited August 2014 in December 2014 Moms

@cryssteen I hope you don't mind I started this thread this week!

Mainly I am posting because I've been inspired from previous crafty mom's check ins to start working on something of my own and I want to see more crafty mama's work this week so I can get more inspiration! I found a mobile that I fell in love with for LO and DS' future superhero room but it was like $90 on etsy so I decided to try my hand. I've only done one so far but I hope it's looking ok. I posted the one from etsy and then my attempt at Captain America. Show me what you got, ladies!

Edit: I can't type.

D14 November Siggy Challenge: The feels of 3rd trimester...

imageimageimage

Re: Crafty Moms this week

• These are great! Sorry I didn't get to this thread this week. So busy! I got nothing done, but DH is out of town this weekend so I plan on girling out and getting crafty!
  • Yay I finally have something to share! The following pics are the crib skirt I made , the dresser we painted (it use to be black), the elephants I painted onto her bookshelf, and the letters spelling out her name that we painted (they will eventually go on the wall). 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby girl due 12-13-14!

D14 October siggy challenge
                        DD two years ago, my adorable little pirate

• Loading the player...
  • I love seeing what all the crafty mommas have been up to! I've been uninspired lately, but hoping to get on track as we start getting LO's room in order. @leosmom25 I love the idea for the mobile and your Captain America...I wonder if I could do something similar with sailboats....

Married 11/9/13
    TTC since Jan 2014
    BFP 4/4/14, EDD 12/06/14
    image BabyFruit Ticker

• @leosmom25 love the little Captain America! super fun ;)

@teeta_81 I saw a mobile like that on pinterest, too, and I really like it. Hope it turns out how you are imagining it!

I haven't actually gotten anything done this week, but I am planning to sew a ruffled crib skirt. And I got the fabric for it. I'm going to follow this tutorial. I'm a newbie seamstress, so wish me luck. 

Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
    MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• teeta_81 said:
    @megbmeg‌ I love that crib skirt.
    me too! It will be the first (only?) really girly thing for the nursery, at least so far. That's why I want it so much! We'll see if mine ends up looking like that at all...
    Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
    MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• I got super crafty this week and bought a bunch of stuff to start projects. I don't have a sewing machine so had to borrow one from a friend, and I'm hoping to start the sewing projects this week.

Everything I've made/am making is from Pinterest (of course!). So far, I've made a mobile and started knitting the blanket. The crib skirt, door jammer, and crib guard rail will all be made out of the same material so it'll match nicely. Oh, and I started some throw pillows but haven't sewn them together yet.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I made the baby's curtains this week, unfortunately, I can't get my husband to hang the curtain rod so no pictures yet :( 
    I have another pair of shoes cut out and my fabric for the burp clothes came in so I will hopefully get those all done next week! 
    I'm going to be sad when all my crafts are done :( 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @teeta_81 those are cute! Thanks for the link!
    Married 11/9/13
    TTC since Jan 2014
    BFP 4/4/14, EDD 12/06/14
    image BabyFruit Ticker

• teeta_81 said:

Haven't posted in these threads before because I haven't been getting much done, but I started to make this mobile yesterday.  I am doing butterflies and dragonflies in purple, teal, and pink.  I have a bunch of dragonflies cut out and I am going to start stringing them this weekend.  Hopefully it comes out like I am picturing.

Butterfly mobile full
    So I love this mobile. So much in fact that I made it for my dd.(2 years ago)..and it's still hanging in the closet bc I couldn't figure out how to hang it from the vaulted ceiling. Let me know when you figure it out. I'll post a pic of mine tomorrow :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • @teeta_81‌ @megbmeg‌ @ninee88‌ Thank you! I'll post the rest when I get around to them but I was trying to decide first if it was even cute enough to go on. I'm my own worst critic but thank you!

Everyone's stuff is so cute, I wish I knew my way around a sewing machine but I could never get the hang of it.

imageimageimage

•  

imageimageimage

• Didn't finish any this week, but I'm working on a crib skirt and wood letters to hang over the crib.
  • Married 11/9/13
    TTC since Jan 2014
    BFP 4/4/14, EDD 12/06/14
    image BabyFruit Ticker

• Love that butterfly mobile- wow!!

Made six paper flowers in primary colours for wall decorations. Started to knit a wee cardigan.
  • Making more pillows!!! I think I'll take a trip up joann today to get some fabric for the rail guard and crib skirt!
  • @Mousy234 those are awesome!

@cryssteen I am so jealous of your sewing machine talents, that looks amazing

@courtd2 can you please come to my house and bring your skills and superhero-fy my boys' room? Pretty please? I bake a mean cheesecake, I can trade my skills for yours. Also, I kind of wish I had seen that mobile you posted before I attempted the one I'm making because it seems like much less work. I'm already committed to mine so I'll keep y'all posted on the progress!

imageimageimage

• @leosmom25‌ I literally just learned how to use it. I went to a training session at Joann's. I'm not very good... The yellow stich is supposed to be curved.... Oh well
  • @leosmom25 funny you say that! I'm enjoying a slice of grocery store cheesecake right now. I'd love to trade skills. I can't cook anything in my oven!I blame the oven... but we all know who's to blame here. The pregnant lady. I can't wait to see your mobile when it's done. I haven't started mine. But I don't have a crib yet, either. 
    first time mom
    BOY  07/12/14
  • @courtd2‌ did you have any issues with the glider? We bought a glider off the woman we got our house from 4 years ago and I want to re-do it. I quilt and have a ton of fabric, I just wasn't sure how difficult it really was.
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• My mom starts on our crib quilt tomorrow, and I'll help with it on Saturday! I'm super excited to put together this nursery.  

Fantastic job on the Glider re-do.  I'm hoping to find one at a garage sale soon (fingers crossed)
  • courtd2courtd2 member
    edited August 2014
    @Shortstack06 It wasn't that hard actually! The cushion re-build was the hardest part. I traced theshape of the cushion onto the fabric and pinned it to the sides where I wanted to sew the lines, and drew on it with fabric chalk. 

When it came to the buttons, I used embroidery thread and cut out pieces of foam to go over the plastic buttons. Sewing the covers for the cushions themselves was super easy. I had to hand sew the back of the bottom cushion shut since I didn't add a zipper. But I plan on making new cushions if I have a baby girl in a year or 2. Even made my own polka dot strings and velcro straps to keep the cushions tied/velcroed to the wooden bars on the chair.

I used this tutorial as a guide: https://re-polished.blogspot.ca/2012/04/glider-makeover.html
    first time mom
    BOY  07/12/14
  • I made these center pieces for the baby shower! I love mason jars...
  • Ohhh, I am so proud and have to share. I spent a few hours watching loom knitting videos and decided to try it out. SO I went to the craft store and bought a loom set, and knitted these hats with yarn I already had. The red on is newborn sized, and the purple on is for DD. Too me less than five hours for both!

I've NEVER finished a knitting project before, so it was exciting to see how easy loom knitting is. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @brownmouse I LOVE loom knitting, it's the only way I know how to knit! Those are adorable.

imageimageimage

• New to the forum but I do LOVE crafting!! Made this mobile yesterday. We have 12 ft ceilings and it will hang from it, so the ribbons are much longer than the "inspiration" piece. It won't be anywhere near her face though - unless she's born 6 ft y'all ;);) haha!! Loooove all of y'all's ideas! I need to get sewing ASAP too!!
  • Don't know why my other pic didn't pull through.
  • I love that mobile and the hot air ballons!!! So cute!

DS1: 12/17/2014
    DS2: born sleeping at 26 weeks on 8/8/2016 due to chromosomal deletion
    Pregnant with baby 3 -  EDD 9/14/2017

• Fun! I made these hot air balloons as wall decor.
    @laurafketa

Oh gosh, I love the hot air balloons!! Where did you find the picket fencing for the basket? I think I need to add some of these to his room!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Finally started on my crafting projects today! Made a bib and two burp cloths; more bibs are on deck plus a hanging hamper, pillows, cushion for rocker/glider, sleep sacks, teething pads for our baby carriers, and cloth stacking blocks.

DS born 10/22/2008
    DD born 12/23/2014

m/c @10wks 12/2007
    m/c @4wks 3/2014

• Anna930 said:
    @brownmouse - love loom knitting - it's so fun and mindless, I just sit there knitting away while hubby and I watch TV at night. Actually was at JoAnn last weekend with some coupons and bought some yarn for a baby hat for little guy - was the first clothing/hat I've made specifically for him... definitely had more meaning to it than random hats I've made in the past to give/sell.  Was kinda excited/bummed that the hat took less than an hour! More yarn!!
    This my problem... Baby hats knit up SO fast, that I find myself making more and more. I have more yarn, but I've made at least two hats in each color combo I have, and I don;t have enough to make one adult hat..... MOAR YARN!

• Oh you guys.... I picked up loom knitting quicker than expected, and now I think I have a problem.... 13 baby hats (only three of which I have made specifically for other babies) and two for my daughter.... And I NEEEEED moar yarn!

Those are so cute! I just watched a youtube tutorial on loom knitting - I can't wait to try it out.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • JRod13 said:
    Oh you guys.... I picked up loom knitting quicker than expected, and now I think I have a problem.... 13 baby hats (only three of which I have made specifically for other babies) and two for my daughter.... And I NEEEEED moar yarn!

Those are so cute! I just watched a youtube tutorial on loom knitting - I can't wait to try it out.
    It's SUPER easy. Like almost foolproof easy. I know hot to needle knit(sort of) and that is SOOOO much harder. Granted, I am only doing e-stitches, not purling or anything fancy, but for baby hats, fancy isn't really necessary. It literally takes me like an hour including making the pom-poms, so its good practice for bigger stuff. Now I have sets of three hats in each color combo. Haha! I need to get some different colors and try new stitches.

• I tackled cushions for my grandmother's old rocking chair! Sewing is becoming an addiction.
  • I made a dream catcher :)
  • Loom knitting videos inspired me to attempt it. So tonight I made my first hat. It's not very good but it's a start!!
  • Shoot! I totally meant to take pics for you guys before leaving the house this morning :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"