July 2014 Moms

Reflux anyone?

Took DS to a 6 weeks well baby visit today and after discussing my healthy big boy doctor also determined that he does have acid reflux as I suspected. We've been dealing with fussy evenings and nights since about 2 weeks old. I was referring to these episodes as " colicky episodes". He won't sleep laying flat. He spits up a lot. He swallows half of what he spits up and cries when it happens. Gave him his first does of Zantac tonight and am hoping for a much happier baby to come! Anyone else have a reflux baby?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Reflux anyone?

• I'm thinking my son has silent reflux. I'll discuss it at his next appt on Tuesday. Pretty much the same symptoms as your son.

My nephew was diagnosed with reflux too and was put on medication. He still throws up but it isn't painful and he doesn't cry anymore after doing so. Hoping your son finds relief! My sister said he was a completely different baby after starting his medication. Much more happier

imageimage

• My daughter just got diagnosed with reflux today.  Pharmacy is filling her script and I hope it works.
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter was just diagnosed with silent reflux. Her only symptoms were fussiness from about 4-8, she would attack her bottle at these times and only eat about an ounce or two at a time. Sometimes she would straighten her legs and arch her back during a feeding while crying and gave biiiig wet burps after a feeding. She never spit up, and I had no idea. She was on Similac Advance now shes on Similac Sensitive and gets 1ml of Zantac twice a day.

I havent noticed a difference yet, she just started yesterday but I will let you know!
  • Pretty sure my daughter has silent reflux. She's drooling a lot and I can hear her trying to swallow it down within the hour after a feeding. I have to prop her up and can feel a wet spot where her mouth is on the mattress. Its always clear, not milky spit up. Shes fussy, gassy and doesn't like to be laid down. I'm on my 4th formula, Good Start Soothe and the gas is better, but she's still got the reflux. Hoping for a solution to ease all our babies, it sucks to see my girl in discomfort. My son spit up milk, but it wasn't painful like this obviously is for her.
  • Yes. I ebf and I was talking about this on the random thread. He was diagnosed with reflux and will start zantac tonight. The doc said it may take a fee days to take effect. But I'm hoping the 6 hour scream fests are over.
  • Pretty sure my daughter has silent reflux. She's drooling a lot and I can hear her trying to swallow it down within the hour after a feeding. I have to prop her up and can feel a wet spot where her mouth is on the mattress. Its always clear, not milky spit up. Shes fussy, gassy and doesn't like to be laid down. I'm on my 4th formula, Good Start Soothe and the gas is better, but she's still got the reflux. Hoping for a solution to ease all our babies, it sucks to see my girl in discomfort. My son spit up milk, but it wasn't painful like this obviously is for her.
    My LO has the drool and the night when we had our scare she was drooling  A LOT and had a wet spot on her bassinet. Is she on zantac?
  • Csltdk said:

My daughter was just diagnosed with silent reflux. Her only symptoms were fussiness from about 4-8, she would attack her bottle at these times and only eat about an ounce or two at a time. Sometimes she would straighten her legs and arch her back during a feeding while crying and gave biiiig wet burps after a feeding. She never spit up, and I had no idea. She was on Similac Advance now shes on Similac Sensitive and gets 1ml of Zantac twice a day.

I havent noticed a difference yet, she just started yesterday but I will let you know!

Attack her bottle...haha! It's not funny but when you put it that way it is. DS def gets mad at my boob when it's bothering him. He also does the back arcing and stiffens up. That is actually what prompted doc to suggest reflux since LO is 6 weeks and can stand, hold his head up really well and likes to sit up with just me holding his body. He said reflux babies are generally stronger. He gets .75ml of Zantac twice a day. Keeping my fingers crossed our babies get to feeling better. I hate seeing their little faces in pain!

• @lowen83‌ wow I didn't know reflux babies are stronger. My son does the EXACT same thing as far as wanting to stand up all the time and bring able to hold his head. Thank you for pointing that out! I'll make sure to let the pedi know

imageimage

• We started Zantac Monday. dr. Said it takes a week or 2 for results. LO seems to only have one or two episodes a day the past couple days. Hoping it continues to improve. dr. had us prop up The mattress in the crib. we got a 2 inch wedge to put under the mattress from bru. also holding up right after feeding for 20 to 30 mins before laying down. reflux is awful. it's hard to see ur baby in pain. dr. Said reflux will continue to get better. most are done with it at 4 to 6 Months. good luck ladies.

@abundancenow‌
    I think you just helped me realize that my LO has reflux.

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• We started the meds on Tuesday. .75 twice a day. Our symptoms were the screaming between 5-8pm, kicking legs/arching back throughout day, little spit up (not painful), not liking to lay flat (sleeping in RnP as a result), and most concerning to me was the choking/gagging when NOT eating...it would wake him up even and he would seemingly be choking on nothing. 

Since Tuesday the choking/gagging symptom has pretty much already disappeared & the kicking/arching/screaming in pain has gotten a bit better. Hoping it continues to improve & I can transition him to the crib soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • @lowen83‌ wow I didn't know reflux babies are stronger. My son does the EXACT same thing as far as wanting to stand up all the time and bring able to hold his head. Thank you for pointing that out! I'll make sure to let the pedi know

Yea I didn't either. Crazy huh. That's why I love my sons doctor!!

• glitterclawsglitterclaws member
    edited August 2014
    We've been on Zantac for a month and a half now. It really does work. LO has transitioned to his crib from the RnP and is lying flat to sleep for 4.5hrs overnight without any crying, arching, etc associated with the reflux.

We just need to still be very careful to prevent projectile vomits. We do 20-30min upright after feedings. We also only do 2oz feedings even though he's almost 3mo. It's 2oz, try for burp, hold hungry baby upright for 15-30min and feed 2oz agIn if necessary. We find that any more than 2oz at a time ends in Mt. Saint Micah exploding. During the day he will eat 2oz once an hour or so. Very time consuming. We have been on nutramigen formula to try to help with his stomach sensitivities.

Eta - just wanted to add that I find it difficult to get on a real schedule during the day even though LO is almost 3mo because of the frequent feedings and frequent vomits.
    //

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

::formerly csmith - regular/lurker since Nov13:: 
  • @csmith0085‌ you poor thing and your poor LO! That's terrible reflux. My gf's son had reflux almost as bad as that and all I can say is God has a special place for moms who have to deal with that! Glad it's getting better.

• @csmith0085‌ I am literally going through the same thing with DS. He was diagnosed with acid reflux and a formula intolerance at the same time so we are now on alimentum and he takes 1.1ml of Zantac twice a day. It helps him so much and pretty much immediately. He went from crying hysterically every time he was awake, and projectile vomiting every time he ate, to actually smiling and just relaxing. He still vomits if we don't burp him after every ounce, so we have to be careful. But, he is such a different baby and he's only been on it for 3 days. He eats 4-6 oz when he eats but he eats so sporadically that it's difficult to be on a routine also. The best part, he's actually sleeping! Not falling asleep after crying for 3 hours and waking up 30 minutes later to do it again.

• My baby is doing this exactly. She is fussy every evening from 4-8 and throws up when she eats. She also wants to eat immediately after she throws up and will scream if I don't let her. We have been using the infant enfimal. Thanks for the info I will call her doctor to see if they think this is what's going on. I've been going nuts every evening and was wondering what was happening to my otherwise happy baby!
  • We just started zantac 2 days ago. I pray it works.
    image.
  • shortstack930shortstack930 member
    edited August 2014
    After reading all this I'm wondering if DD has silent reflux! She never spits up but refuses to sleep flat, likes to be held so she's sitting up, and she arches her back and seems stressed out sometimes while at the boob. I didn't realize that could be reflux! Thanks guys, I'll make sure to talk to the pedi about it!

ETA: question--did your pedis diagnose reflux just based on symptoms or did they do some sort of test? I have reflux myself and they had to stick a tube down my nose to diagnose it. I would be a nervous wreck if they had to do that to DD.
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• After reading all this I'm wondering if DD has silent reflux! She never spits up but refuses to sleep flat, likes to be held so she's sitting up, and she arches her back and seems stressed out sometimes while at the boob. I didn't realize that could be reflux! Thanks guys, I'll make sure to talk to the pedi about it!

ETA: question--did your pedis diagnose reflux just based on symptoms or did they do some sort of test? I have reflux myself and they had to stick a tube down my nose to diagnose it. I would be a nervous wreck if they had to do that to DD.

Yikes. My pedi has made all recommendations based on the symptoms. No tests. Hopefully that's the case for your LO!!
    //

• Ok so reflux doesn't have to be an all the time thing, but can just be certain times of day? I'm curious because my LO seems to have the worst gas discomfort in the afternoon and evening--back arching, crying, spit up, legs stiffening and then flailing, stuff like that. We have a pediatrician appt on Monday,and I'd been wanting to ask him about it and this thread will give me some useful info! The nurse I spoke to over the phone last week wasn't extremely helpful so maybe this will help my little guy out.

• ADC1979 said:

Ok so reflux doesn't have to be an all the time thing, but can just be certain times of day? I'm curious because my LO seems to have the worst gas discomfort in the afternoon and evening--back arching, crying, spit up, legs stiffening and then flailing, stuff like that. We have a pediatrician appt on Monday,and I'd been wanting to ask him about it and this thread will give me some useful info! The nurse I spoke to over the phone last week wasn't extremely helpful so maybe this will help my little guy out.

My LO ate like an angel for motn feedings and morning feedings but after 3:00, forget it she was a different baby.

Pedi never did any physical exams all based on symptoms ( and er visit)
  • Those of you giving your lo's meds, are they taking it ok? Mine spits it out every time and I'm not sure if she is swallowing any at all. I've tried giving it to her in a syringe and in a mini bottle meant for medicine. Any tips?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Csltdk said:
    My LO ate like an angel for motn feedings and morning feedings but after 3:00, forget it she was a different baby. Pedi never did any physical exams all based on symptoms ( and er visit)

This. Exactly what happened for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • kam3100 said:

Those of you giving your lo's meds, are they taking it ok? Mine spits it out every time and I'm not sure if she is swallowing any at all. I've tried giving it to her in a syringe and in a mini bottle meant for medicine. Any tips?

We use the syringe and give it too him when he's starving. And as soon as I get the meds in I pop a bottle in his mouth so he starts eating. Doesn't really help if you are EBF (I'm not sure if you are or not), but maybe if you are you can line up the boob to immediately follow? :) it doesn't work 100% of the time, but we do see some success that way. He definitely doesn't like the taste.
    //

• kam3100 said:

Those of you giving your lo's meds, are they taking it ok? Mine spits it out every time and I'm not sure if she is swallowing any at all. I've tried giving it to her in a syringe and in a mini bottle meant for medicine. Any tips?

I mix meds in an ounce of breastmilk. LO takes it no problem.
  • lowen83lowen83 member
    edited August 2014
    I hold him in my arms like when you bottle feed a baby and squirt the syringe in the back of his cheek. He makes a horrible face but once he swallows I nurse him to get rid of that nasty taste.

• My LO has been on Zantac for 3 weeks. At first it was a nightmare, she hated it and spit most of it out. Took us a couple days but we've got it down now. I took the bottle back up to CVS and had them add grape flavoring. She took it much much better after that. Also just go slow with the syringe, just a small amount each time. It takes us about 15 min to give her the full .8ml and we put it right in her cheek about midway. Not too far back and not too close to the mouth. Sometimes we do stick a paci in after each squirt and she'll swallow. Time consuming, yes, but worth it. We have a happy girl now!
  • So now after reading this thread I wonder if this is what LO has. She makes these weird noises often like she's trying to breathe in but she can't catch her breath and it's a super high pitched breathing in noise. Sometimes it will happen while feeding and she will make a choking noise, followed by screaming and it's super hard to her her latched again to where she will eat. She's hungry and she wants to eat, but she will frantically suck for a few seconds and then unlatch arches her back and scream bloody murder, and just keep doing that pattern until she either wears herself out enough to wimper a littlenwhile she's eating or passes out in sleep. The only way she stops crying is if I hold her up like I'm burping her but she doesn't have any burps left and she sucks my shoulder because she's hungry. I assumed she wasn't happy with the milk flow being either too much or not enough, but I haven't figured out which one she's mad about because there isn't a good pattern. I will definitely be talking to the Dr on Tuesday during our 2 month checkup.!
  • Kimmi1982 said:

My LO has been on Zantac for 3 weeks. At first it was a nightmare, she hated it and spit most of it out. Took us a couple days but we've got it down now. I took the bottle back up to CVS and had them add grape flavoring. She took it much much better after that. Also just go slow with the syringe, just a small amount each time. It takes us about 15 min to give her the full .8ml and we put it right in her cheek about midway. Not too far back and not too close to the mouth. Sometimes we do stick a paci in after each squirt and she'll swallow. Time consuming, yes, but worth it. We have a happy girl now!

I think this is what I need to do. He keeps spitting it out. I have the medicine bottle and mixed beat milk in there but it just pours out which lead to him getting fussy at the breast. Maybe a little flavoring will help. I'll try taking it there today!
  • CsltdkCsltdk member
    edited August 2014

So now after reading this thread I wonder if this is what LO has. She makes these weird noises often like she's trying to breathe in but she can't catch her breath and it's a super high pitched breathing in noise. Sometimes it will happen while feeding and she will make a choking noise, followed by screaming and it's super hard to her her latched again to where she will eat. She's hungry and she wants to eat, but she will frantically suck for a few seconds and then unlatch arches her back and scream bloody murder, and just keep doing that pattern until she either wears herself out enough to wimper a littlenwhile she's eating or passes out in sleep. The only way she stops crying is if I hold her up like I'm burping her but she doesn't have any burps left and she sucks my shoulder because she's hungry. I assumed she wasn't happy with the milk flow being either too much or not enough, but I haven't figured out which one she's mad about because there isn't a good pattern. I will definitely be talking to the Dr on Tuesday during our 2 month checkup.!

Yup this is her after 3:00. Then she overheats from screaming and it's not exactly cold outside. She's been on Zantac for 3 days and she's a little better but still in pain

Edit words
  • honeybee434honeybee434 member
    edited August 2014
    Did anyone else have issues with their LO being sleepy when they started Zantac? The pedi put us on a dosage of 1ml twice a day, and DD has been sleeping like none other since about midnight. I can barely wake her up to eat! And if I can get her to eat, it's not very long. She did have her 2 month shots on Tuesday, but she was fine and alert yesterday so I don't get why it would be making her this sleepy 2 days after. The only new thing is the Zantac we started yesterday afternoon.
  • I have suspected that my LO has had reflux since she was born.  She has had bad projectile vomit and fussed a little while feeding.  But, she was eating fine and gaining weight so we considered her a "happy spitter".  When we transitioned her to her crib from the rock and play she started having problems eating at night so was prescribe Zantac.  After only 2 days it is working like a charm!  She's eating at night and barely spitting up.  

Also, we did elevate her mattress a little on one side with a rolled up towel to help as well.  In addition, we also took her to the chiropractor.  I suspect the combo of all of these is what made such a quick turn around.
  • @ZeroZeroOne‌ How long has yours been on their meds? I will probably give this until tomorrow afternoon and if it doesn't let up a bit call the pediatrician. I'm worried she isn't eating enough today. She's sleeping so hard I can't do much without her getting super fussy and just wanting to sleep more!
  • Once I noticed the Zantac working which was on day 3 he slept like no other on day 3 and 4. I think he was making up some ground from not sleeping well due to the reflux.

• Thank you both! Hopefully she is just catching up on some sleep and this will only last a couple of days!
  • Anyone given nizaridine instead of Zantac ....we were given this today but it looks like everyone else has been given Zantac to deal with the reflux
  • honeybee434honeybee434 member
    edited August 2014
    DD is back to her normal sleeping/awake/eating time thankfully AND we had our first day where she didn't have some type of complete meltdown during eating! One small cry thay lasted just a little bit, but I can't believe how much of an improvement it is already! Thank you to everyone on here because I wouldn't have even suspected reflux without this thread!

I'm not dealing with an issue where she hasn't pooped in almost 36 hours, though. Just lots of gas. I swear I just cannot win this week!
  • Question for all those LO's that were diagnosed with reflux...
    Did LO cough a lot when this was happening ...sitting up but especially laying down
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"