Babies: 3 - 6 Months

XP: bottles vs sippy cups vs straw cups

XP with the breastfeeding board: I'm going back to work next week and LO will be 6 months in the beginning of Sept.  He's been refusing bottles since 3 months and no matter what we've done (and we've tried everything we could think of) he just won't go back to the bottle.  H has had some luck slowly pouring BM from a sippy cup (valve removed) into his mouth but LO has been slapping the sippy cup away for the last couple of weeks.  A friend who's a speech path said to use a straw cup, sippy cups are bad but I think he's still too young for a straw cup.  His pedi says to not worry, his survival instincts will kick in and he'll take a bottle.  Now I'm not sure what we should do, bottle, sippy cup or straw cup.  Just wondering if any of you have had LOs who refused bottles and never went back.  Did you end up using a sippy cup or a straw cup?  If so, how did you go about getting LO to take it?  TIA!

Re: XP: bottles vs sippy cups vs straw cups

• flclflcl member
    @mamabear329: just wanted to let you know that my XP on the breastfeeding board is getting more responses.  Not sure if you can use the info....
  • flclflcl member
    @kimbus22: Thanks. You're right, I've never heard of that either.  I just wasn't sure if we should try bottle or just move onto the straw cup.  We've decided to try both.  He's a lot more interested in the straw cup but he's needs a lot of help with it still.  My H was able to get him to drink almost 4 ounces and I was gone for just over 8 hours so that's a start.  Hopefully tomorrow will be even better.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I think at not quite 6 mos he will start to take the bottle.  My DD did not take a bottle after 2.5 mos but I didn't really need her to.  She learned how to drink out of a straw right around 6 mos but she didn't get much liquid out.  We used a take n toss cup since those do not have a valve on it.  They are just a normal straw to drink out of but will be easy to learn from.  And yes the do spill easily.

I would push the bottle and also have a straw cup.  Ditch the sippy cup.  Good luck!
  • tcam2012tcam2012 member
    edited August 2014
    I think my daughters were a little older but I did straw cups before sippy cups. I put two fingers at the top of the straw to show them where to stop so they could suck and they were champs at it. ETA- I started with the take & toss cups also. Later I added in the straw cups with the valves for car rides.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"