December 2014 Moms

Fit Friday

Hallelujah, it's Friday!!
BTW, this is a check in for anyone who is trying to be active during pregnancy. Jump on in if you're new. 

Hello to all the Fit Friday-ers. So how did your week go? Any fitness successes? Any struggles you're running into? 

This week was a pretty rough one for me because I teach and the fall semester just started up. Week 1 is always chaotic, so I'm hoping it'll get better, but workouts were one of the first things to fall by the wayside when I got so busy and worn out this week. So my question for you all is...
QOTW: When you fall off the fitness wagon, how do you motivate yourself to get back on? Or, how do you sneak fitness into your schedule? 

Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

Re: Fit Friday

• This week was okay considering I was off of work and went away for two days.  I worked out everyday except for Sunday when I went to my cousin's bridal shower and proceeded to come home and go to bed at 6:00 pm!  We went away Monday and Tuesday but the hotel had an amazing gym so I worked out there.

I was supposed to get up for a fitness class at 9am today but my husband was off of work and offered to get up with DD, so I chose to sleep in instead! At this moment I am trying to motivate to go out for a run. I would have to push DD in the stroller and that is so much harder, which is why I am having trouble getting up the energy!

QOTW: I've never really fallen off the wagon completely.  The most time I've ever gone without working out in the past 18 years is the 4 weeks I had to take off when I had DD, and even then I was going for walks. I do get into slumps where I get bored with workouts but I know I'll eventually get back into the swing and ramp it up again. Sometimes I do look at the motivational fitness stuff on Pinterest  when I need a boost though.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I hurt my back last week and couldn't do much for about a week :(.  Went to massage which helped and tried to get back into it this week.  Managed to do a short workout at the gym on Tuesday and went for a walk on Thursday. Was supposed to go to the gym today, but we went to a surprise birthday party last night and stayed out way too late.  Will try to get an exercise video done at home instead.  
    QOTW: I'm starting back at work next week and know that in order to not fall off the wagon I need to start by getting into a new routine.  I've already signed up for a prenatal class on Sunday mornings, so hopefully having paid up front will help motivate me.  I also go to the gym with a girl that I work with, so I will tell her that I will go to the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays with her.  Usually if I commit to doing something and someone else is counting on me, it is easier to make myself go.  
    BFP #1 - 03/13 Ectopic @ 5 weeks
    BFP#2 - 09/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #3 - 12/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #4 - 04/14   EDD - 9/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi all, new to this thread. I've been doing Crossfit for over 3 years, so decided to keep it up during the pregnancy as much as possible. I've found that 2 days on, 1 day off, is a good schedule that keeps me feeling energized but not exhausted. 

This week was good, I worked out Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri. DH has been rehabbing a knee injury for several months but I convinced him to join me for my workout this morning, and it was a lot of fun. 

QOTW: Since starting Crossfit I haven't really fallen off the wagon. Having new workouts to do everyday is part of what keeps me motivated. Also, the ice cream needs to be offset somehow. As for the schedule, I workout first thing in the morning. Then it's over and done with and I don't have to worry about finding time for it later.
    DD born December 2014!
  • @gradschoolmom1234 That is what I was telling myself!  Plus school starts in a week and a half, so days like this are limited. I am not looking forward to my 5am alarm clock!
  • Hey ladies, had a pretty good week this week monday went outside during lunch for a nice long walk/jog, tuesday cardio tone, wednesday kickboxing, thurs cycle n sculpt and today I'm on the elliptical because my meeting ran long and I missed the start of step n sculpt. Bummed though because I weighed myself last thurs and I was only up 3 lbs this month (got scolded last month with 8 lbs in a month) then weighed myself today and I'm up 5 more, 5 in a week, really?! And the only thing unhealthy I had this week was pizza and a bagel yesterday. Salads for lunch, chicken for din, eggs or oatmeal for breakfast, who knows?! Body is doing what it needs to I guess.

QOTW: because my gym is at work and is free and we have awesome instructors and classes, I haven't fallen off the wagon unless I'm on vacation, in 3 years. Yay! Always excited to take a break from the desk and get to the gym. Happy Friday ladies!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also gained 5 lbs between last appointment and this appointment, despite all of my workouts and eating healthy. I think this is a common time to gain, right?
  • @colliebabe Wow, 6 days of working out despite going away for a couple of days. Impressive!!

@anna930 good idea about combining some strength training with TV time. Maybe that's what I should try next week. 

@brookey79 I'm glad the massage helped your back some. I hope your new class is great!

@apsalatroll Welcome!  Feeling energized is a great reason to stick to a workout routine. I confess I've always wanted to do my workouts first thing in the AM, but then I snooze right through them. 

@gradschoolmom1234 The dog is a life saver for getting me to exercise. But since I have to exercise him, I'm always reluctant to do any workouts that he can't join in. When it's really bad, I just throw the ball for him in the park behind our house. And if it's really really bad, I do that while sitting down. Eeps! 

@nbateman A walking break at lunch sounds awesome. And the gym at work is a huge perk!

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• Hi!! I think I've been pretty good about working out. I've kept up my workouts throughout my pregnancy so far - workout about 4 times a week - 30 to 40 min cardio and 30 to 40 min weight lifting. It makes me feel great and gives me energy.

I have switched from running to elliptical out of fear that I am going to be on myself due to a weak pelvic floor. I've also had to modify/eliminate/add exercises due to my growing belly. Reduced the amount of weight for squats and dead lifts, have had to cut out split lunges completely (I felt like I was squeezing my uterus!) and added some machines to supplement those movements.

I've also invested in some new workout tops - my old ones were turning into crop tops. No one needs to see that!

I hope to workout in some capacity until I give birth. I cannot wait for a good long run and/or HIIT workout though!

DS1: 12/17/2014
    DS2: born sleeping at 26 weeks on 8/8/2016 due to chromosomal deletion
    Pregnant with baby 3 -  EDD 9/14/2017

• Hi ladies!

This week was decent. Monday and Tuesday were my off days since I had a small migraine. Otherwise, I hiked 8 miles and have been getting in some additional strength and stretching exercises where I can. Every time I have to pick something up off the floor I do a squat instead of bending over .. its much more comfortable and Im toning my muscles at the same time lol.

QOTW: 5 years ago I lost ~50 lbs, since then my weight has fluctuated within ~15-20 lbs of my ideal weight. Prior to TTC I was in a good place and my weight had been very consistent. For me it was all about giving up my All or Nothing mentality. If  I miss a workout these days I dont really even think about it or guilt trip myself, I work out as soon as I can. Also if I'm not up for 45 minutes of circuit training then I'll do what some of you ladies do and just get a walk in or something else that sounds appealing and will keep me from being stagnant. I also consider my dogs to be life savers, they are high energy and need dedicated workout/play time every day so that always gets me off my butt rain or shine. I focus on how my workouts make me feel afterward and focusing on that makes me feel more encouraged then thinking about the work I'll have to put in during the workout :)

And ofcourse groups like this. If I have to check in somewhere about what I did then I'm more likely to stay on the wagon.

• @blessdtxs avoiding the accidental pee is a big motivator for me too! I have a reminder on my phone for kegels twice a day :)

@kc295905 glad you could get back to the pool this week!

@sysakbaby I so with you on ditching the "all or nothing" mentality. I'm a big believer in giving yourself credit for small steps in the direction you want to get headed, and for not beating yourself up when you miss a step. 

• Another good week here. I decided since Mondays are kinda crazy with errands and cleaning that I would start working out Tues-Saturday. I've gotten in all my work out this week and am back to speed walking with no pain (had to slow it way down the last 2 weeks) 
    Clean eating has been a little hard this week, I really wanted a hamburger this week and chicken fettuccine, but I am hoping going to hop back on the fully clean eating wagon starting tomorrow :D

As for the QOTW:
     I kinda don't allow myself to completely fall off, I will take a day or so off if not feeling well, but get right back to it so I don't gain 10 in one week :D
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @kimberlyc1984 the "clean eating" thing always confuses me. Are hamburgers and chicken fettuccine supposed to be dirty? The chicken fettuccine might even have been making you skinnier

Lol, yes, they are dirty. Clean eating (to me, because there are a few different views) is anything that is unprocessed. So I try to do a lot of chicken, pork, turkey and millions of vegetables and fruits. 
  • Five days of lane swims this week!! Woot woot! I felt good one day especially because I got into the middle lane with a man and he gave me a look like - hey pregnant lady, shouldn't you be in the slow lane? Anyway I was faster than him and he had to keep letting me go ahead! I thought that was pretty amusing.

I only seem to feel fit in the pool, alas. At all other times I am walking more slowly and I huff and puff going up stairs. So that's lousy.

I guilt myself into staying on the wagon. I remind myself of our tight budget and of the cost of my membership. That is usually motivating enough!!! It helps that I really enjoy swimming.
  • Mousy234 said:
    Five days of lane swims this week!! Woot woot! I felt good one day especially because I got into the middle lane with a man and he gave me a look like - hey pregnant lady, shouldn't you be in the slow lane? Anyway I was faster than him and he had to keep letting me go ahead! I thought that was pretty amusing. I only seem to feel fit in the pool, alas. At all other times I am walking more slowly and I huff and puff going up stairs. So that's lousy. I guilt myself into staying on the wagon. I remind myself of our tight budget and of the cost of my membership. That is usually motivating enough!!! It helps that I really enjoy swimming.
    @Mousy234

I'm so jealous! I wish to goodness I was a good swimmer!! I really, really want to do an triathlon but I can't because I can't even swim 50m without feeling like death is knocking at my door. 
  • Way to go everyone!  Impressed that everyone is getting in all their workouts with the sun out and shining.
    I also feel like I haven't been eating too badly, but gained 6 lbs in 4 weeks and then another 3 lbs in the last 2 weeks.  Hopefully this is a time to gain weight and then it will scale off a bit.  
    BFP #1 - 03/13 Ectopic @ 5 weeks
    BFP#2 - 09/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #3 - 12/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #4 - 04/14   EDD - 9/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @blessdtxas I am the opposite when it comes to deadlifts and split leg lunges.  I had to switch to one-legged deadlifts to give my belly more room as I bend over. I can still do the lunges but my ROM is a little smaller because of a weird ligament pain in my groin. 
  • I have been taking my dog for walks around my complex a little more regular. Still not on a daily schedule. I had my post op appointment yesterday so all is well. The weather here has been kind of spotty but I have a treadmill I think I will start tomorrow if it is too humid outside. I think I might look into some pregnancy yoga videos. 

When you fall off the fitness wagon, how do you motivate yourself to get back on? Or, how do you sneak fitness into your schedule? 

I usually just think about the positive things that come out of exercise, less stress, happier, feel better, sleep better. It helps to look back at my accomplishments and just moved forward. Also, changing up my schedule might work. If I can't workout in the evening, see if morning works. 

• majoraimersmajoraimers member
    edited August 2014
    Solid workout week here. I rarely fall off the workout wagon, it is my sanity, but just going for a long walk and eating clean gets me feeling good and back to the gym. If I'm pressed for time or the gym is not happening I will set up my bike trainer and spin while I watch a movie with my boys.
  • I don't normally check in here, but since I'm trying to get in more exercise, why not!

So how did your week go? Any fitness successes? Any struggles you're running into? 
    I really let my workouts trail off after about 8-10 weeks pregnant. I was too exhausted and I'm not one who loves working out to begin with. I picked up again this week but really had no idea where I would be so decided to start with the treadmill set at a moderate pace and including hills. My first day I was really impressed with where I was in regards to stamina. I went every morning this week. This morning was a little disappointing because I had to cut my hour down to about 25 minutes. The baby seemed to be positioned strangely and it caused very sharp pain on one side that wasn't alleviated by slowing or lowing my incline.

I go on a small vacation next week, but hopefully I'll still be able to get some walking in with my mom.

QOTW: When you fall off the fitness wagon, how do you motivate yourself to get back on? Or, how do you sneak fitness into your schedule? 
    Well, I don't know what gets me back on the wagon. This time, I'm pretty sure it was just being overly stressed/frustrated with my BIL who is staying with us. I needed an excuse to get out of the house since I work from home and he is always around. I wish I was better about motivating myself when I falter. I tend to work out in the morning. Since I work at home, I find that if I don't do it first thing, I get too trapped up the rest of the day and never make it a priority. Then I get off the wagon and...well you can see where that goes.

Hopefully I'll be able to stay on track and check in with you ladies to keep me on track.
    Married 11/9/13
    TTC since Jan 2014
    BFP 4/4/14, EDD 12/06/14
    image BabyFruit Ticker

• @ninee88 Welcome! I'm impressed that you got on the treadmill every day this week. Awesome :) 

@path75 glad you had a good post op appointment. If you find any great yoga videos, let me know? My sister loved the Crunch Yoga Mama DVD, but I thought it was a bit slow. I know someone else really likes the Gaiam video....

@linden25 hope you have a great time at the wedding. Are you still doing a more moderate workout routine? 

@mousy234 hooray for swimming victories! that's awesome :)

• I'm late to the party! So I started classes (both teaching and taking) as well as a new job this week. Needless to say, my fitness schedule is suffering from it! 
    Saturday - spin class & pregnancy yoga
    Monday - weights & pregnancy yoga
    Wednesday - spin & Bradley method pregnancy exercises

Tuesday I felt like I worked out because I walked all over for campus, and taught and took classes for eight straight hours. 

I also feel like I'm getting slowed down due to the heat. In two instances this week, I was standing and talking to patients outside, and I almost passed out. I had to sit down and wait for it to pass, but it did not feel pleasant. Has anyone else had issues with lightheadedness?
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • @linziloo09 I'm impressed how much you still fit in despite starting classes and teaching classes this week. Awesome! I have definitely had some lightheadedness from hot days. It's a bit scary, actually, but very common. I'm also finding I get a bit out of breath during class - lectures have to be a bit shorter than usual, I suppose!

• I'm waaaay late today, busy week! Like several of you, I teach and we started back with students on Monday, so it's been a long week. I have actually used this as a reason to work out...getting into the habit of going to the gym right after work, although I'm finding a balance between working out and getting rest. I've found that when I don't work out, I just feel exhausted when I get home. Working out makes me much more useful in the evenings! I went to the gym Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, with plans to make it one day this weekend as well. Wednesday and today I came home and took a nap instead.

@LinziLoo09‌ I've always had trouble with getting lightheaded and dizzy, due to being anemic. I controlled it by taking prenatal a which are high in iron. Since getting pregnant, I added an additional iron supplement which has helped a ton. Idk if yours is due to the same thing, but it could be worth a shot!

@Mousy234‌ I'm also jealous...I so wish I could swim better!

QOTW: I fall off the wagon often, I always have worked out in cycles. I just dropped the all or nothing mentality and tell myself that anything is better than nothing. I'm terrible at sneaking in fitness though. I envy those people who think to do exercises in the living room. Although I agree that my dog is a lifesaver...when I don't feel like anything I still walk her.
  • @drmh22 - Yea I'm taking a prenatal and extra iron on top of other supplements, and all of my levels have checked out at my MW appointments. The weird thing is that I seem to be fine if I'm walking or hiking, but standing for long stretches in the heat is making me almost pass out. I try not to lock my legs because I heard that could lead to it. I also live in GA, so we've had some 90 and 100 degree days lately lol...it could be totally not pregnancy related at those temps.
    December '16 BMB

Baby #1                                                            

~BFP 03/22/14 EDD 12/05/14~                       
    ~Baby Z born 11/28/14~

Baby #2
    ~04/19/16 EDD 12/26/16~
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSaveSaveSave
  • Even walking the dog was a struggle this week. Head & chest cold are not going away even with medication. Now I am back out of town for a wedding.

Test
  • Mousy234Mousy234 member
    edited August 2014
    Oh I didn't mean to sound like I was saying I am a wonderful swimmer!! I do approximately one lane per minute, which is quite slow. I never learned to front crawl properly so all I can do is breaststroke and back crawl!! I am no prospective athlete!

Usually I'm in the slow lane. On that particular day it was full of lane-joggers, so I graduated to the medium lane.

Nothing to be jealous of!!!
  • Mousy234 said:

Oh I didn't mean to sound like I was saying I am a wonderful swimmer!! I do approximately one lane per minute, which is quite slow. I never learned to front crawl properly so all I can do is breaststroke and back crawl!! I am no prospective athlete!

Usually I'm in the slow lane. On that particular day it was full of lane-joggers, so I graduated to the medium lane.

Nothing to be jealous of!!!

For me, the fact that you can swim for more than one minute without dying is something to be jealous of in my case.
  • Even walking the dog was a struggle this week. Head & chest cold are not going away even with medication. Now I am back out of town for a wedding.

Oh no, that sounds so miserable. And you have to travel while sick? Blech. I hope you start to feel better soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"