Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Clenched/Closed Fists

My son is just a few days away from being 15 months old. We have been noticing for a few months now that his hands stay clenched or closed for alot of the time. He can eat/pick up food great and play with toys and does so with both hands. Can color fine with markers, crayons and chalk. Can hold a spoon as well. He sleeps with them open and closed. The issue is when he is not using the hands for any sort of task they stay closed or in a claw like position. We had pictures done last week and in almost all the pictures his hands are closed/claw.  I am unsure what to think. We have an appt on Tuesday to discuss with his Ped. Just was wondering if anyone else has a child that does this or what to expect them to say. A little worried as I see most kids out grow this at like 4 months old. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Clenched/Closed Fists

• Is this a new behavior or something he's been doing since birth?

• It is something he has always done. 

• Loading the player...
  • I hate to put this out there is a girl on our BMB that clenches her fist and foot on one side. After an MRI, it showed she had a stroke in utero. But where your son clenches both fists it could be something totally different.

I hope it is nothing major or something that physical therapy can fix. FX for good results and keep is updated!

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Hmmm my DD does this with her feet - and one foot more than the other, she always seems to have her toes curled.  She can walk and stand just fine, even stands on her tip toes often, but when she's sitting, her toes are often curled under.  I never really thought anything of it, she's been doing it since birth as well - I guess it's worth bringing up to the pedi.  Her hands used to be clenched as well but I don't notice that as much anymore, just her feet now.
  • Just an update. Dr. wasn't concerned. Said that because he uses the hands for tasks and they aren't tightly closed to the point of having to pry them open that is good. Said that this is just his relaxed/comfortable hand state. Hubby still wanted a referral (as did I) so Dr. gave one for us to go to an Occupational Therapist even though Dr. does not think it is completely necessary. We will go just for a 2nd opinion and see what they say - to us it doesn't hurt to get checked out further. 

MrsG071809 - Dr. wasn't concerned as he points his toes sometimes when he is sitting and playing. He would be concerned if he was walking with them curled which he isn't. 

• good to hear!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"