Breastfeeding
Options

Prepairing to Breastfeed

At the moment I am 25 weeks with twins. Ive had some complications so we already have a c-section date set (Nov 13th. 37 weeks). I really want to breastfeed as much as possible. I understand that I will possibly also have to use formula for weight gain and what not but I would still like to try breastfeeding or pumping as much and I can. Does anyone have any recommendations for preparing to breastfeed early? I get how your body knows its time once they are born but I didnt know if there was anything anyone tryed that seemed to help before hand.

Re: Prepairing to Breastfeed

• Options
    @SweetC80 gave you awesome advice! If you really want to BF, focus on that first and don't think about supplementing unless you have to. I did want to mention that I think talking to an LC is a great idea as is the FB group. I have heard that after a c-section it may occasionally be a little bit more difficult / require some extra effort to establish milk supply. So perhaps devising a coping plan before you get there is worthwhile or at least talking to mamas with that kind of experience. GL!
    imageimage

• Options
    I have 3 month old twins born via scheduled Csection - they've never had anything but breast milk (and the only pumping I do is for when I'm at work).
    -Buy/ read the la leche league books- there's the regular one Womanly art of breast feeding, and a multiples one I think it's called mothering multiples.
    -Don't schedule your Csection for a Friday- you want to time it so the lactation consultants are able to see you every day while you're in the hospital (at my hospital they don't work weekends).
    -make sure you have the right support when you go home. Breast feeding twins means almost continuous breast feeding. Your partner (or someone else) will need to do just about everything else.
    -buy a package of medela gel pads to have on hand. Twins are often early, 2 little mouths learning to latch on can hurt- especially in the first 2 weeks- the gel pads work way better than lanolin to soothe discomfort.
    -as pp noted focus on breast feeding - don't think about supplementing and unless they're premature/NICU, don't pump for the first month. Nurse them constantly- it's demanding in the beginning but SO much easier down the road.
    Good luck and congratulations!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Since you are having a C-section, it will be particularly important to express to your doctor and nurses that you want the twins to have skin to skin contact with you as soon as possible (assuming they are healthy and stable).  It's really important for them to get the opportunity to latch within the first hour after delivery.  

My son was delivered vaginally at 37 w 6 d, I had him on my chest skin to skin immediately after delivery and he latched within minutes.  He has always nursed like a champ.  

Best wishes to you and good for you to plan ahead!
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for all the awesome advice!! Im compiling everything and stocking up on books. I like hording knowledge. =)
  • Options
    I don't have twins but i made a lot of mistakes with my first!! Firat of all I was scared and unsecure so when they told me to give formula to my premiee i did and that was a mistake! Your milk doesn't come in for a few days and your baby is perfextly fine with colostrum. Second i didn't really know the different nursing position but that helps a lot actually both for the soreness and for plugged ducts. Also and moat important get all the help you can!! Even if for a short walk around the block you NEED sometime ALONE!!! With my second i got the help of a LC right away who ahowed me the different positions and the correct latch plus she suggested the boppy pillow and to prevent the infections ( 2 mastitis) that i got with my first she suggested Silverette silver cups. It worked great and finally was a beautiful experience!
  • Options
    I don't really have advice just want to say goodluck! My cousin had her twins 3 months ago and they were around 5 pounds each. One was in nicu and the other perfectly fine. She pumped from day one while one was in the nicu and the other she had to use nipple shields to feed. She is still going strong at 3 months breast feeding. She only supplemented the first month by adding one formula bottle since one was having trouble gaining. Since then she was able to stop formula and has made enough milk for both girls. She has also been able to ditch the one's nipple shields as well. It was tough in the beginning for her since your nipples don't get a break due to always feeding a baby. She didn't tandem feel like some suggest. Instead she just fed them on the same schedule because that is what worked for her. So it can definitely be done! I swear she is making a ton more milk then I am with one kid :) Just remember it's tough and stressful breastfeeding especially with two but you can do it!

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"