December 2014 Moms
Options

NBR: Teachers

What grade do you teach, and do you like it? Do you teach at a private or public school? Also, what state do you live in, if you don't mind sharing. My original plan in terms of school was to hopefully end up teaching at the college level. While I know a number of adjunct professors with MA and MS degrees, they all agree the pay is shit, and there's no tenure. So, basically, few options unless one goes the 3-5 year PhD route. That just sounds awesome. I wouldn't mind teaching community college, but there are so few positions already, and there are no benefits for adjunct professors. :sigh:

I *can* see teaching at the junior high or high school level, but my field of study isn't taught in most schools. Hmph.

G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

Re: NBR: Teachers

• Options
    I teach jr/sr high school French online. I live in NYS, but my job is in Florida. 

I have taught both in both public and private schools but this summer switched to a work at home online teaching job. It also allows me to teach just French (as opposed to teaching French and Spanish). 

I love what I'm doing now, but I was one of those angry, frustrated teachers prior to this switch. NYS is also pulling a lot of shit with its teachers and many are angry and frustrated. 

I was trying to be an adjunct professor at a community college here, but, at the time, my ultimate goal was to become FT at the community college. I gave up on that since finding my new job (I actually started it PT in Feb 2013). This was also b/c I wanted out of teaching THAT badly. I would LOOOVE to get my PhD. I wish I had time time and money to do it.

Nathaniel Richard born 12/20/14
    Dating 7/2/2004 * Married 8/16/2008
  • Options
    I teach middle school math in TX. I love my job, but there have been a few years where I question why I do it. We just moved so I guess we will see how this year pans out at the new district.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @frenchy816 - that's my worry, issues with the state, and I know each state has its own issues. Going for a PhD, while it would be awesome, is just unlikely and unrealistic. Between the cost, time and juggling four kids. Yikes. I'd never complete it.

• Options
    @momtoE25 - the moments where you question why you do it, is it the students or politics within the school/district?

• Options
    @aeonlux‌ it's a little of both sometimes. I think more so the politics because I know that kids are kids and they aren't always going to be angels. I've realized that although the pay isn't the greatest I enjoy the job more than I think I would anything else.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for the feedback, ladies!

@gradschoolmom1234 - my field definitely falls in the humanities -- philosophy and comparative religion with some focus on psychology. A self-designed program. One of those "useless" majors. Haha. I was recently talking with a friend that is a sociology instructor applying for PhD programs, and she basically addressed the issues you pointed out. 

• Options
    JCM285JCM285 member
    edited August 2014
    I teach eighth grade English at a public school in Northern NJ and I love my job!! The kids and the people I work with are great! I used to teach high school freshmen but I opted to switch to middle school when I had an opportunity to and havent looked back since. This age group just energizes me and makes everyday so fun. My district pays for me to go to grad classes and I just finished my MA +15 which they recognize as a pay increase. Next, I'm planning on getting my supervisor certificate which will only require me to take four more classes and I will get paid for the MA +30 when I'm done too.  Can't beat that deal! People who say you don't get anywhere in teaching don't know of all the benefits teachers have. Its one of the few fields where they will support you furthering your education and there are so many options for advancing your career. If you want to teach college, go for it, but don't rule out middle and high school because they are both equally fulfilling levels to teach at IMO :-)
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Options
    I teach grade 1 at a private school in Canada.    Absolutely love my job :).  I get to do silly things everyday and have lots of fun.  It is exhausting though and I am usually falling asleep before 10pm (and that was pre-pregnancy).  I've also gone back to school and got my diploma in teacher-librarianship, so I may one day switch to being in the library. 
    BFP #1 - 03/13 Ectopic @ 5 weeks
    BFP#2 - 09/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #3 - 12/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #4 - 04/14   EDD - 9/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I teach bilingual 3rd at a public school in Wisconsin. All of my students are native Spanish speakers. My school is over 95% free and reduced lunch, so sometimes I am "mom" or "counselor" instead of teacher and I've heard some rough stuff. I love my school and my students though and wouldn't think of leaving. This is year 3 for me.

I am also getting my master's in reading. Currently I'm certified in language arts in grades 1-8, Spanish k-12, bilingual ed k-12, and ESL k-12. By next year I'll also have my reading license and a master's. I eventually want to get my PhD and teach teachers.
    Baby Z: 5/21/12

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

**December 2014 September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall - Fall Leaves and Apple Cider**
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I teacher Pre-School in a public school setting in south NJ. While I'm right in my home town about 4 blocks from school if I were just entering college I would not go for education. I love my job and the kids but the changes Christie has made here in NJ are sickening. My goal was to teach a college class or two a semester at a community college but I've put that on hold with the baby on the way. I currently have my masters and a PhD just doesn't pay back in my school district, it's actually not even on the pay scale the highest is Masters +60.
  • Options
    @LSauer21‌, agreed Christie is such a terrible influence on NJ in so many ways, most especially the teachers! I genuinely feel bad for teachers who are new in NJ. I started teaching when he was running as Governor, but I feel like its just getting worse every year. Get him out already! Rant over.
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited August 2014
    Thank you for the feedback, ladies!

@gradschoolmom1234 - my field definitely falls in the humanities -- philosophy and comparative religion with some focus on psychology. A self-designed program. One of those "useless" majors. Haha. I was recently talking with a friend that is a sociology instructor applying for PhD programs, and she basically addressed the issues you pointed out. 

Your field of study sounds interesting, and I would NEVER describe the humanities as useless!!! I went to a liberal arts undergrad and it was absolutely a fantastic experience. I'm in the social sciences, myself (govt). Remember, you don't have to get a PhD in the same field that you previously studied either. And I really do love college students - they're mature enough to be responsible for the work they're assigned, and they often have great insights into topics that make me reconsider they way I've thought about things before.
    I agree. I'm a big fan of the liberal arts and social sciences. I've always gotten the "what are you going to do with THAT major!?" Most of my family go the military or govt. route (law enforcement, court system) or th encourage IT or STEM. I had a discussion with my dad a few months ago and he expressed some pretty backward ideas about education and what he thinks are useless majors and careers. But most of his ideas are like that. :sigh: When I mentioned possibly going the clinical mental health counseling route he had that disapproving look on his face. It's basically between that field or teaching.

• Options
    I teach high school Spanish at a private school, and it's the best job ever. DH is an instructor at an Ivy League university, has a PhD, and is paid well. However, there is no tenure and I know that the pay and benefits for instructors at most universities is shit. Community colleges are a good option, but you will likely only get part-time work.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I teach kindergarten in NC. Love my job!
  • Options
    I teach history and English blocks to 8th grade at a public school in wa state. I love it! I have a fabulous admin team at my school and an awesome teaching partner. This will be my third year and I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    As teachers, do you usually have the option of choosing which grade to teach, or is it assigned?

• Options
    I teach grade 9 English in CT. It was assigned to me but I think grade9 is the perfect grade to teach. I love my job. That being said, I'm not ready to return to it in 49 hours!
    TEACHER*ANIMAL LOVER*BOOK ENTHUSIAST*TRAVEL DREAMER
    married since July 2009, TTC since May 2013, BFP April 5, 2014! 
    IT'S A BOY!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."
    image   gifs leonardo dicaprio romeo + juliet
    Summer Dog/Winter Dog    D14 AUG. SIGGY CHALLENGE: TEEN CRUSH- LEO

• Options
    @katehgee

Thank you! What you said here " I do miss teaching and would love to teach a college class, but for me it just makes more sense to keep my "day job" and teach a class here and there for my own personal growth, not as a way to make a living."

Completely makes sense, and definitely gives me something to look into.

• Options
    I just wanted to share this article, even though it is more specific toward history professors.  I found it interesting and it has some entertaining pictures in it too.  I agree with many of the points made in there, and it also points out other resources you can look at for more information:  https://northwesthistory.blogspot.com/2011/11/open-letter-to-my-students-no-you.html

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"