Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Post partum anxiety- Lexapro??

I just had my little girl 5 weeks ago. I had the "baby blues" and that finally got better. I still have a lot of anxiety though. I don't have major panic attacks or feeling like I can't go somewhere but I still have a lot of anxiety. I will get a knot in my stomach out of nowhere and everytime she cries or even makes a noise my heart races and my stomach gets knotted up. i have tried exercises, meditation, calming tea, and even getting out alone and with my husband. Even after having a day or a night out that is relaxing, the second I get home and around the baby I tense up. I feel like I am not enjoying her as much as I should. I hate being home alone with her all day and am stressed out when shes awake. I do love her and would do anything for her but I still don't feel as bonded to her as her mom. I feel like shes more of a chore right now. I feel horrible for even saying that. I told my doctor and she put me on lexapro. I have never taken any medication other than OTC stuff and I don't like the idea of something changing my mood and I am scared of all the side effects. I also do not like that you can't drink alcohol. I don't NEED it and I only do it after I have pumped milk for her, but I enjoy drinking socially and to not drink because I am on medication bums me out. Also I realy think I will feel better once shes a little older, and I am out of the house at work with other adults, and if she and I are sleeping better. SHould I wait it out a couple more weeks or take the meds? I just don't want to medicate myself if I should just stick it out longer. I am really scared I will become dependant on it and I do NOT want to be on it long term. I hate feeling this way but also hate the idea of taking meds. Anyone else have experience with lexapro and PPA?

Re: Post partum anxiety- Lexapro??

• Options
    Thank you
  • Options
    I'm a pharmacist and a new mom myself. Lexapro is a good choice for anxiety and PPD. Alcohol can intensify drowsiness, but I have never told my patients not to drink- just be cautious until you know the effects. Many people don't have added drowsiness at all, but everyone is different. Remember, your hormones are completely changed during and after pregnancy. Breast feeding also changes hormones. There is absolutely nothing wrong if you have to take Lexapro or any other medication. Just think- it may be the extra boost you need to enjoy baby vs stressing about baby. I delivered 7 weeks ago and have a lot of anxiety/ worry about every possible thing that can go wrong. My OB believes I have PPD and suggested medication (Lexapro) as well about 10 days ago. I wanted to wait it out to see if I feel better, and I don't. I am going back to my MD this week to reevaluate, and I have no problem adding it because I want to feel excited, not always anxious. Hope it helps, and you're not alone! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you that helps a lot!
  • Options
    Hi- thanks for this post - I have a 1 month old - had baby blues after a full week of euphoria - I have a history of anxiety when I am under a lot of stress I have always coped with it through therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy - my therapist suggested medication the other day and it totally freaked me out - she said I don't have PPD - but I do have anxiety and being isolated during maternity leave isn't helping- I try to get out each day and surround myself with people - it helps to get into conversations with others - I am starting accupuncture today - good luck I hope we all feel better soon :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"