November 2014 Moms

Turning a breech baby

NLJ82NLJ82 member
edited August 2014 in November 2014 Moms

I know I've mentioned LO being breech thus far and I know he has plenty of time to move but my OB encouraged me to go ahead and start doing exercises to help him move. She gave me a hand out and sent me home.....and this hand out sucks!
I've called the OB office but she's only in twice a week and no one seemed to be able to help me :|

Tonight I'm going to try this technique:

Put a heating pad on the bottom of your stomach and an ice pack on the top to encourage LO to move down towards the heat.....but I'm wondering for how long.

I also am supposed to be laying my face on the ground...all fours...butt in the air....(yea....sexy...) BUT FOR HOW LONG?!  Anyone tried these exercises?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Turning a breech baby

• PandaCon said:
    Check out spinningbabies.com. They have a ton of stuff for turning breach babies and even just getting babies in the right position to give birth!

I was going to say exactly this. I have no personal experience since none of my babies have been breech, but I've heard a lot about this site.
  • Loading the player...
  • https://spinningbabies.com/techniques/the-inversion

This is the one that many of my firends have use to turn breech babies.  I just had a friend who turned the baby two weeks ago and avoided a c-section. 

This position allows room for baby to move by stretching some ligaments. Also if baby is already ready to go, this will help keep them that way!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic   

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Econosaurus  I must be truly moronic lol. I went to the website mentioned by PP and was completely lost. It gave me a list of exercises I could do but I did not know what any of them meant or how to do them SO...the google search began. I need dumbed down terms I guess. I'll definitely try this though. Thanks!

• PandaCon said:
    https://spinningbabies.com/techniques/the-inversion

This is the one that many of my firends have use to turn breech babies.  I just had a friend who turned the baby two weeks ago and avoided a c-section. 

This position allows room for baby to move by stretching some ligaments. Also if baby is already ready to go, this will help keep them that way!

AWESOME thanks!

• NLJ82 said:
    Econosaurus  I must be truly moronic lol. I went to the website mentioned by PP and was completely lost. It gave me a list of exercises I could do but I did not know what any of them meant or how to do them SO...the google search began. I need dumbed down terms I guess. I'll definitely try this though. Thanks!
    The website is really confusing!  It's very very focused on preparing your body, daily exercises etc. I think they may even have a book...hard to tell. 

I just know that doing an inversion 3X a day helped my friends LO to turn! 

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Is this even something we should be worrying about yet ?

If they do turn the right way,  isn't there a possibility of them turning back around again ?

I haven't been told yet which way my baby is facing,  and I have no clue.   

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

• mander82 said:

Is this even something we should be worrying about yet ?

If they do turn the right way,  isn't there a possibility of them turning back around again ?

I haven't been told yet which way my baby is facing,  and I have no clue.   

From my understanding (and I could be totally wrong) after 28-30 weeks if baby is head down, they are more likely to stay head down. DS was head down at every appointment from 32 weeks+. 

I also think it gets harder to for them to turn as they get less room (again could be wrong). Obviously it happens though. 

The stuff in spinning babies is more to give your body and baby a better chance and to make labor easier. I will admit that I don't actually follow spinning babies though. Love the idea but who has the time?

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • PandaCon said:
    Check out spinningbabies.com. They have a ton of stuff for turning breach babies and even just getting babies in the right position to give birth!

My birthing class instructor also recommended this site!
    CafeMom Tickers

N14 January Siggy Challenge - What Sucks About Work

• Super dumb question...Does your doctor just feel your stomach to know which way the baby is facing or do they have to use an ultrasound?

Married:  08.17.2013
    Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
    Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
    Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

• Super dumb question...Does your doctor just feel your stomach to know which way the baby is facing or do they have to use an ultrasound?
    Most doctors can do it by feeling I would guess. Mine does, so can my chiro.  

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • In one of the pg books I bought it shows a couple of positions to try.

As above, doggy style with your ass in the air. I believe it was ok to put pillows/support under your belly.

Also, laying on your back, angled with your feet/legs elevated...like laying on the floor with your feet resting on the couch. Pillows under you to help with the back pressure.

I don't remember how often off top, one was ridiculous, like 3x an hour for 10 min each.

When I get home I'll post the pic of the page on here.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• PandaCon said:

Super dumb question...Does your doctor just feel your stomach to know which way the baby is facing or do they have to use an ultrasound?

Most doctors can do it by feeling I would guess. Mine does, so can my chiro.  
    This is so crazy! I wish I could tell by feeling!

My doctor took a guess that my son was breech last appointment based on touch and the doppler (where his heart was at the time). I assume if baby isn't breech that we would feel kicks higher up? I still get very low kicks.
  • I was just thinking that I wish I could tell too! My doctor just felt my belly today for like a minute (if even that) and was like "Alright and his head is down, great!"
    I wanted to say "teach me your secret!" Haha
  • soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited August 2014
    My youngest was frank breech at 28 weeks, and I wasn't at all worried. I didn't do the inversion and other exercises until 32ish weeks, which is when he turned. And then three weeks later he was oblique breech, and was back to vertex by 36 weeks. 
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• I don't think it's worth your time to be trying to turn your baby at this point (since you're in your 28th week). From what I understand, up until 34 weeks, or possibly even later, they can continue to turn around as often as they want.- If that's the case you'll be doing an awful lot of these spinning exercises to keep trying to turn him again- but at the same time any type of exercise is good for you and baby! 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Ok here's the pages in my book. It's an ok book, it really pushes home births, not my style, but it's informative.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• My friend's baby was breech and after multiple chiropractor visits, still breech. Finally she tried a "salt water float" place. It was recommended to her by a friend of hers who did it for back pain management well before she was ever even pregnant, but found it especially helped when pregnant. I'm not sure they're in every area, but it might be something to look into. Here's a place that does saltwater floats for example: https://floathouston.com My friend isn't sure if the salt water float is what flipped the baby, but she thinks it had something to do with it! Also my friend was on her hands and knees, not floating on her back, but the salt water helped support her weight, and she said it was relaxing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"