Working Moms

object permanence and hating daycare

My babe is 4 months. We just had a long four day weekend at the beach with plenty of quality time. On Tuesday, when I brought her back to daycare she was unhappy and crying the moment we stepped in the room. Now it's Thursday and she's still having the same issue-  not napping, super crabby and when I put her down in a bouncy chair at the Daycare during drop off she immediately started to cry. I would say this has something to do with 4 month development issues, however, when I get her home she's totally chipper and happy (and STTN!). WTH? Is object permanence starting now? Does she really know where she is at only 4 months? And how to I help this situation when she really doesn't understand my words (only my tone)?

When she started daycare at 3 months she was mostly indifferent to it because she didn't know where she was. Now, I feel like we're starting all over again!

Please give me some wisdom- I don't know what the heck is going on.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

Re: object permanence and hating daycare

• How does she take to the caregiver? Are you able to hand her off and let them decide where/when to put her down?
  • DS still reacts to a change in routine.  It is possible that the 4 day weekend threw her off a bit.  

Does she act happy when you pick her up?
  • Loading the player...
  • Also, I vaguely remember a growth spurt, grump, sleep thing around four months.  
  • She's whining and crabby with the caregiver but not crying necessarily. This morning when she was crying in the bouncy seat, I picked her up, held her for a couple of minutes and asked the caregiver to hold her. Then, I wrapped up bottles & diapers drop off and left as quickly as possible. She is happy to see me when I pick her up-- sometimes she cries if she sees me and I don't come to her right away (sorting out bottles, paperwork, etc). I agree that the 4 day weekend probably threw her off but it's been 3 days already... am I not giving her enough time to reacclimate?

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

TTCAL May 2018

• Was she happy prior to the vacation?  This unhappiness has been since returning this week?
  • I really think she was alright before this trip... I mean, it just seemed like "business as usual." Although, I have to say I've been watching for the 4 month wakeful period for a few weeks now.

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

TTCAL May 2018

• oh, well now that I think of it she had a fever a week ago Monday, so maybe it wasn't business as ususal.

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

TTCAL May 2018

• I'm just brainstorming reasons she might be upset during the day...

How does she eat?  Is she hungry when she gets home?  Does she finish all her bottles?  Could she start needing more ounces at each feeding?  

Is she gassy?

How is her naps at school?

Have you talked with the teachers to see if they notice anything off or if she is happy with them during the day?  

I couldn't remember when separation anxiety began.  Here is a good article. https://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/feelings/sep_anxiety.html

• Thanks- she is eating fine. She does drink all of her bottles, this week I started giving her another 1/4 of an oz to see if this is what she needs. I nurse her 3-4 times a day, she gets bottles twice a day and I feed her on demand over night. Her bottles are now 5.25 oz in the morning and 4.25 oz in the afternoon (and nurse her at daycare midday). I don't want to give her a large increase because I don't want to over feed her. In the last couple of weeks, she pretty much puts herself to sleep at 8PM and wakes at 5-6AM. She stinks a napping most recently at home and at DC- last weekend she gave ZERO cues to sleepiness during the day (no droopy/ rubbing eyes, no crabbiness) but at night when the clock struck 8pm it was clear it was bedtime. She is EBF.

She just saw the pedi last week Monday (when she had her fever) and the Dr. said she was gaining nicely and approved my bottle amounts.

DC tells me she's been fussy this week and is needing to be held more than usual. I think she's okay with them but they'll never tell me she's not happy with them.

Thanks- I will check out the link...

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

TTCAL May 2018

• Sometimes it seems like DC's first response to any issues with an infant is: maybe you should be giving more milk-- how about another oz? I just give her what I think is the correct amount-- through our experiences when my husband gives her a bottle.

I don't know about stimulation issues, since she seems pretty stimulated by the other babies in the room and I know they do tummy time with her. I can't be sure exactly how they stimulate her since I am not always there. :o(

I think they are waiting for her cues for napping. Ratio is 3 babies to 1 teacher but I've seen the DC in action and sometimes I think it's a lot to manage everyone's needs...

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

TTCAL May 2018

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"