February 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone here have/had BV?

I have been spotting since week 7 and I asked my doctor if it could be due to BV. Sure enough, she tested me and it was positive. I did a 5 day treatment of Metrogel and the spotting seems to be much better than it was but not gone completely.

Anyway...

If you have had this, what treatment were you given (oral or gel) and did it clear the infection up? Did your Dr. re test after treatment? Just wondering what I can expect.

Thanks!

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
Pregnancy%20ticker

Re: Anyone here have/had BV?

• Options
    I had it a long time ago, I just took antibiotics and it cleared right up. Hopefully everything works fast for you, I know it's not fun!

Pregnancy Ticker

January Siggy Challenge:

Being able to get out of bed on the first try

• Options
    I have had to use the gel twice this pregnancy... hoping it doesn't happen again.  I had no signs the first time just found through routine screening at my 8 weeks appointment.  at 13 weeks I had burning when I peed so thought maybe it was a UTI  but got tested and it was BV again.   It is common for it to come back...  My ob isn't too concerned.  As you may know it is due to an inbalance in PH ( good bacteria/bad bacteria).  No way to prevent it it just happens.  Going untreated can cause issues in pregnancy such as preterm labor but there are not a lot of case studies on it.   I used the metrogel for 5 days and it cleared up... now I am just staying aware of the signs in case it comes back!

***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ksgsmu said:
    I have had to use the gel twice this pregnancy... hoping it doesn't happen again.  I had no signs the first time just found through routine screening at my 8 weeks appointment.  at 13 weeks I had burning when I peed so thought maybe it was a UTI  but got tested and it was BV again.   It is common for it to come back...  My ob isn't too concerned.  As you may know it is due to an inbalance in PH ( good bacteria/bad bacteria).  No way to prevent it it just happens.  Going untreated can cause issues in pregnancy such as preterm labor but there are not a lot of case studies on it.   I used the metrogel for 5 days and it cleared up... now I am just staying aware of the signs in case it comes back!

Yes! I am worried that it will come back or that it isn't gone to begin with. I have heard mixed opinions on the gel (that it doesn't work as well as oral antibiotics).

And thanks everyone for the feedback :)

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    I had it with my first.  I tried the gel and it didn't clear it up so they put me and DH on antibiotics just to prevent us from keep transferring it to one another.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Does anyone know if they test for this in the urine sample we give?
  • Options
    RN2011 said:
    I had it with my first.  I tried the gel and it didn't clear it up so they put me and DH on antibiotics just to prevent us from keep transferring it to one another.
    Interesting! I didn't know you could pass it back and forth. Yikes!

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    Does anyone know if they test for this in the urine sample we give?
    I don't think so. I am pretty sure mine was a swab test. All of my routine urine tests were normal.

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    OMG, I had it once, before I was pregnant and it was the worst!!! TMI, but the smell was horrible and the DC was nasty. I was embarrassed to go to the Dr (and I'm a nurse, nothing grosses me out). I was on oral abx and it cleared up. I was told it's common and it's usually due to a change in the pH in your lady bits. Sorry you are going through this.
    imageimageimage
    As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen - Winnie the Pooh

Married 8/22/09
    Pregnancy 1- EDD 11/21/10 NMC @ 6 weeks
    Pregnancy 2 - Rainbow DS born 1/15/11
    Pregnancy 3 - EDD 5/2/14 NMC @ 6 weeks 9/4/13
    Pregnancy 4 - EDD 6/11/14 BO @ 9 weeks D&C 11/8/13
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    WOW!!! I'm pregnant!!! BFP 6/8/14 Rainbow on the way EDD 2/14/15
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I had it with my last pregnancy and went into premature labor at 20 weeks. My doctor didn't think to call me and treat me since its so "common".

• Options
    After you take the antibiotocs start taking a good probiotic. Read a bit about Ultimate Flora vaginal support. It should help!
  • Options
    My doctor said the probiotics don't work but I still bought some.... wear cotton underwear, only use gentle unscented soap on your lady bits.  You can pass it back and forth with your partner during sex.  so best to abstain while treating it. 

It is super common  but needs to be treated!
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    Why are the symptoms ???? Should u ask my OB about this???
  • Options
    That was meant to be should I ask my OB :)
  • Options
    I had the same stuff.. Gel didn't work. Had the oral pill.. Stopped the spotting as well.. Good luck..
  • Options
    CutieBug1 said:
    Why are the symptoms ???? Should u ask my OB about this???
    A lot of the time there are no symptoms. I was spotting and read about BV on one of the boards here or I wouldn't have thought to ask my doctor to test me for it. Here are the symptoms per Webmd:

Many women with bacterial vaginosis do not have any symptoms. Bacterial vaginosis does not typically cause itching. But it does cause:

• An excessive grayish white vaginal discharge, unlike normal vaginal discharge (1 out of 3 women who have bacterial vaginosis describe the discharge as yellow).1
    • A bothersome "fishy" odor, which is usually worse after sex (intercourse).

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    I told my OB about yellow discharge and he didn't seem worried... I don't see him again for 2 weeks. Maybe I should see my GP tomorrow and ask to get tested :(
  • Options
    CutieBug1 said:
    I told my OB about yellow discharge and he didn't seem worried... I don't see him again for 2 weeks. Maybe I should see my GP tomorrow and ask to get tested :(
    I wouldn't worry too much. It's not life threatening.

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    I haven't had BV but I'm just getting over a yeast infection. Dude, they are so freaking miserable. I only seem to get them while pg and they strike with a vengeance. The doc prescribed me some cream and it's all better now.

I hope your issue clears up quickly.
    Mommy to Trey (7/15/04), Lennon (2/22/08), Charlie (6/24/10), and Samuel (10/26/12) BabyFetus Ticker ExerciseMilestone image image image
  • Options
    BV is super common during pregnancy.  A lot of our patients wind up with it.  We usually Rx flagyl (taken orally) for it.  I thought flagyl was not OK for pregnancy, but apparently it is.
  • Options
    I had BV my whole last pregnancy! It's pretty gross and frustrating to get rid of. I Tried everything to get rid of it, even getting new cotton underwear! Nothing helped and it went away right after I gave birth. I was also sick my whole last pregnancy and I figured my body just wanted to concentrate on the baby even with the "help" antibiotics. I did find that wiping every so often with apple cider vinegar helped a bit though.
  • Options
    Hi i had this also and was prescribed zydoval gel to take once a night over 5 days, however the antibiotics in the gel are very strong and in most cases kill all bacteria good & bad, so after the gel i started experiencing (sorry little gross) cottage cheese looking discharge but no smell; i went to see the docs who advised me i had now got thrush as it had killed good bacteria too - so i had to take a Clotrimazole pessary one night - this cleared everything and now im all back to normal.

People are right in what they are saying if you clearly have a sensitive PH then sex can often bring on BV and because sperm is so strong it can also be your partners sperm knocking your PH! :)

Hope this helps nothing has returned for me i was quite worried about taking the prescriptions however i know the benefits of using it outweighed the potential risks by far!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"