August 2014 Moms

Bf problems

I am devastated. My son was born on 8/7 and was 8lbs 14 ounces (my pedi questions this though and thinks he might have been weighed before the vernix was cleaned off). He was 8lbs 4 oz when we left the hospital and had only gotten back to 8lbs 6oz since then. I don't understand. I'm feeding him every two hours and he's having more than enough wet and dirty diapers. He's just not gaining. Now the pedi wants to supplement. I don't blame him and he did give me time to allow him to gain weight. It just isn't happening. Had anyone had anything similar happen or any advice?

Re: Bf problems

• Hmmm...does he act hungry more often than every 2 hours? So far DS prefers to cluster feed for a long time straight, take a short break, then more cluster feeding.
    Other things to check would be if he has a tongue tie or if he doesn't tolerate something in your diet. Tongue tie might cause you a lot of soreness even with a good latch. You also might hear a lot of clicking noises when he nurses. Food allergy or intolerance you might see a ton of spit up, or mucous/dried blood in his diapers.

I hope you can get it figured out soon! You're doing a great job, don't beat yourself up about it. Keep us updated!
  • We had that problem with DD. I bf her and then pumped and gave her anything I got then. It took time but she got up back up there.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Neither of my babies gained enough after birth.
    I've had to supplement with both.
    I went to see a LC several times before making changes. See if fenugreek helps.

Meet with the pros. See what they have to say. Each situation is extrely different. The pedi office will say two different things. The LC was the best source.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • My LO failed to regain to her birth weight at her two week appointment. She also bfs constantly and has lots of wet/dirty diapers. Ped just instructed me to ensure she eats every 3 hours (we had been waking her at 4hours) and we're rechecking her weight on Monday. Ped said some babies just need three weeks, fingers crossed that's us!
  • shevaCC said:

Hmmm...does he act hungry more often than every 2 hours? So far DS prefers to cluster feed for a long time straight, take a short break, then more cluster feeding.
    Other things to check would be if he has a tongue tie or if he doesn't tolerate something in your diet. Tongue tie might cause you a lot of soreness even with a good latch. You also might hear a lot of clicking noises when he nurses. Food allergy or intolerance you might see a ton of spit up, or mucous/dried blood in his diapers.

I hope you can get it figured out soon! You're doing a great job, don't beat yourself up about it. Keep us updated!

He doesn't usually act hungry before the two hours but if he does I'll feed him. A LC came to my house yesterday and said she doesn't see a prominent tongue tie but he might have a slight posterior one. She said it doesn't seem to be affecting his latch though. I have soreness with the initial latch now but not during the whole feeding. I had pretty bad pain in the beginning but it's gotten better. He does seem to spit up after most feedings. I mentioned it to the doctor and he's thinking it could be reflux. I am going to try eliminating some things from my diet to see if it makes a difference. It's killing me to give him formula but I'm scared to hold off any longer since he's only gained 2 oz since the hospital. I'm trying not to beat myself up about it but it's hard. I feel like I failed or should've done something different. I bf my daughter for a year with no issues which makes this a little harder to accept. Why is there a problem now when I never had one before? Its also frustrating that I can't figure out the reason.
  • schnookee said:

It's killing me to give him formula but I'm scared to hold off any longer since he's only gained 2 oz since the hospital. I'm trying not to beat myself up about it but it's hard. I feel like I failed or should've done something different.

I know it might be hard, but v try not v to feel like it's "killing you" to feed your baby bf what he needs right now to grow. You haven't failed..it sounds like you're trying all you can. I know the feeling...we've already had to stop breastfeeding and I was (am) so sad about it, but I know it's what was needed and that giving my baby formula was exactly what he needed.

I hope an LC can help you but remember, if she can't, you're far from a failure. You're a mama who has done all she can for her baby.
  • I haven't read the whole thread (sorry) but are you letting him completely drain your breast before switching to another? He needs to drink a lot of the hindmilk for the fat/protein/calories. If he is drinking too much foremilk that may be the problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"