August 2014 Moms
Options

Positive Induction Stories Using Cytotec?

I'm 41 weeks tomorrow, and have a scheduled induction one week from today. Not at all excited about this as I really wanted to go med-free with minimal intervention, but shit happens, and here I am. My cervix is soft and anterior, but still completely closed. Doc wants to start with Cytotec vaginally, and I'm wondering if anyone has any positive, relatively easy birth stories resulting from this drug. Free hugs for life, if so. :) 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Positive Induction Stories Using Cytotec?

• Options
    It is worth noting that use of Cytotec to induce labor is an off label use, and the manufacturer itself released a letter in 2000 specifically noting that it should not be used to induce labor. You can check out Wikipedia for a summary and links.

I'm sure you could tell your doctor you are not comfortable with Cytotec use and request an alternative prostaglandin, like Cervadil, if that's how you feel. I'm sorry, I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, but if you didn't know about it already I wanted you to be informed.
  • Options
    It is worth noting that use of Cytotec to induce labor is an off label use, and the manufacturer itself released a letter in 2000 specifically noting that it should not be used to induce labor. You can check out Wikipedia for a summary and links. I'm sure you could tell your doctor you are not comfortable with Cytotec use and request an alternative prostaglandin, like Cervadil, if that's how you feel. I'm sorry, I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, but if you didn't know about it already I wanted you to be informed.
    You can't use Cervadil unless you're dilated at least a little, which I'm not.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    stoofewok said:

@Venus04 they used cervadil on me and I wasn't dilated at all. It didn't work though, so there's that. .

What did they do next?
  • Options
    abnelsen22abnelsen22 member
    edited August 2014
    They used cytotec on me. It dilated me to a 1 and got me 50% effaced and I had no progress before. Since that worked they were able to use the cook catheter on me which was very helpful.

I ended up with a c-section for other reasons. But the cytotec did it's job on me in 3 hours.
  • Options
    My midwives use a combination of some herbs and castor oil on overdue moms, or if water has broken and no contractions start by 24 hours. Maybe this could be an option for you? I have my appointment tomorrow.. I can ask for the specifics! I'm guessing it's blue cohosh and evening primrose. For the castor oil they spike some orange juice with it and have you take it like a shot.
    blighted ovum 5w3d 10/11
    Aidan Russell 8/7/12
    missed m/c 8w6d 11/1/13
    Shane Ryan 8/25/14
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"