School-Aged Children

s/o Tooth Fairy. Age most kids stop believing?

My twins are in 3rd and haven't questioned it too much yet.  I'm hoping we can make it through this year with Santa, but I know it will stop soon.  What age do kids stop believing typically?  How will or have you handled it?  I've read the poem or story that a mom wrote to her child about being Santa and the like.  Is there another way to go about it?
Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD

Re: s/o Tooth Fairy. Age most kids stop believing?

• It does help a lot!!  Thanks for all the info.  I'm sure we're at truly skeptical and maybe on the fast track to confessed non-believers depending on what's said in school this year.  I'm thankful we have some teachers on the board as the responses are very insightful.  :)

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, what a great breakdown!  Thanks for sharing.  I have little info to add to this as my kids are younger. 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Our kids have never believed in the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny.  Only fictional character they believe in is Santa and DS1 is questioning that. 

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • neverblushed explained it perfectly.  I have to say that when I taught 4th grade, 3/4 of my kids didnt believe anymore and 1/4 still did. 
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • neverblushed explained it perfectly.  I have to say that when I taught 4th grade, 3/4 of my kids didnt believe anymore and 1/4 still did. 
    Yep -- in 4th grade, my DD told me she and one other friend were the only ones in the class who still believed.  But her "belief" was not the same as it had been when she was 4.  Four-year-olds don't talk about whether or not they believe in Santa.  They just DO.  Unless, of course, they've heard from older siblings or friends that there's an option to believe or not.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"