August 2014 Moms
Options

**Wednesday Breastfeeding/Pumping Check In**

I'll start off the new thread.

Nothing formal...just how are things going?  Any problems/successes/questions/advice?

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

Re: **Wednesday Breastfeeding/Pumping Check In**

• Options

Baby hates my left side. I got him to take it for like 5 minutes this morning because the other side was empty and there was no choice. Please God let him get over his aversion to that side so I can stop pumping it 2-3 times per day. Anyone else have this problem?

We saw the LC on Monday, and every trick she showed me I have tried. Even she said he is just stubborn. I am keeping on trying them, its just so tiring.

August 2014 January Siggy Challenge

• Options
    Finally got her to latch and nurse! She's a pretty slow eater so it takes about an hour but at least she is latching. I'm still planning on pumping a couple times a day to keep a supply on hand but she isn't interested in bottles now that she's latched on.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tip for cracked, bleeding, etc. nipples: air them out ! Mine how been healing faster since I started being topless.

We're going to the LC at the pedis in a bit. She still has a shallow latch.

• Options
    Still exclusively pumping, I'm nervous to try the breast again. It was so stressful.

Trying to air out my poor nipples, I just want them to heal. It hurts to go braless and I leak everywhere.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Still exclusively pumping, I'm nervous to try the breast again. It was so stressful. Trying to air out my poor nipples, I just want them to heal. It hurts to go braless and I leak everywhere.
    I'm in the same boat.  Been EP for 3 weeks now and I'm too scared to try BFing again.  Although I'm so tired of pumping all of the time.

Question for ladies EP, how often do you pump? I'll be honest, I have been slacking lately...maybe every 4 hours or so and at night I usually only do it once.  My supply still seems to be ok for now but I'm wondering if it's ok for me to be pumping less or if I need to add in some more sessions throughout the day?

Me 28 DH 30

After 4+ years TTC

FET #2 = DS Madden Jeffery <3 July 29, 2014 <3
  • Options
    jlynn62511jlynn62511 member
    edited August 2014

Still exclusively pumping, I'm nervous to try the breast again. It was so stressful.

Trying to air out my poor nipples, I just want them to heal. It hurts to go braless and I leak everywhere.

I'm in the same boat.  Been EP for 3 weeks now and I'm too scared to try BFing again.  Although I'm so tired of pumping all of the time.

Question for ladies EP, how often do you pump? I'll be honest, I have been slacking lately...maybe every 4 hours or so and at night I usually only do it once.  My supply still seems to be ok for now but I'm wondering if it's ok for me to be pumping less or if I need to add in some more sessions throughout the day?

@HeatherHam10‌
    I pump every 4 hours also. I was pumping every 3 but with advice from an LC, she suggested I go every 4 and see how my supply reacts. I get anywhere from 8-10 ounces each time I pump. LO takes about 3.5 ounces each feeding so I have plenty stashed in the freezer already.

I have been thinking of cutting out my 4am pump session, I pump 12am, 4am, 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm. I'm nervous about it.

How do you feel when you skip a session at night? Do you pump more milk during the next pump session?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have had some supply issues. I have been pumping, but I can only pump 1 oz or less. I'm getting frustrated. I had to start supplementing formula because she lost 12% of her birth weight. She has gained it back (plus some). I have PCOS, and women with PCOS sometimes have supply issues. I just want to be able to feed my baby. I'm really frustrated. 

Is there anyone who is in the same situation? How about any tips or tricks for increasing supply? 
    Married June 2012
    DH: 31 Me: 30 dx PCOS 2001
    Surprise BFP 12/8/13 EDD 8/14/14
    Stroke: 3/15/14 dx expressive aphasia: had to relearn how to communicate
    Charlotte Joy Born 8/9/14

• Options
    Bfing is going well. It takes him a while which is annoying in the middle of the night but he has a great latch and is gaining weight well so I know it is working.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    MC03MC03 member
    We are doing pretty good. Still having pain on my left side but only during the initial latch. She nurses all the time but she's pretty quick. So far this experience is so much better than my start with DD1 and I am so grateful. Now if only she would sleep..

imageimage
  • Options

I'm exclusively pumping and I've been pumping every 3 hours. I talked to a lactation consultant today and she said I could try going 4 hrs at night if I wanted too. The only problem is my breasts seem to get so engorged if it's not right at the 3 hour mark. DS2 is wanting to eat every 2-3 hours. I'm still having nerves about going to back to work and pumping. I will only be able to pump at 8:00, 1:00, and then 5:00. I work 3 days a week. Will the amount of time in between pumping sessions start spacing out more as the baby gets a little older? Right now I feel like I can't go longer than 3 hours, which would be difficult with the times I will be able to pump once back at work.

I switched from 3 to 4 hours. I did it slowly, 3.5 hours then to 4. I leak at night especially if I feed or hold her when it gets close to the 4 hour mark. I was so glad to switch and get a little more sleep. I tracked my supply before the switch to make sure my supply didn't go down.

Once I go back to work, pumping will be tricky, I'm planning to pump right before I leave 5:45am, during my break 10am, and right before I leave work at 2:15pm. I'm going to try to wait until I get home but I'm worried it will be too much time. Then 6pm, 10pm and 2am. I'm hoping to drop the 2am if possible.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    LO nurses well most of the time. She can be a lazy nurser at times so it can be slow going. It was growth spurt/cluster feed day yesterday so I'm happy that's done!
    At times her latch really hurts my nipple (sharp localized pain at each suck), like it's being held wrong. But when she lets go occasionally it looks like she was holding it fine. No bruising, no bleeding. It'll be sore for a few hours after but the next time she nurses from it it's usually fine and won't hurt.
    I had a breast reduction nearly 10 years ago so I'm happy with my production this far. My mw is doing an extra house visit tomorrow to check her growth. If she's not gone up much we'll add pumping into our regime.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have had some supply issues. I have been pumping, but I can only pump 1 oz or less. I'm getting frustrated. I had to start supplementing formula because she lost 12% of her birth weight. She has gained it back (plus some). I have PCOS, and women with PCOS sometimes have supply issues. I just want to be able to feed my baby. I'm really frustrated. 

Is there anyone who is in the same situation? How about any tips or tricks for increasing supply? 
    I can only pump one ounce per side too, even when I am full of milk early in the morning and leaking everywhere. I feel like that can't be normal... I'd love some tips too!

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• Options
    I'm jealous of those whose LOs only want to nurse every 3-4hrs.. I might get a couple 3hr stretches at night (thankfully!) but during the day he wants to nurse often every hour.. and sometimes I put him down and 10 minutes later he wants to nurse again.  I think some of it is just comfort for him, but he hasn't figured out pacifiers yet for a replacement.  He also tends to fall asleep nursing so it can be slow going in each session.  His latch can be painful as well, but it's not unbearable and my nipples aren't yet cracked and bleeding so I'll consider that a win.  Hopefully as he gets older some of these issues will resolve.  I think my supply is fine as he is gaining weight and has quite the diaper output.

Married since 8.2.08
    DS born 8.11.14
    BFP #2: 9.14.16, EDD: 5.24.17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've been exclusively pumping while working on suck training with DS. It is the most stressful and disappointing aspect of having a baby so far. I cry about it every day. LO will suck on just about anything you put near his face, except for a breast. Put a boob in his face and it prompts instant freak out. I spend most of my time behind the pump wondering what I did wrong in the hospital to cause that reaction from him. For now, we take the baby steps and hope that the suck training helps and that as he grows a bit that he will open his freggin mouth wide enough to get a good latch.
    Other than the mental drain of pumping, I have a great supply and DS is putting on weight. I do wonder about getting the hindmilk while pumping. I noticed that DS's poop is more liquidy and was greenish and read that it could be either a dairy aversion or lack of hindmilk. I still see the fat floating on the top of the bottles in the fridge, but I wonder if it's really enough.
    If anyone needs a tracker app I got a free one called Baby Nursing (on my iphone). It allows you to track nursing, pumping, bottles, diapers, sleeping, solids, bath times, Dr. visits, medications, and vaccinations. I can honestly say it's saved me the hassle of writing things down or trying to remember the last time I pumped. When I go see a LC or the Pediatrician and they ask about his habits I can pull them up quickly and have them on hand. 

x

• Options
    Just saw the LC at my pedi's office and got great tips plus the "recipe" for triple nipple ointment. Turns out leaning back to nurse is better for Charlotte -- this way shes not getting too huge a mouthful of milk .

If you're having any trouble I highly recommend a LC. I wasn't having a terrible time and she's gaining well, but i knew it could be, we I'm lucky, the one at the pedis office is IBC LC and she's great.

• Options
    I've been exclusively pumping while working on suck training with DS. It is the most stressful and disappointing aspect of having a baby so far. I cry about it every day. LO will suck on just about anything you put near his face, except for a breast. Put a boob in his face and it prompts instant freak out. I spend most of my time behind the pump wondering what I did wrong in the hospital to cause that reaction from him. For now, we take the baby steps and hope that the suck training helps and that as he grows a bit that he will open his freggin mouth wide enough to get a good latch.
    Other than the mental drain of pumping, I have a great supply and DS is putting on weight. I do wonder about getting the hindmilk while pumping. I noticed that DS's poop is more liquidy and was greenish and read that it could be either a dairy aversion or lack of hindmilk. I still see the fat floating on the top of the bottles in the fridge, but I wonder if it's really enough.
    If anyone needs a tracker app I got a free one called Baby Nursing (on my iphone). It allows you to track nursing, pumping, bottles, diapers, sleeping, solids, bath times, Dr. visits, medications, and vaccinations. I can honestly say it's saved me the hassle of writing things down or trying to remember the last time I pumped. When I go see a LC or the Pediatrician and they ask about his habits I can pull them up quickly and have them on hand. 

I have the same app (although I've stepped away from it for the past few days cause she's been eating/peeing/pooping/gaining weight). It is THE BEST tracking app. Before my Doctor appointment last week I printed out a report of the previous 5 days. They loved it too. 

• Options
    Last week I explained how DD was tongue tied, became jaundiced, was put on formula for a few days, I've been using nipple shields for flat nipples, and most recently I've been pumping like crazy so she's been getting breastmilk exclusively for about a week and a half. I've occasionally been offering her the breast but it's usually ended in tears...hers and sometimes mine. 

I could hardly wait to contribute to this thread today because...yesterday my 3 week old baby did her first full nursing session on the breast! Since yesterday afternoon she's nursed every single time for about 30-40 minutes until satisfied. Previously we would be lucky to have her latch for 3-5 minutes and she would be going crazy the whole time.

Things that I think might have helped (assuming they will still work at this next feeding): 

-Yesterday I had music playing on my iphone and I was singing along while she tried to latch. She seemed to like it and I think it helped me to relax as well. When I stopped singing or the songs would change she would fuss so it must have meant something to her. We'll stick with it for now if it's working! I might have to make a nursing playlist with lots of songs I can sing.

-If she's been really hungry, I first give her about an ounce via bottle and then put her to breast. She really gets too frantic if she's too hungry.

-Two times she was getting frustrated so I pulled out the pump and got my milk to let down before having her latch on. Then she went to town.

What's been most amazing to me is how calm and satisfied she seems after a feeding. On the bottle she would finish in about 10-15 minutes, be really gassy, very awake and sort of agitated. On the breast she literally falls off when she's done and falls asleep. SO LADIES WHO HAVE YET TO HAVE BABIES LATCH, DON'T COMPLETELY GIVE UP YET! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll keep at this and not revert back to so much pumping and bottles.   

I was so proud of her yesterday that I had to take her picture. In the first one she looks like she just left the bar! The other one looks like, "Thanks mommy, I didn't know what I was missing out on!"
    Congratulations! I love your pictures. I always say baby is milk drunk after a good feeding! =)

August 2014 January Siggy Challenge

• Options

@HeatherHam10‌
    I pump every 4 hours also. I was pumping every 3 but with advice from an LC, she suggested I go every 4 and see how my supply reacts. I get anywhere from 8-10 ounces each time I pump. LO takes about 3.5 ounces each feeding so I have plenty stashed in the freezer already.

I have been thinking of cutting out my 4am pump session, I pump 12am, 4am, 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm. I'm nervous about it.

How do you feel when you skip a session at night? Do you pump more milk during the next pump session?

Wow you have a great supply! I usually only get about 4-7 oz each time. I would say you're probably ok to cut out your 4 am time. And when I skip a session I do usually pump more the next...sometimes it's just hard to skip because it starts hurting.

Me 28 DH 30

After 4+ years TTC

FET #2 = DS Madden Jeffery <3 July 29, 2014 <3
  • Options
    I have a constantly nursing baby most of the day and night. In fact he's been napping next to me for the last 90 minutes and that's the longest break I've had since early this morning. But things are going well -- I'm so much more relaxed about many things this time.

I hope all of you ladies who are struggling are able to find your groove and have a satisfying nursing relationship.
  • Options
    My DS has been nursing well for the first couple weeks but recently my left breast is sore (not nipple) before and after nursing. She usually eats 15-30 minutes on each side, but even after a 30 minute feed I'm still sore. I tried pumping afterwards but wasn't able to get anything. I tried a heating pad during my last feeding and massaging the sore area, still sore but feeling better. Then she fitfully nursed on the right then cried after she pulled off. She ate 1.5 oz bottle then seemed satsified. Supply was a huge issue with my DS, so I wanna ensure I'm making enough. My SIL gave me mothers tea & a bf supplement pill, cautious to start taking these though. Any suggestions??

• Options
    My milk supply has decreased since past few days, how can I increase it? My LO is almost 4 weeks. During day I offer my breasts, at night we give her bottle twice. I pump nice or twice a day.
  • Options
    Anyone else with an LO constantly attached to the boob? Pedi said she should be able to go about 3 hours between feedings, but recently it's been 90 minutes. I try to soothe her first so its not just comfort feeding, but shes showing legit hunger cues. She's 12 days old, at hee birth weight plus 11 oz.

I'm so exhausted

• Options
    I feel like a totally jinxed it saying that things are going so well. Since yesterday evening little one has been super fussy and will continue to throw fits when I try to get her to breast-feed. She'll scream and throw her body and arms around until I give her a bottle. So back to where we were before it seems. I guess the success was just a 24 hour teaser. :-(

• Options
    Also I forgot to ask anyone else using nipple shields have the little one grab at them and rip them off multiple times during a feeding session?

We Make a nice mess because the tip of it's usually filled with milk in it pours everywhere and she grabs onto it pulls it off. (yes I have trying to swaddle her to keep her arms away but then she is just so upset about being swaddled she doesn't even seem to think about eating anymore)

• Options

This is us.  It's taken me days to get her back on track from her cluster snacking after our long stretch after the pedi appt. Add into it a plugged duct it was painful last night... literally and figuratively when all she wanted to do was suckle.

Sorry to read.. I wish it was more like riding a bike where once you know how to do it are able to do it again and again. Instead it's almost as if each time I bring her back to the breast she's confused and doesn't know what's going on. She's been feeding again today but we have to get through the initial few minutes of extreme fussiness and persist through.

• Options
    I weaned off the shields around 2 weeks. I would start with it then try without it after a few minutes. It was a lot of back and forth between nipple and shield for a few days but now at 3 weeks we have no issues and I havent used a shield in days.
  • Options
    @sarahsimon I just wanted to say that picture of Tilly is beautiful!

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• Options
    Thank you @mmsweeney1‌ ! I shot it myself, she was a great little model.

@MrsDuarte8185‌ I havent had any issues but in the beginning I used the soothies and I always put breastmilk on my nipples and let them air out after feeding.
  • Options
    @MrsDuarte8185‌ , triple nipple ointment. Ask your OB or MW

• Options
    @MrsDuarte8185 I'm at 3 weeks, my nipples are still sore, cracked but are starting to heal. Call the doctor for Dr. jack Newman's Nipple Ointmint. I air the out as much as I can. I found out airing doesn't count if you put the Ointmint on. So when I air out, no Ointmint and when I put my bra on, I put the Ointmint on!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MC03MC03 member
    @MrsDuarte8185 I had bleeding cracked nipples also. They are finally better and don't hurt at all anymore at 3 weeks pp. I would rub breastmilk on them and let them air dry after every feeding. Then I put neosporin on them. My LC said it was ok to use on a limited basis (for 24-48 hours). It really helped and after a day I could tell things were starting to heal. Hang in there. It really does get better.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"