Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Sitting up

My daughter will be 7 months old on Saturday and still cannot sit up unassisted.  My pediatrician didn't seem to be too worried.  She is babbling (mama and baba sounds), getting up on all fours and rocking, rolling across the room and meeting all of her other milestones.  She sits up fine if I am holding her or she's in the Bumbo or high chair.  I try to practice with her every night but she just slumps forward or falls over backwards.  I'm a first time mom and feel like everyone is putting a lot of pressure on me about her not sitting up yet.  

Anyone else have this same problem?  Should I be concerned?  
Meet DH in 2008 - Engaged on 4.11.2011 - Married on 9.22.2012 - BFP on 5.10.2013 - DD born via emergency c-section on 1.23.2014 

Re: Sitting up

• Thank you!  When she learned how to roll in both directions it was like one day she could do it and the day before she had no clue!  I hope that's what happens with the sitting up.  
    Meet DH in 2008 - Engaged on 4.11.2011 - Married on 9.22.2012 - BFP on 5.10.2013 - DD born via emergency c-section on 1.23.2014 

• edited August 2014
    My LO is 6 months old and sits up completely unassisted. He never did the tripod thing. one day he needed support and the next, he was a pro. He'll reach for something or ocassionaly wobble if he's on a soft surface but recovers. It was an overnight skill it seemed. 

He doesn't roll over AT ALL. Won't even try and the dr. isn't worried.

I think there's the "usual" progression, but at the end of the day all kids are different and for some, it's not a progressively learned skill. 

If the dr. isn't worried then don't worry! (I have to remind myself this something about his not rolling over...)

Your LO might be sitting up fine tomorrow!
    Rachel (a.k.a. The Analytical Mommy.com and @analyticalmommy on IG)
    I'm just trying to make sense of things :-) 
  • Loading the player...
  • I think that people put a lot of pressure on babies to meet the milestones.  Sometimes it's so hard not to get worried, even if it's something silly like this and I agree that if the pediatrician isn't concerned I shouldn't be.  

• I don't think you should be worried! My LO is 6 months and while he can sit if he's leaning against something and can kinda tripod, he really has no interest in sitting unassisted. He seems to want to crawl and stand though. I think babies just do things at their own pace :)
  • W is 8 months tomorrow and he didn't start unassisted until about 3 weeks ago. He was much more interested in standing up so we could never get him to even attempt to stay on his booty! But once he started it was overnight. He just pushed himself up one day and was doing it! :)
  • @ourbundleofjoy that is almost exactly like our son. He just turned 6 months yesterday, and is sitting up unassisted. If he falls over, he (usually) catches his self. But, he will not roll. He rarely rolls from back to tummy, and gets p.o.'d b/c he can't roll back over. He has rolled tummy to back literally once.

It just depends on the baby. They do what they want first, lol.
  • haha! mommyginab the "p.o.'ed" comment made me LOL! Sounds just like my little one! (Though I don't think he has ever rolled over. He just screams and sometimes, just says F'it and takes a nap). 

I think our LO's would be firends ! haha
    Rachel (a.k.a. The Analytical Mommy.com and @analyticalmommy on IG)
    I'm just trying to make sense of things :-) 
  • My DS will be 7 months next week as well and he cannot sit up unassisted, but does fine propped. They all go at their own pace. He just mastered rolling and tries to do crunches when he's on his back, so I'm happy. Can't wait for it to happen!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thank you everyone!  She started doing the "crunches" this week while laying on the changing table or on the floor so I imagine it will come soon.  She's just a lot more interested in rolling and trying to crawl.  

• Usually babies learn to sit at about the same time they learn to crawl.

• LilyGR said:
    Usually babies learn to sit at about the same time they learn to crawl.

What? I have never heard this and I don't know anyone whose LO learned to sit and crawl at the same time. I'm pretty sure this is false.

OP - I wouldn't worry about it. Every baby is different. DS sat unassisted starting at 6m (and crawled starting at 9m) and DD sat unassisted starting at around 7m. I still put a nursing pillow behind her because she still will throw herself back (and she's nowhere near crawling). 

I think it's great that your LO is getting up on all fours! That takes a lot of strength. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"