September 2012 Moms

Wednesday Words

2»

Re: Wednesday Words

• harti09 said:
    I cried at the audiologist this morning. It was not one of my finer moments. The kids didn't even get to do their exam. DS had such and epic freak out, he was hyperventilating and clawing at me to get away. DD was upset her brother was upset. It was horrible.

It didn't help that the audiologist kept saying 'developmental delay' and giving me this look of pity. I seriously lost count of how many times she said it. She had the referral from developmental pediatrics and a write up obviously, but it was the way she said it that rubbed me the wrong way.

So, I had to reschedule. DS has to have two audiologists at this next attempt. If he can't handle it again, he'll have to be sedated because they'll have to hook him up to electrodes. Ugh. I know we'll end up there.

I don't like this. It's part of the process we have to take going into speech therapy and figuring things out, but it sucks.
    Oh, i am so sorry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @harti09, is this normal procedure for speech delay?  It sounds awful.  Poor little guy.  And poor you!  I'm sorry you're dealing with all of that. :-(

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Loading the player...
  • Aww man @harti09. That sucks! I hope he can handle it at the next appt, it can't be easy to have your kid go under. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • I screwed up one of my homework assignments already.  The teacher clearly says that if you do what I did that she will give you an F for the class.  I'm super nervous that me being an idiot is going to screw things up for me already.

If anyone really cares, here's what happened: there's a big list of things to do for chapter one.  The top three looked like practice quizzes.  A few more down there was taking a screen shot of my score of the online games.  I do the quizzes, do all the stuff in between, and get to the online games thing.  I go looking for the online games, and seen in giant green letters that the quizzes I took were actually the online games.  Well she wants the screen shot of the first time you did the game, and if you submit anything besides the first one it will be considered cheating and an F for the class.  I wrote her a note and told her what happened.  I really hope she doesn't fail me :-SS
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • I can't ETA for some reason. Anyways, I would totally understand if she did fail me. I did exactly the thing to earn me an F. I just hope she doesn't.
  • I can't ETA for some reason. Anyways, I would totally understand if she did fail me. I did exactly the thing to earn me an F. I just hope she doesn't.

I would hope there is some kind of warning and flexibility for the first assignment
  • @harti09 I'm sorry today was difficult. It's too bad the woman couldn't have been nicer with what she was saying. Hopefully the next appointment will go better for all of you.
  • @harti09  sorry you are having such a rough day, hopefully things turn around.  maybe the next appointment will be better.

Friends of our (their son is three weeks older than ours) have a speech therapist that comes to there house and he is doing rather well with it.  He wasn't speaking at all and I believe he is making some sounds now, according to his parents (he still isn't speaking publicly).  Although I don't remember them talking about this specific test so maybe its a state / insurance specific thing.  Maybe once you get past this testing, things will look up :)
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • BPerBPer member
    I'm throwing a surprise 30th birthday party for H tonight at a restaurant my friend owns. Between family, friends, people from work, it looks like we'll end up with 50-60 people. I knew FIL was going to try to pay for the whole thing, and I kind of wanted it to be *my* thing, so I had my friend take a $600 deposit from me. FIL called the restaurant, and said he's taking care of it all and to credit my card the $600. I mean, it's generous, but now it's more like his parents are throwing it for him.

I feel like Ben is an unhappy baby most of the time. When he's awake, he seems irritable and agitated, and he fights sleep like crazy. His night sleep is crappy to say the least. We have a reflux DX, I switched his formula, and he seems a little better, but still just not content. I'm sleepy.

• BPerBPer member
    Oh, and one of my stitches healed improperly, or came out early or something because every time I pee, it feels like I'm pouring ammonia on an open wound.

I tried from every angle with a mirror to see what the deal is, and can't see what's going on, other than it still looks like someone punched me in the vag.

I called my OB, and this is the one week a year that she takes vacation so they referred me to the OB covering for her who told me to "put smell Vaseline on it, and come see me if that doesn't help." Well it didn't help, but I think I will wait for my regular OB.

• harti09 said:

I'm excited for them to start speech therapy because I've heard amazing stories about how much kids benefit from it.

Both kids (though DS is slightly more severe with his delay) have been referred for in-office therapy with our insurance. They'll also definitely qualify for in home therapy through the state too. So, once we get going, it will be a good thing. I just wish we could fast forward some.
    Maya had great results. She did in home EI for about 6 months and got completely caught up. We went from just a few words to trying to say everything in a really small window of time.
  • BPer said:
    Oh, and one of my stitches healed improperly, or came out early or something because every time I pee, it feels like I'm pouring ammonia on an open wound. I tried from every angle with a mirror to see what the deal is, and can't see what's going on, other than it still looks like someone punched me in the vag. I called my OB, and this is the one week a year that she takes vacation so they referred me to the OB covering for her who told me to "put smell Vaseline on it, and come see me if that doesn't help." Well it didn't help, but I think I will wait for my regular OB.
    See, it sounds to me like vaseline would just make it worse.  Did you Dr. Google it? :-)  I know that sounds stupid, but I'm sure there could be other ideas on there.  

either way, it sounds horrible and would make me cry. :-(

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• hmp1hmp1 member
    harti09 said:
    @harti09, is this normal procedure for speech delay?  It sounds awful.  Poor little guy.  And poor you!  I'm sorry you're dealing with all of that. :-(
    Yeah, a hearing test is the first step when working with a speech delay. Just to rule out that being a contributing factor. 
    Leo freaked the eff out for his first hearing test. It was terrible and people kept coming into the room to try to help. I finally asked if someone could get a lollipop. That did the trick and he was able to finish the test. For the next test, I asked for the lollipop up front and we were able to get through it semi pain free.  Good luck. Hope you find something that works to sooth him.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1hmp1 member
    harti09 said:
    We never had to do that with Maya's speech delay. I guess all states are different. I never questioned her hearing though. She can hear me open a bag of chips from two states away :)
    I think it might be required since this is through our insurance. We're talking with EI too. They asked if he had a hearing test also though, so maybe its our state as well.
    I would think it would be pretty common to rule out a hearing issue first when working on speech development.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1hmp1 member
    I'm in the middle of painting my kitchen cabinets, which is not a pretty stage. I got restless to make it look somewhat nice, and I got tired of painting, so I just decorated the tops of my cabinets. DH is going to think I'm nuts when he gets home.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1 said:
    I'm in the middle of painting my kitchen cabinets, which is not a pretty stage. I got restless to make it look somewhat nice, and I got tired of painting, so I just decorated the tops of my cabinets. DH is going to think I'm nuts when he gets home.

Did you finish your bathroom??  Did I miss the before & after pictures?!

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• BPerBPer member
    @AlinnJo‌ I must have missed your BFP announcement! Congrats!

@MarisaKathleen‌ So you don't want to hear about how my kid came out with his arm up above his face, hence the aforementioned tearing? Noted. ;)

• BPer said:
    @AlinnJo‌ I must have missed your BFP announcement! Congrats! @MarisaKathleen‌ So you don't want to hear about how my kid came out with his arm up above his face, hence the aforementioned tearing? Noted. ;)
    @BPer, these are things that I expect from TB!  Not from a co-worker!   Birth board things are usually birth related, so I expect TMI and war stories. :-)  I know what I'm in for when I'm here!

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• @BPer did they mention tearing near your urethra?  I did on the last delivery, and they said to expect it to burn when peeing.  Totally check it out with your doc when she gets back from vacation though- sounds rough. 

It doesn't count when you talk about vaginal tearing on TB though, right??  I wouldn't do it at work!

@harti09 Hope the next hearing tests go better and your kids get some great speech therapists. 

@AlinnJo and @SharkFarts You'll have my T&Ps for perfect ultrasounds

• I was feeling really guilty for keeping DH home from work to help me with the kids today, until my Dr. confirmed I have strep.  I'm actually really excited to hear it, because those z-packs make you feel better so fast, and I am over this thing.
  • My last appointment was a young man--born in 1997. :-(
    He tossed his backpack onto my meeting table and we both heard breaking glass.  It was a bottle of cologne.  It's unbelievably smelly in my office right now.  Holy moly.  I bet that's going to last for days.  

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• My last appointment was a young man--born in 1997. :-(
    He tossed his backpack onto my meeting table and we both heard breaking glass.  It was a bottle of cologne.  It's unbelievably smelly in my office right now.  Holy moly.  I bet that's going to last for days.  
    Who carries cologne in their backpack?! Gross.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • jenndub said:
    My last appointment was a young man--born in 1997. :-(
    Ha, that was my first thought...I guess things have changed since I was in high school...which I started in 1997....

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• You're old? I graduated in 93. Oy!!! However, I can tell you that every single year I've taught about 4th grade, I've had a perfume, cologne, or Axe incident. They suck. I'm sorry, M.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Someone is going to die from the ice bucket challenge.  Water is 8.3lb/gal.  A 10 gallon bucket is obvi 83 lb.  So the 40 gallon containers from a deck?  332 lb plus they're being dropped from 4 feet above.  That dumpster on the garage in Holly's thread was probably a 65 or 95 gallon trash can.  Shitballs!  If that really hit his head, it would have been a serious injury.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • jenndub said:
    jenndub said:
    My last appointment was a young man--born in 1997. :-(
    Ha, that was my first thought...I guess things have changed since I was in high school...which I started in 1997....
    We're old, I graduated in 1999. I better throw some perfume in my purse, that's totes what the kids are doing these days.
    I graduated in '96 and I ALWAYS have perfume in my purse. Better catch up

imageimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• BPer said:
    I'm throwing a surprise 30th birthday party for H tonight at a restaurant my friend owns. Between family, friends, people from work, it looks like we'll end up with 50-60 people. I knew FIL was going to try to pay for the whole thing, and I kind of wanted it to be *my* thing, so I had my friend take a $600 deposit from me. FIL called the restaurant, and said he's taking care of it all and to credit my card the $600. I mean, it's generous, but now it's more like his parents are throwing it for him. I feel like Ben is an unhappy baby most of the time. When he's awake, he seems irritable and agitated, and he fights sleep like crazy. His night sleep is crappy to say the least. We have a reflux DX, I switched his formula, and he seems a little better, but still just not content. I'm sleepy.

I would be so pissed. As a former server, I always used the rule of whoever pays first. You clearly paid a deposit, he should have just tried to cover any additional expenses.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • I'm excited for them to start speech therapy because I've heard amazing stories about how much kids benefit from it.

Both kids (though DS is slightly more severe with his delay) have been referred for in-office therapy with our insurance. They'll also definitely qualify for in home therapy through the state too. So, once we get going, it will be a good thing. I just wish we could fast forward some.
    Maya had great results. She did in home EI for about 6 months and got completely caught up. We went from just a few words to trying to say everything in a really small window of time.
    What age was Maya when she started the therapy?  I just met for an initial visit with the case worker for DD.  I'm worried that since her receptive language is developmentally appropriate that she won't qualify for services for her expressive language.  I specifically set up her evaluation so she would be over age 2.  

• edited August 2014
    jenmbott said:

harti09 said:

I'm excited for them to start speech therapy because I've heard amazing stories about how much kids benefit from it.

What age was Maya when she started the therapy?  I just met for an initial visit with the case worker for DD.  I'm worried that since her receptive language is developmentally appropriate that she won't qualify for services for her expressive language.  I specifically set up her evaluation so she would be over age 2.  

Maya started at about 22 months. She had awesome receptive language but still qualified. Our first therapist was not good with her and we stalled the first three months. Once we requested a new therapist she was just over two and she did appointments every other week for about 6 months. She made awesome progress and the therapist told us she didn't need it anymore. She had about 4 words and 10 signs when we started.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"