April 2014 Moms

What did you do with your placenta?

AshleypixieAshleypixie member
edited August 2014 in April 2014 Moms
Did we talk about this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

What did you do with your placenta? 273 votes

I ate the shit out of that beast
0% 2 votes
I encapsulated it
5% 16 votes
I planted it in the ground and had a ceremony (I know someone who actually did this)
1% 3 votes
Dude, I think that thing got thrown in the trash. I forgot it was even there.
86% 235 votes
Just show me what everyone else did. I don't like answering things.
6% 17 votes

Re: What did you do with your placenta?

• J&NLJ&NL member
    Encapsulated
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Planted a tree on it...
  • Loading the player...
  • Dried Ute Meat in a Pill FTW
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • We were going to donate it for stem cells but ya, totally forgot about it. My hubby took a picture of it... Yep, weird and kinda gross!
  • With DD1 I saw the container it was in and asked if that was the placenta. The nurse goes, "yeah. Did you want to see it?"
    Me: "Nope, DH is bringing me pasta for dinner. Thanks."
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • We looked at it and took a picture and admired it and the suuuuper long umbilical cord and the had the birth center dispose of it.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wanted to try encapsulating it, but not enough moolah. It wasn't until my daughter was around 2 months old that my husband brought up what it looked like. I had totally forgotten about it and was kind of sad that I never saw it! A couple minutes after my daughter was born, I told the nurses, "I feel pressure. Is that normal??" They said, "It's okay, that's just the placenta." I should've looked then but just didn't think about it!
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • I'm guessing it was scraped out and put in a biohazard bag, being I had a c-section and all ;-)

• Encapsulated :) Never thought I'd be up for something like that but I'm so glad I did it!

"Oh Eli, there's a sanctity in your innocence. A certain beauty and no uncertain strength that brings me to the faith. I don't know if I am climbing to or falling in, but it comes like grace from your tiny hands when I hold you in mine." - Eli's Song

• Encapsulated. Great decision! I don't have anything to compare it to since I am a FTM but I had lots of energy and only had one major pp meltdown! Take that baby blues! I would do it again next time.

May the Fourth Be With You: Our 5-4-14 Baby: Andrew Joseph
  • Ew.

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• TallaB said:
    Am I the only one who made a placenta bear?
    A what?
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Mine got stuck after delivery and they had to scrap it out. After they sent it off for testing it came back that one of the vessels or cords had a bloc
  • I don't mean to mock, it's just not a thing people do often here. In fact it's very difficult to be given your own placenta to take from a hospital if it's possible at all. For those who encapsulated, was it expensive? What have the health benefits been for you or have you noticed? I always imagine that your burps would taste like iron! I hope not.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mine went into the garbage although the doctor held it up for dh and I to see...what a weird looking thing!
  • avidkeo said:

I planted it in the ground and had a ceremony (I know someone who actually did this)

You mock!! lol, No ceremony but its the cultural normal here to plant the placenta with a tree over it so thats what we did. Now when we take DD for walks around the garden we point out which is her tree, and it will always be her tree. Oh the tree we planted was a Native to NZ so were were also helping there as well.
    It's common amongst many native tribes here too. It is thought to ground you to your roots so that you can always find your way home. Also many tribes consider it a "twin", so it deserves a proper burial. The hospital refused to give me back my placenta with DD1, so I worry she will always be missing a piece of herself.

• I got to look at mine and the nurse showed me where DS was and the umbilical cord. It was really cool. Then it was thrown away.

• I intended to encapsulate, but DD came almost 6 weeks early and we had nothing lined up. They kind of also told us that they needed to send it to the lab for testing to try and determine why I had PROM. I never heard anything.
  • I don't mean to mock, it's just not a thing people do often here. In fact it's very difficult to be given your own placenta to take from a hospital if it's possible at all. For those who encapsulated, was it expensive? What have the health benefits been for you or have you noticed? I always imagine that your burps would taste like iron! I hope not.
    I know you didnt! sorry, I hate text! can never truly get tone across!
    I think it sux that its difficult for you to get things like this! Here anything that gets done they have to get your permission what to do with anything removed - be it placenta, limbs, gallstones or what ever. I gather in the states its kinda the opposite. 
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Well mine was weird b/c of where the cord attached so it was shown to some students in the delivery room, then I assume they threw it away. I didn't look.

\image  image

• I would have been open to planting, but we live in an apartment and the hospital wouldn't let us take it anyway.
    This I find very wrong - Its yours! what on earth does the hospital gain by keeping it? lol
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016

I have taken it both from a hospital and a birth center and had no issues w/ either. I don't know anyone who had a problem taking it from the hospital, actually.

I am super lucky that my SIL is a professional encapsulator, so she did mine. I owe her a GC as a thank you, though. ack!

I think the normal range is $150-250 depending on the area.

I've had 1 baby without and 2 with. Better mood, recovery, milk supply, etc. So, placebo or not, I don't care, it worked for me.

I didn't have any issues taking mine (just had to sign a release) at my hospital (Presbytarian, private), but I have friends who have birth at private, conservatively religious hospitals (Baptist, Catholic) who had to get court orders to take theirs.

My encapsulation cost $200 which seems pretty standard. I can see a HUGE difference this time with the pills -- no PPA, much more energy, better milk supply.

DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Wanted to get it encapsulated, but the girl flaked one me... I just asked to see it so I knew what it looked like before they tossed it or sent it off or whatever they do.
  • J&NLJ&NL member
    It's not hard at all. My doula brought a cooler with her and when I pushed it out, the doctor checked it out and she put it in her cooler. I got there 20 mins before I had DS so there weren't even go over it with them. They just said "ok!"

I paid $500 for my doula and for her to
    Encapsulate. It would've been $100 for her to just encapsulate. I don't regret it. I felt great after birth and barely had any PP blues or anything. I had a ton of energy too.
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • I agree with all the other "encapsulators" about the benefits I saw. Energy, great supply, no major mood swings, etc. It was $150 from a local doula and the whole process was pretty easy.
    I NEVER though I would want to do something like that but since I was 10 days overdue I got bored, started researching, and made a last minute decision to try it. Not nearly as gross as I though it would be!
  • I was so tired I don't even remember pushing that thing out. XD

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • I don't even think I pushed to get it out. Never saw it or even thought about it.
  • I got really sick with an infection during delivery and mine had to be taken and analyzed. I think I'm still angry nothing went as planned :(
  • It slid out of me like a jellyfish! We looked at it, the midwife showed us the sac and where DS was, the long umbilical cord, DH took pictures. We joked about taking it with us and the MW said they'd keep it in the fridge for us. I didn't take it, but might consider encapsulation if we have a second kid since I had such trouble with ppd/ppa.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"