August 2014 Moms

Tushy Tuesday (CD Checkin)

dogperson11dogperson11 member
edited August 2014 in August 2014 Moms
Thought I would start us off.

Moms of outside babies: What kinds of CD are you using for NB phase? (Brands or types) Anything working that you didn't expect? Anything not working that you expected to?

Moms of inside babies: What do you plan on using for NB phase? (Brands or types)

Questions/comments
Married November 2009
Clara, August 2014 
Baby Boy due October 2017

Re: Tushy Tuesday (CD Checkin)

• Inside baby here...

We have mostly AIOs (THX, Happy Flute, 2-3 Grivia, 3 Simplex) and a dozen preemie prefolds with a few covers. Hoping to use the AIOs and avoid the prefolds, but we'll see. I'm excited to hear what's working / not working for outside baby moms!
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • I'm hoping to have a baby today! We'll use up the paper diapers from the hospital through the meconium stage, but then I've got newborn gDiapers that I really love.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Loading the player...
  • Inside baby as well.  I did buy Imagine brand AIOs for NB stage but I think I may have been a little optimistic - I figured that since I would be home with baby I could do laundry every day and only bought 12.  We'll see how that works!  I may supplement with disposables that were gifted to us until baby is big enough for my BG Freetimes.  I have 25 of those.  I am excited to use them all!
    TTC #1 since 2/2013
    BFP 12/9/13!  Adeline Rose born 8/21/14

imageimage

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Inside baby here too.

We've got 22 GMD prefolds, 3 newborn covers and 6 Thirsties Duo Size 1 covers. Also have about 7 NB sized AIOs. We plan to use sposies at least through the meconium stage, probably for about the first week.

• Emma is still a tad to small for most of her newborn stash - pockets and AIO but I found the bum genius newborn, GOD prefolds and the bummis super bright covers are working pretty well. I also put her in a blueberry fitted and another fitted and those did well aslo. Basically right now as long as she fits without huge gaps they work, although she suffers from giant diaper butt.

I have to say I LOVE the cloth wipes and the solution i made for her. The solution is somewhat moisturizing and i can dry her little bum before putting her in her diaper. Her boots isn't as red as when we put her in disposables. FI at night will put her in disposables (prob because he's to tired to do the cloth diaper thing..)
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • So far i like cloth a lot better than disposables because i can tell she's peed where disposables i can't tell because she poos and pees at the same time and they get all mixed in together...
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • dogperson11dogperson11 member
    edited August 2014

Emma is still a tad to small for most of her newborn stash - pockets and AIO but I found the bum genius newborn, GOD prefolds and the bummis super bright covers are working pretty well. I also put her in a blueberry fitted and another fitted and those did well aslo. Basically right now as long as she fits without huge gaps they work, although she suffers from giant diaper butt.

I have to say I LOVE the cloth wipes and the solution i made for her. The solution is somewhat moisturizing and i can dry her little bum before putting her in her diaper. Her boots isn't as red as when we put her in disposables. FI at night will put her in disposables (prob because he's to tired to do the cloth diaper thing..)

What's your solution that you made? I'm still trying to figure out if just water will work or if I need to get a little fancy.

Also, I'm with @zoegirlTX - do you need a wet wipe after just a pee diaper (will be a baby girl).
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • Outside baby, 2nd time cding a newborn. I use mostly KL0 and gmd new born workhorse fitteds with flats to fill in the gaps during laundry day. I have a variet of covers - imagine newborn, blueberry mini, thirsties xs, thirsties size 1, prowrap newborn. They're all fitting well now, except I haven't tried the blueberries yet since ds just lost his cord stump (stupid thing held on for 14 days) and the blueberry don't have elastic in front to stay down. I've used coconut oil or waxelenea few time if he starts looking a little red, but we haven't had any real rash issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Outside baby

I didn't want to spend the $$ on newborn CDs so we are doing disposables right now. Once he gets bigger we will move on to our cloth diapers. He is only 7lbs right now, so we will see if they fit okay at 8 lbs or if we have to wait until closer to 10 lbs.

August 2014 January Siggy Challenge

• lookame3639lookame3639 member
    edited August 2014
    @dogperson11‌
    i found a recipe online. It's
    1 tablespoon baby oil
    1 tablespoon lavender scented baby wash (i use aveeno lavender and chamomile since i couldn't find just lavender)
    2-3 drops of lavender oil
    3 cups of water

i only wipe where there is poop, so I don't wipe the whole area. As for pee dipes i find whenever I change her she's pooped as well as peed or she pooped and then as soon as Iremoved the diaper she pees...lol

water works however I find the solution better since it smells nice and is a little slicker so it seems like the poop comes off easier.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Outside baby
    Right now I'm using Ecobunz pockets size small. I really like them. I have some others that are OS that she's not in yet. Using disposable wipes for now.
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We don't use cloth diapers for the newborn stage but wait and use OS diapers.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Outside baby here. (5 days new)

We are still burning through the hospital sposies, at least until his circ is completely healed, which is looking like it's alllllmost there, I just like to play on the cautious side and keep slathering him up with Vaseline until I'm sure.

We have GmD infant prefolds, workhorses and thirsties covers to start him in when we are ready, plus a handful of other things. I'm already doing diaper laundry from DS1 so that isn't a big deal. Since my chunky baby is already almost back at birth weight and 9lbs, I'm thinking it won't be long until I can use pretty much anything in my stash on him.

Side note- DH was looking at the pack of newborn disposables we had left and realized we had already gone through 40+ diapers, saying it's "pretty much a crime on your wallet to buy disposables". Made me laugh ;)
  • @kountingsheep‌ do you notice if your LO poops or pees a ton? DD is 5 lbs 5 ozs now (she's getting some chunk on her) and I'll still put diapers on that gap a little around her thighs however she doesn't poop and pee a ton - at least not out of the diaper.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Inside baby. We signed up for a CD service, which just dropped off our first delivery of prefolds and cloth wipes. I have 6 Thirsties size one covers and 1 small Bummis Super Brite cover.

I'm planning to just use water on the wipes (but open to something else if it works better), and I have Grandma El's diaper cream (with coconut oil as a backup.)
  • camichalskicamichalski member
    edited August 2014
    Outside baby leaving hospital in the morning!!! I have a mix of GMD flats, prefolds, and fitteds. I also have one or two of each cover from them as well. I decided to try everything to see what I like most before I buy anything more than nb.I also have a few P & Ns. I really think I am going to like the flats the best. My DH is excited (he would not say excited) about the fittedes. I think putting on a new diaper is the first thing I am going to do when I get home!!!!!!!!
  • dvmmommadvmmomma member
    edited August 2014
    @stoofewok, I've also read that using wicking materials (micro fleece inserts or something) can help clear up rashes. I've still got an inside baby so really have no idea :)

As far as our NB stash, we have 6 NB GMD workhorses, 6 NB GMD bamboo pre-folds, 12 Osocozy size 1 pre-folds and 6 cotton something or other pre-folds that I got at one of my showers. For covers- 5 size 1 Thirsties Duo's (3 snap and 2 Aplix), 2 size 1 Blueberry Capris and 1 Blueberry NP Simplex AIO. When the new Blueberry prints come out, I'll be getting a few mini coveralls and maybe another AIO if we like the one we have. I can't wait to use it all!!

ETA: microfleece and not microfiber.
  • Inside baby. We plan to use the disposables from the hospital until the meconium is gone, then we have 25 Charlie Bananas for the newborn phase, and 13 (working on building our stash) Bum Genius AIOs and pockets for later. 

I still need to get some CD safe detergent. What does everyone use? Anything I can get at the grocery or Target?
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker
  • shutaff said:

Inside baby. We plan to use the disposables from the hospital until the meconium is gone, then we have 25 Charlie Bananas for the newborn phase, and 13 (working on building our stash) Bum Genius AIOs and pockets for later. 

I still need to get some CD safe detergent. What does everyone use? Anything I can get at the grocery or Target?
    Inside baby, but we're planning to use Tide original powder. It's pretty highly recommended by a lot of CD users (on the board here and in other FB groups in a part of).
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
  • shutaff said:

Inside baby. We plan to use the disposables from the hospital until the meconium is gone, then we have 25 Charlie Bananas for the newborn phase, and 13 (working on building our stash) Bum Genius AIOs and pockets for later. 

I have been using Nellie's Laundry Soda for almost 3 years with no issues. I originally tried it because it's one of the cheapest options per load, and I can often find it at TJ Maxx making it even more affordable than ordering off amazon. One tin lasts me A LONG time. When we lived in an area with soft water I could use half a tablespoon per load, now that we are back in SoCal's awful hard water I use a full tablespoon scoop per load, but it's still super cheap compared to a lot of the CD safe options.
  • Inside baby here- I'm due today but doesn't look like she is going to make an appearance quite yet (but very soon I think!). We'll be working through a small disposable cachet until we get through the muconeum stage and/ or her legs are chunky enough to fit the CDs.

Newborn stash: I have 20 prefolds and 15 clotheez workhorses, and a kajillion covers gifted to me by my sister (bummis, flips, and a couple rumparooz- OK, 13-14 so not a kajillion but plenty!). I'm finishing my third prep wash of new workhorses (12 of them are new - everything else is hand me down so I figured one wash would be good). Oh, and I got three used wool covers which I am ridiculously excited about.

For diaper cream, I'm going to use coconut oil and see how that goes. Laundry detergent is either BioKleen or Country Save (depending on what is on sale).  I still need to buy some reusable wipes but we were gifted a huge box of Honest Co. disposables so we will use those first and for out of the house, etc.

C'mon baby girl! Get here soon!

first pregnancy
    due August 20, 2014
    (my blog about bikes, growing things, home remodeling 
    and other random life stuff)

• Outside baby!

We started CD on day 10.  As far as NB stash, we have mostly GMD workhorses and flats, but we also have bamboo prefolds, and 4 little joeys.  For NB covers we're using Blueberry mini coveralls and Thirsties size 1 covers. He has a lot more wet and dirty diapers than we anticipated, and sometimes waits to poop until we have a new diaper underneath him.  So, we barely have enough for EOD laundry.  I did try a few Thirsties size 1 AIO, a Kawaii little green baby, and a size 1 Applecheeks on him a couple of days ago, and they seemed to fit him pretty well. So, now we have those in rotation too, and that helps.

As far as detergent goes, we are team Tide original powder!  For the booty, we're using coconut oil, CJ's butter, and Grandma El's.

So far, we're loving CD, and I can't believe how many sposies we used in those 10 days before we started. I'd much rather do diaper laundry.  I just wish DS would let me put him down more because it can get hard to sneak away to do laundry.  Luckily, DH is into cloth, too and doesn't mind changing diapers or doing the laundry.

TTC Since 6/13
    BFP 1: 6/16/13  EDD: 3/2/14  MMC: 8/26/13
    BFP 2: 11/16/13 EDD: 8/3/14
    Baby Brody born 8/1/14!!!

• DS is 4 days old and has been in CDs since we got home. I prefer prefolds and covers, just like I did with DD, but I bought some AIOs second hand this time and they're the easiest overnight. Plus DH likes them best.
    My AIOs are from some co-op buy (unknown Chinese knockoffs but cheap and work fine). I use GMD prefolds with a snappi and a mixed bag of old covers I got off Craigslist until the cord stump falls off. Then I like thirsties duo wraps size one and have some Charlie Banana smalls waiting to be used. Once his legs chunk up a bit we'll move to OS covers with a tri-folded prefold.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"