August 2014 Moms

No milk yet

I am 6 days post c section. My baby boy has never latched well so I have been pumping constantly since he is born. I am able to pump between 10-15 ml of colostrum every 2 to 3 hours. I have been giving him this with formula. Hoping my milk comes soon so I can stop supplementing with formula. Any stories on when this will happen or suggestions to make it come faster?

Re: No milk yet

• If he's not latching well, have you reached out to an LC? You will want him to have a good latch to help the milk come in and keep it coming in. I saw an LC with all 3 of my girls for various latch issues. Hang in there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I want to say my milk came in 3-4 days after I had DD. I think i may have been pumping solely those first days but I'm not 100 percent sure - I know she only got bottles for the first 2 days postpartum. Anyway i pulled milk by pumping on a schedule every 3 hours and for 30 minutes. Once I had established milk and a small supply i then lessened how long I pump.

While DD was in the hospital I sought out as much help possible. I took advice from the nicu nurses and LC. is there a helpline you can call to get a hold of a LC? Have you asked his pediatrician about his latch issue? What kind of latch issues is he having?
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the responses. I spoke with LC today. She suggested using a larger flange to pump with. I think the one I was using was too small not allowing my nipples to move freely. Also, she told me to stick with trying to get LO to latch on. I have larger breasts and nipples. Once I put nipple in his mouth he will suck one or two times and that is it. Never truly latches on even if I squeeze the breast to fit in his mouth better. I am fine with EPing if that is what it came down to, but without any milk I can't even do that. I know the little bit that I am giving him is better than nothing. It is just frustrating to spend all this time time pumping for the little bit that comes out.
  • I'm 6 days PP and my kiddo wouldn't latch in the hospital. He was dehydrated and not producing enough wet/dirty diapers. The LC brought me a nipple shield to try and it has served us well this whole time. It's the only way he'll eat. I guess my nipples aren't long enough? Maybe a shield would work for you too?
  • Make sure that you are well hydrated. My milk didn't come in with DS1 for about 6 days and I think it was partially because I wasn't hydrated enough.

@lediaz‌ I had to use a nipple shield on my right side for DS2. I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't latch on that side. A nurse gave me one to try and it worked well, and I don't use it anymore now.

• Drink a ton of water, eat oatmeal as much as you can (I mix healthy add-ins to keep the variety up), take some showers where you let the warm water hit your breasts for about 5 minutes solid, and try using a heating pad on your breasts before you offer them to your son.
    In addition to the LC, get on kellymom.com and check out some of the tips there!
    Good Luck!
    "There is more to us than we know. Perhaps, if we are made to see it just once, for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn, Founder of Outward Bound

• Drink lots of water and relax. Once I stopped stressing about breastfeeding because she would not latch and decided to just pump, my milk came in. I was surprised, I could stop supplementing with formula and now have built up a good supply in the freezer and LO will be 3 weeks tomorrow.

Everyone kept pushing the breastfeeding and I was so stressed out about it. My philosophy now is at least she is getting my milk which is most important.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you for all the comments!, I am trying not to stress too much and actually today my supply has increased slightly. I think the larger flange definitely helped. I spoke with LC today and she also suggested some things I can try to increase my supply. I will just keep working at it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"