One & Done: Only child
Options

Have you had to cancel a plane ticket due to death?

We are getting ready to go to MA on Thursday with my parents, but my dad's brother might not make it to then, but it is really up in the air. Have you had to cancel due to a death before? I looked at policies and everything, but I'm wondering how complicated airlines make it and how difficult it might be to get a death certificate (dad feels a little weird asking for a copy). As it is, it might just be them cancelling, and DH, DD, and I still going on the trip.
University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

Re: Have you had to cancel a plane ticket due to death?

• Options
    AgoAgo member
    Marshfield/Rexhame Beach!
    University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

• Options

Sorry to hear.

I haven't had to do this before- I am thinking you might have to somehow prove that the death was the reason you are cancelling your ticket, but at that point I might just suck it up and pay the cancellation fee.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    AgoAgo member
    No. We bought insurance when we went on our trip so that if something did happen we'd get reimbursed. I can't imagine canceling would be hard but you might lose the money you paid for the tickets. You could call the airline and ask. If I remember correctly getting a death certificate takes a little while and you have to pay for them. Though I am not sure how much.
    Oh, good point.  I forgot that sometimes you have to pay for them.  I wonder if we can buy insurance now and then use it if needed.

• Options
    Yes. With United, and they easily refunded, but we were both premiere. Not sure it made a difference, but it was very easy and they were very nice about it. No documents were required.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"