Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Flying with an Infant (SO concerns) ?

I moved across the country with my SO (for 'us' and his schooling) before knowing I was pregnant. Now, we are going to be first time parents and more than excited to welcome our baby girl.

Anyways, I terribly miss my family and I want to introduce the new baby when she comes. It would be a very convenient time to visit, so I could attend my sister's graduation and to see other family visiting from other states. Also, my mother would prefer for me to come in Oct., because it will be her fall break and will be able to care for the baby.. (plus she will be helping with the ticket!) It would be a perfect time to introduce the baby to my loved ones and get some much needed family time...

But my SO isn't to fond of me flying with a one month old and I think he just doesn't want me to leave for two weeks away from him with his baby girl. ( We don't spend to much time apart, but he must attend classes and isn't the biggest fan of my family.. 'differences') Which I am concerned for her health as well and insisted that I want to get a doctors approval first. Yet, I do believe he will still be extremely hesitant to allow me to fly 6 hours on a plane with a baby that will be around 6 weeks.

I've read around about it being safe to fly with infants, but I just wanted a few opinions on the subject matter and some feedback if you have flown with your infant. Thank you for your time!

-Christa Hope

Re: Flying with an Infant (SO concerns) ?

• Flying with infants is much easier than flying with toddlers.  DS was easy up until about a year on a plane.  That being said, I don't know if I'd be ready to fly that quickly with a LO.  Also, have you considered if you will feel up to traveling at 4-6 weeks?  If you have a c-section, you'll still be recovering and may not feel strong enough yet for that kind of travel.
  • I think you'd be surprised by how crappy you'll be feeling then. You'll be bleeding pretty heavily still, you'll be really sore still, and if you tear you may not even feel comfortable sitting for very long. Is it possible? Sure, as long as LO has her vaccines, but that would be the last thing I would have wanted to do one month in to be perfectly honest with you. Not to mention she may want to eat around the clock which may be difficult while on the plane/in the airport, breastfeeding starting out is not easy and if you formula feed I don't even know how that would work
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • flclflcl member
    Agree with PP about waiting till LO's first round of vaccines and not being ready to travel when LO is still so young.  I also think you need to hear your H out about separating him from baby for so long.  Maybe you guys can compromise on a shorter time away.  
  • I'm the outlier here. I think you'd be fine to fly. If you are nursing, lo will get your antibodies anyway and has a lower risk of getting sick. At that age you could easily wear lo on the plane and that really limits their interaction with other people and germs. They sleep so much at that age you'd be fine as long as you feed on the way up and down to help their ears. Also, I felt fine at six weeks PP, so flying like that would have been fine. I think your bigger problem is getting SO on board.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• PrimRoseMamaPrimRoseMama member
    edited August 2014
    Nope. Not before shots & not with the way I felt at 4-6 weeks...

Also I think travel is banned that early? I want to say most airlines won't allow an infant that young?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• PrimRoseMama said: Also I think travel is banned that early? I want to say most airlines won't allow an infant that young?
    There is actually no restriction on age for air travel with an infant.  I flew with DD at 4 weeks from Europe to the States.  It was quite easy since she nursed and slept the entire time.  The 2 and 4 year old were a different story:)  Also, the time change was no big deal since she was still getting up to nurse every 2 hours. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm actually in a similar situation. Our LO is due mid sept, we booked flights down to visit family in mid Oct. (the reason is for them to meet the LO and we plan to stay until the holidays).
    We live in a northern remote area and it will take us at least 8 hours to fly back home to visit family.
    I spoke with my dr. They said there is no reason not to fly providing all is well with the baby. Especially if you are breast feeding.
    So if there is any concerns talk to your dr. Make sure you have the all clear before you go. And get travel insurance in case you would have to cancel the tickets.
    Good luck.
  • For me the biggest concern would be if you are recovered enough and feeling up to it. You will be alone and responsible for hauling luggage, carseat, baby, stroller, etc. Infants don't travel lightly! The logistics of all that alone will be a challenge.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also know that your LO should have their own purchased seat on the plane where you will install their carseat.  
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• alakealake member
    edited August 2014
    I flew with my third at 5 weeks after a natural delivery.  With my older two, I would have not felt like flying.  I had a third degree tear with my first and my second was born via an emergency c-section.  My third was born completely naturally after three hours of labor.  I had no tearing or other issues with the delivery.
    I had no intentions of taking her that early.  Today is her second birthday and we were going to fly back for Halloween.  We had moved from Canada to Miami about four months before I found out I was pregnant.
    A really good friend of mine was killed and I made the choice to go home for his funeral.  It was just the two of us.  We had sent her passport of as soon as I had everything gathered.  It arrived two days before we left.  She had her own seat and slept in her car seat for most of the two flights as we had no direct flights. 
    She has been on 20 plus international flights.  She has never flown where she hasn't had her own seat.  It is extremely dangerous for you and your baby for them not to be restrained in a car seat during the flight. 
  • Kimbus22 said:
    I wouldn't even consider bringing a baby on an airplane until after the first round of shots.  And I would NOT have felt up to travel 6 weeks PP with either kid.
    This!
  • alake said:
    I flew with my third at 5 weeks after a natural delivery.  With my older two, I would have not felt like flying.  I had a third degree tear with my first and my second was born via an emergency c-section.  My third was born completely naturally after three hours of labor.  I had no tearing or other issues with the delivery.
    I had no intentions of taking her that early.  Today is her second birthday and we were going to fly back for Halloween.  We had moved from Canada to Miami about four months before I found out I was pregnant.
    A really good friend of mine was killed and I made the choice to go home for his funeral.  It was just the two of us.  We had sent her passport of as soon as I had everything gathered.  It arrived two days before we left.  She had her own seat and slept in her car seat for most of the two flights as we had no direct flights. 
    She has been on 20 plus international flights.  She has never flown where she hasn't had her own seat.  It is extremely dangerous for you and your baby for them not to be restrained in a car seat during the flight. 
    OK, it's safer to have them restrained, but not extremely dangerous!  You're baby is still safer flying in your arms than driving properly restrained on the highway, which is why the FAA continues to allow it, they don't want people choosing the highway over flying if cost is the driving factor.
  • I just spent two weeks in NY, flying there when my LO was 5 weeks old and back when she was 7 weeks old, for my brother's wedding.  She was too young to be vaccinated for the first trip, but we had her vaccinated in NY, so she had her shots for the flight back.  I wore her in a moby wrap, and she slept the whole way there and back.  

If you're going to try it, I would recommend checking all of your luggage except your purse and diaper bag and wearing the baby.  If you wear the baby, and take appropriate hand washing precautions (which you should be doing anyways), you should be fine.  Be aware, though, that random people will absolutely try to touch a stranger's baby.  I had it happen several times on this trip.  Because she was in a wrap, I was able to play defense.  I wouldn't try to take my baby through an airport in a stroller because I might not get there fast enough to stop someone from touching her.

I waited until two weeks after giving birth to buy plane tickets, at which point I was sure I'd be physically up to flying. 
  • Definitely have a look at that link :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I flew with my LO when he was 5 weeks old. My Dr had no problem with it as it was not flu season, just recommended nursing upon take off and landing to help LO's ears with the altitude change. My DH was with me, we checked our suitcase, and had his stroller which we gate checked. We did buy LO his own seat and used his car seat in it. He slept 95% of the time. It was a relatively short flight (2 hours) and was not at all as difficult as I thought it would be. I changed his diaper right before boarding so I wouldn't have to do it in the airplane bathroom, which would be difficult at best. I did it again when LO was 7 weeks old, by myself, on another 2 hour flight. Not sure I would want to try it on a longer flight. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"