August 2013 Moms
Options

Baby's First Allergy

I found out today that LO LOVES hummus but is also allergic to it. Her face started breaking out in hives on the second cracker. A little internet research tells me it is the sesame in the hummus that she's most likely allergic to.

Apparently sesame allergies are pretty common and on the rise as Americans eat more diverse foods than in the past. This article was very informative.
https://www.livingwithout.com/issues/4_8/sesame_seed_allergy-2025-1.html

Thank goodness she just had a breakout on her face and not a more severe reaction. Still, it makes me nervous! Anyone else's LO have this reaction to hummus?

Re: Baby's First Allergy

• Options
    Same thing happens to my son though I think for him it may be the chickpeas. I've made stir fry with sesame many times and my son has never had a reaction to that. My sister also has issues with hummus/chickpeas. I've yet to try them on their own but probably should just to see what happens.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My LO has had humus and seemed fine but my hubby has an eggplant allergy so I have not given him baba Ghanoush yet.

I taught a student with a sesame and sunflower allergy. He had to avoid certain deep fried foods because of the oil but it was very manageable.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    vulpinivulpini member
    edited August 2014
    LO had chickpeas and was fine.  We haven't tried giving him hummus yet, but I was just thinking it could be a good snack and was planning on buying some this week.  I don't think he's had any sesame yet.  He gets a rash around his mouth from eating eggs, but can have them in baked goods.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We made some pseudo hummus by just blending up chickpeas and olive oil.
  • Options
    No issues here. My kids love hummus, whether it's store bought or homemade.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My youngest doesn't have any known allergies to hummus, but my older son just had a reaction to it last month. Not sure if it was just the brand or what, he's had hummus before so we aren't sure what's up with that. He got pretty ill and his face puffed up.

We actually go to the allergist tomorrow anyway (the older one also has a mild reactions to peanuts...that he appears to be outgrowing! Yay!). Bummer because we were hoping to be done with food allergies...until the hummus issue happened!
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"