Single Parents

New here-intro

So my husband of 5 years (together 11) decided he was going to leave me 2 weeks ago. He has a new girlfriend, but swears he's not doing it because of her. He swears he hasn't cheated and looking at phone bills, they were only talking 2 weeks prior to his leaving.  I guess only he and her will really know the truth.  I feel lost, betrayed and disrespected, but I know I can do this without him. 

I have an appointment to meet with my lawyer this week, and he had his appointment yesterday.  He thinks that it's okay for us to have 50/50 custody with every other week.  I swear it's not going to happen.  I'm fighting for me as custodial with him having visitation.  I need some pointers!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New here-intro

• Wow I'm sorry to hear this. I was married 5 years as well.
    How old are your children? Why do you disagree with 50/50? Not saying you are wrong for feeling that way, but wondering your thoughts behind it.
  • My kids are 8, 4, and 1yr9m. I don't think that a 50/50 schedule is very stable for the kids. He has his own business and works ridiculous hours, while I work 8-3 everyday. He thinks that it's ok to rely on his family to fill in those gaps of time in which he will not be able to get them early. I also don't believe that 1 entire week without seeing the other parent is not fair to them when that is all they know. I am the primary caregiver, while he comes home to play. With the oldest in 3rd grade, I don't think that this will good especially for her. I just finished breastfeeding the youngest, and she is not used to spending very much time with him because he usually focuses on the other 2. I don't want to keep my kids from their father, but I don't think that his planned schedule will be very good either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I completely agree with your logic. If you are the primary care giver than they should be primarily with you.
  • Wow-- so sorry you are dealing with this.

I don't have much advice RE the custody, because we are not quite up to that yet, but there are a bunch of really supportive ladies here that are more well versed than I.

Good luck to you!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Welcome to the board, sorry I can't give you pointers on custody as I did not give my ex that option (we were never married and his name is not on the birth certificate).  I do agree with your logic, and also agree with becwheat.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies! I will definitely keep that in mind Becwheat!
  • Welcome :)
    I was in a nearly identical situation to yours...it'll be a year next month (wow...I can't believe that.) STBXH and I were married 8 years and together 13. Our daughter is now 6, and he lives in a different state. He was "talking" to another girl and all of a sudden it was over. Joke's on him because they never wound up together...lol.

As far as custody -- I haven't gotten to that point yet -- but it may be different in my situation because my ex lives 900 miles away. But, be prepared for 50/50 like the other girls said. In most cases, the state will push for equal parenting time so that the children can have an opportunity to maintain a strong relationship with each parent. I would push for first right of refusal though, and maybe even see if you can add a clause that prevents the ex from having his lady friend around your kids for a certain amount of time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  •  I would push for first right of refusal though, and maybe even see if you can add a clause that prevents the ex from having his lady friend around your kids for a certain amount of time.
    Yes! Yes! Yes!

If BD were to fight to have some sort of arrangement (and not just text me a question every couple of months) and was dating somebody, I would definitely have a clause in there regarding a girlfriend.

•  I would push for first right of refusal though, and maybe even see if you can add a clause that prevents the ex from having his lady friend around your kids for a certain amount of time.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

If BD were to fight to have some sort of arrangement (and not just text me a question every couple of months) and was dating somebody, I would definitely have a clause in there regarding a girlfriend.

Problem with this is there is no way to enforce this.
  • Sorry I'm a little late but I want to say I'm sorry you're in this situation.

I don't have any advice regarding custody because I'm currently pregnant and won't be doing anything custody/visitation until LO is born. That being said, I refuse 50/50 because he doesn't even ask a thing about this baby.

Good luck to you and welcome!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Yes! Yes! Yes!

Problem with this is there is no way to enforce this.
    Well, in my case, I would push supervised visits always.  That would be the only way to enforce.  If you got evidence to prove the girlfriend was around the baby/kids, there would be a reprimand, right?  At least, that's my assumption.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"