January 2014 Moms

I'm a zombie...baby won't sleep anymore...wth??

My first son was a great sleeper (I'm talking sleeping 9-10 hours a night early on, and 3 hour naps). My new little guy, who is 7 months tomorrow, has never been a good sleeper. A good night is 5-6 hours of sleep, then waking up every hour/two after that. He "slept through" the night (8-9 hours maybe?) only 3 times in his little life. Which we have dealt with, and I have read is normal for most babies.

Well holy crap...I am going on 3 weeks of him not sleeping longer than an hour at night. He wakes every half hour to hour crying, as soon as I pick him up he passes out, and then as soon as I lay him in his crib he is instantly asleep. We play that game for hours until I am so tired that I cry, and he goes into bed with me (which I hate, hate, hate to do but I have a 2 and a half year old and I need SOME kind of sleep!)

Took him to pediatrician. He is not teething, no ear infection. He had a cold and is over that now. Is this freaking normal because I am so tired that I am miserable, and cranky, and short tempered with my two year old, and baby, and husband. I feel so awful. Whenever I read stories like this people say they find out baby was sick/teething, etc. but this isn't the case. And three weeks?!?

Let me know if anyone has gone through this...I'm worried!! Thanks

(:|

Re: I'm a zombie...baby won't sleep anymore...wth??

• Did you ask the doc about any stomach issues? Have you tried naps on his stomach while you watch him on the monitor? DD is still on Ranitidine (Zantac) due to acid reflux. I can tell when she needs it (I wanted to start weaning her, but she still needs it). I can only imagine how awful this is for you. The mantra for every overtired parent: THIS TOO SHALL PASS. Keep your head up!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • We did this for all of month five and half of month six. Every hour waking is him not being able to get through sleep cycles and go back to sleep on his own. We were dealing with a move to his crib, in his own room, breaking the swaddle, and still needing to be rocked/ bounced to sleep. Consistency and bedtime routine and just time are the only things that worked. I was dead to the world most days, people at work would say I'm tired and I just stare at them.
    I'm not an essential oil fanatic but incorporating lavender oil into bedtime has also helped him know that it's time for sleep. On nights that I have forgetten it he does generally wake more.
    I did have a few afternoons where I just let him cio because I was so frustrated I wanted to start throwing things in my apartment but we didn't cio motn due to living in said apartment. Once I got a couple naps in me I realized I really wasn't interested in cio st at this time. Eventually it just got better. Still use white noise and I still nurse him to sleep but by the end of boob 1 he's usually almost out and there's no marathon rocking sessions like we were doing before.
    One thing I did notice is he kinda gets used to crying motn and it would help if I woke him up all the way for just a couple mins before trying to soothe him and then get him back down if you kwim.

Sorry so long
  • Loading the player...
  • My baby does the same thing and I have tried EVERYTHING. Essential oils, baby down awake, bedtime routine, asked the pediatrician... You name it I tried it. I'm just resigned to the fact that she won't sleep.
  • I also find putting them down awake helps them sleep longer. I also don't go get Adam at every little sound he makes.
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Hi ladies. Thanks a ton for your responses.

I do not put him down awake. He drinks his bottle down in the family room, then we go upstairs and sit in the rocker with his blankie. He closes his eyes almost immediately, so I put him in his bed and pat his bottom for a few seconds.

When I try and put him down awake, he will either play for a few minutes and then start crying, or he will immediately start freaking out.

I know I should try and cry it out but I just can't. I'm trying to find any other way to sleep train, but it seems impossible if he won't even go in his crib. I'm working on doing some research on this (if I don't fall asleep at my computer while doing said research....) 

Thanks for responding ladies...and good luck to you all!

• cpm1223cpm1223 member
    edited August 2014
    I haven't done it, but I think the no cry sleep solutions might be worth a read for you. From what I've heard, it's basically a gradual way of getting your LO to fall asleep on their own without using CIO.

Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
    BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

• I am right there with you! LO has been up every hour or so and just wants the boob in her mouth - not necessary hungry, just needs a boob. And no she won't take a pacifier. I told DH last night that its time to sleep train.

What we are trying is I will feed her at bedtime ass usual and anytime she gets up in the first 3-4 hours she is his to calm however he can without a bottle. I will feed her after 3-4 hours. Last night she settled after about 45 mins and did not want to eat until 1:30am. She nursed for about an hour and slept in her crib until 7am so I am calling that a win.

• The same thing happened with my daughter.  I did not feel comfortable with CIO.  I read The Sleep Lady's Good Night, Sleep Tight book which offers a gentler approach to CIO.  It worked wonderfully for my DD! 

I was feeding my daughter right before bed, walking her to sleep and then laying her down.  Then she would wake up 30 minutes later crying.  I think part of the problem was waking up somewhere different (the crib) than where she feel asleep (my arms).  I also think part of the wake up was because she needed to burp.  Now I feed her, change her diaper, dress her in pajamas and sing her songs while walking around her room until she looks relaxed and tired, but not asleep yet. We usually get a few good burps during this time. Then I lay her in her bed (she cries), pat her bottom until she is calm again, then walk out of the room.  She often only fusses for 2-10 minutes before falling asleep.  I definitely recommend the book, which has you do a "sleep shuffle"  By the 3rd night my DD was sleeping much better!  We have had some regression the past 2 weeks but that is because she got 4 teeth, started crawling and standing.  I have hope that things will settle down and sleep will get better again!  Good luck! 
  • jeslillynjeslillyn member
    edited August 2014
    Im with you. My LO hasnt been sleeping through the night for a while now..I think its going on over a month. Hes up multiple times throughout the night. We've tried different techniques but hes still up every half hour to hour starting at about 3am. I feel like zombie mom too :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"