Natural Birth

Classes vs. self study

In looking at some different programs (mainly Bradley and hypnobirthing), I am wondering if it is necessary to take the group classes, or read the books and use the CDs on my own to learn? Classes in my area run about $400, which is far more costly than just getting materials. Wondering if classes are necessary and worth the money?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Classes vs. self study

• Not sure about Bradley.   Hypnobirthing is not intended to be a self-study course, so by reading the book and listening to the CD, you are not getting all the information.  I can tell you I would not have had the experience I had, if I had only read the book and listened to the CD.

Hypnobabies does have a self-study course, you could see about buying it second hand.  Also you might call your insurance company and see if they will cover some/all of the class (mine didn't but worth a shot), also we were able to apply the cost of the class to FSA.
  • I never looked into self study for Bradley so I don't know what is out there but we found the classes very useful. We had our workbook and were asked to read 2 Bradley books and the rest was in class activities and working with your partner on techniques.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I did GentleBirth and BlissBorn (both hypnobirthing) at home and found I got a lot of benefits from them.  I think it's easier to find the time to go to a class since it's scheduled and you have to go at that time, while at home I sometimes got busy and would try to find the time later and would often go a few weeks between classes, but I started early enough that I had that wiggle room.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Thanks for your responses. We'll keep looking into our options!

BabyFruit Ticker

• RLBregg said:
    I didn't take any classes, just researched online, and was able to go med-free.  
    Same here.  In retrospect, a class would have prepared me more in terms of knowing the benefits of different labor positions, which might have helped me avoid a vacuum assist.  We are not doing a class this time around either- I'm reading as much as I can and have been trying to do yoga and other simple things to prepare my mind and body.  I think it all comes down to you and your partner and what you need to feel prepared.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • One big benefit of doing the actual classes is you connect with other mothers who are attempting the same thing and have the instructor to talk to. I think having support can be worth all the money in the world. I know that I feel stronger when I am in my prenatal yoga class with other pregnant ladies, or talking to a mother who chose natural birth for her baby. Our midwife includes a natural birth prep class free of charge (well, part of our $4K birth fee) and has a lending library with all sorts of info for hypnobabies or bradley method. I asked specifically what she recommends and her answer was to just trust your body, and work with your body. Have a great support system. You don't need the other stuff, but it is really helpful for mothers without other coping mechanisms or attempting a natural birth in a hospital. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I wanted to do the Bradley method, but there weren't any classes in my area that worked with my husband's work schedule. I read several books on natural childbirth and followed and created my own exercises to practice what was taught. I had two great med free births. DH and I were able to take a one day class at the local hospital before our first child. It was not natural birth friendly, but it really helped DH see why I didn't want a "standard" american birth. After that day he really became a big encourager of my having a natural birth.
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • One big benefit of doing the actual classes is you connect with other mothers who are attempting the same thing and have the instructor to talk to. I think having support can be worth all the money in the world. I know that I feel stronger when I am in my prenatal yoga class with other pregnant ladies, or talking to a mother who chose natural birth for her baby. Our midwife includes a natural birth prep class free of charge (well, part of our $4K birth fee) and has a lending library with all sorts of info for hypnobabies or bradley method. I asked specifically what she recommends and her answer was to just trust your body, and work with your body. Have a great support system. You don't need the other stuff, but it is really helpful for mothers without other coping mechanisms or attempting a natural birth in a hospital. 
    That is a great point as well!  Four years later we are still friends with the other three couples we met in Hypnobirthing.  Just yesterday we were at a birthday party for one of them.  I was the third to go into labor in our group and it was so motivating to read the other mothers' stories, it made me think if they did it, I can too!
  • I did classes for my first two kids. I'm skipping it this time, even though its 8 years later. I feel like a caggy vet, but I am buffing up by reading.
  • My DH and I took the hospital's prepared childbirth class, which was more focused towards natural birth methods than I expected.  They covered changing positions, breathing techniques, ways your birth partner can support you, etc.  They also strongly encouraged advocating for the type of birth you want, not being afraid to ask questions.  I feel that between the class and the reading I've done on my own (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, Bradley Birthing Method) I feel well-prepared for a first time Mom.  I'm also doing gentle Yoga 2-3 times per week and I've practiced progressive relaxation and meditation on and off for years, esp in times of stress.  

Reading people's stories on this board has been very helpful too, thank you to all of you for sharing so much good information.  
    :)
    CafeMom Tickers

N14 January Siggy Challenge - What Sucks About Work

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"