January 2014 Moms

New moves waking baby

DS learned to crawl last week. This week he learned to push himself up to a seated position. He's waking up and pushing to seated and then doesn't roll back to lying down. He wakes up further and can't sleep. We try to guide him back to tummy but it upsets him further. Help!?!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New moves waking baby

• I think you just have to wait it out. I know it's totally normal for babies to also not know how to sit back down when they first start pulling up to standing.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• He'll get there soon I bet! Dd has the opposite problem, she can't get up to sitting by herself. Once sitting she can either go to her belly and army crawl or pull to stand, but has no idea how to sit again after either one.

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with others and just wait it out. DD did this and we had a couple nights of fitful sleep and early wakings, but she figured it out and is back to normal. Usually crappy sleep coincides with a huge leap in development, so its totally normal :-D
  • Thanks for the feedback, mamas! These are huge developmental leaps and a lot to do all at once. Poor little guy! I guess I just feel helpless but you're right, he'll figure it out eventually and in the meantime coffee and sugar can keep me on my feet!

• I understand!  In the last 1 1/2 weeks DD has gotten 4 more teeth, learned to pull herself to standing and started crawling.  She has been waking up and staying awake/fussing for about 1-2 hours.  I saw her pediatrician today and she said it should get better soon. 
  • Wow, @holly142 that's intense!! so are you going in and soothing her? Pulling her out of the crib (if she's in the crib) for cuddles and the. Returning to the crib? Or have you waited to see if she works it out herself? Teething must be so tough because it's just pain pure and simple! Do you use any pain relievers? Yikes, hang in there!!

• Practice practice practice during all his waking hours on how to get himself back to the other position. The advice will be the same once they can pull to stand but not back to sitting.

• We're in the same boat! DD learned to sit up on her own from lying down, and is learning how to pull up to standing, but can't figure out how to get back to lying down. And she knows she is tired and she wants to sleep. I'm so thankful we sleep trained because it helps her a lot during these development milestones. Unfortunately, it's tough for her to GET to sleep because she is frustrated. I think she'll learn.

I'd love to hear what you (anyone!) does about going in to soothe, "show her" how to lie back down, etc. We "showed" her but I'm not sure she's at the stage where this is the best way for her to learn. I think she just has to figure it out, and we've learned to let her CIO. Going in to comfort at intervals only pisses her off more. 
  • @sunnyplaces - I wait about 5 minutes to see if she goes back to sleep on her own.  If she is crying (versus fussing) I go in there and pat her bottom.  If she is really upset I will pick her up and walk around with her.

DD wears an amber necklace during waking hours.  I keep a bowl of teething toys in the fridge for her to chew on.  When she is really upset during the night I will put a little gel on her gums (similar to orajel) or give her Tylenol.  I hate seeing her in pain!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"