Babies: 3 - 6 Months

7 oz ever 3 hours??

My son is 5 months old, and eats 7 oz of formula WITH rice in every bottle, every 3 hours.
That seems like a lot to me....

He is currently wearing 9 months clothes, and some 12 months, so I know he's big, but will he ever slow down?? We go through 2 cans of formula and 2 boxes of rice a week. I thought rice was supposed to fill them...but apparently not lol

He's on rice due to reflux, by advice from our doctor before anybody harps on that.
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
Jase Eli-3/10/14

Re: 7 oz ever 3 hours??

• mcgeevamcgeeva member
    edited August 2014
    I agree with the rice cereal because mine has issues too but how much rice cereal are you putting in your lo's bottles?? Two boxes a week is crazy much considering he isn't eating it as a meal. I can't comment on the 7 oz since mine is on BM which makes the amounts a little different. 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• The pedi told us to put 1 tsp per oz. he said to make it frosty consistency, but I don't make it quite that thick. he just eats THAT much.

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
    Jase Eli-3/10/14

• Loading the player...
  • I know you said every 3 hours but is that just during the day or throughout the night too?  So how many ounces per day?  

Our DD (3 months old) gets 28 oz throughout the day broken out as 2-5 oz bottles (BM) and 3-6 oz bottles (Formula).  No rice cereal (no need for her).  I was told by my pedi that she should be eating around 24 oz per day until 4 months and then he will recommend 28-32 oz per day.  Of course, when I heard that, I tried to back her off but she wasn't having it!  She is also just now in 6 month clothing.  
  • That seems like too much... Can you space that out? It is possible to over feed formula. That can cause more trouble with the reflux too.

Smaller bottles more frequently or spacing out the larger amounts. Often pain from reflux is misinterpreted as hunger. Baby eats to quell pain but not because they are actually hungry.

The stomach gets full, acid rises & hello vicious cycle. Really, try smaller bottles more frequently.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm right there with you, my son drinks 7 oz every 3-4 hours, also he's eating solids 3 times a day( fruits and veggies. At night time he's up once to have a bottle.. I am noticing he's starting to eat longer then the 3 hours so I hoping it will work itself out and it will be 4 hours or longer between feedings. My son too is a big boy, he's almost 6 months and he's wearing 6 months to 12 month clothing!
  • Wow I feel like I am not feeding Jack enough.  He eats 3-4 oz every 2 hours he is 4 1/2 months.  I do try and put cereal in with a 3oz bottle but he dose not care for it at all.  He received his shots and I noticed that his appetite was not the same.   I'm trying to work up to 4 oz but he is done at at least  3 1/2 oz.  We aren't ,doing solids yet but I am looking forward to it.
  • mbucks18 said:

Wow I feel like I am not feeding Jack enough.  He eats 3-4 oz every 2 hours he is 4 1/2 months.  I do try and put cereal in with a 3oz bottle but he dose not care for it at all.  He received his shots and I noticed that his appetite was not the same.   I'm trying to work up to 4 oz but he is done at at least  3 1/2 oz.  We aren't ,doing solids yet but I am looking forward to it.

That amount sounds perfectly normal to me. Rice cereal isn't usually recommended unless for reflux, so if DS is content with his usual 3-4oz I'd just stick with that. No need to try to feed him more.
  • My LO is 3 mos in a few days and eats 5 oz every 3 or so hours during the day. I also feel like this is a lot and everyone says babies won't over eat, but I disagree. I am letting him eat it for now but plan to ask his pedi about it in a few weeks. He is wearing 3-6 mo clothes and I am really concerned about it, but I don't want to starve him either..

• I definitely think 7 oz is a LOT, especially every 3 hours and with rice on top of that. I think you're overfeeding him. 

My little guy is really little. I think he's just over 9 lbs now at 3 months and just starting to wear 0-3 month clothing. This past week, we increased his bottles to 5 oz. He drinks about 25 -30 oz per day.

He was drinking 4 oz bottles, but didn't seem satisfied, especially in the morning. Now, he drinks 5 oz and then goes 3-4 hours between feedings. And the last few nights is not waking up to eat. 

My daughter was bigger than my son at that age and she still was only drinking 5 oz bottles too. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Has your son's reflux gotten better using the rice cereal?
    Our 5 month olds seems to be getting better and we give her rice cereal at the dinner time feeding.

• That sounds like a lot to me, too but I'm guessing your doctor knows how much he's eating since he (or she) recommended the rice cereal.  If the doc doesn't seemed concerned about the amount, I wouldn't be either.

As a PP said, I also disagree with the "babies won't overeat" concept. Although I BFE, my 4-month-old would down 10 oz of pumped milk if I let him. He'd barf it all up later, but he'd eat it. Some babies take longer to have an efficient "I'm full" mechanism. 

Have you tried giving him less? Does he just freak out? 
  • Liv eats 6 Oz in the am, 4-4.5oz bottles throughout the day and between 6 & 8 oz at night before bed...she doesn't do MOTN feedings. She is 5 months, and has solids once to twice a day. So roughly 30-32 oz per day. Half breast milk, half formula.
  • Have you talked to your doctor about starting food?  I make my own baby food…we started around 4.5 months and he loves it!
    brideandgroom4 ceremony20 brideandgroom11

Married 9/8/07

BFP on 12/30/12, EDD 9/6/13, u/s at 8w no HB MMC 2/4/13

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"