Special Needs

Can I Ask A Question?

vinividivicivinividivici member
edited August 2014 in Special Needs

... or a few? Lurker dropping in, I apologize in advance if this does not belong here. 

Hi everyone! My 2 year old (26 months, if it matters) was referred to the pediatric ophthalmologist about a year ago, in which he was looked at for a slight lazy eye. After observation and dilation the ophthalmologist did not think that he needed any patching or glasses, but did want to see him again in 6 months. His follow-up appointment was yesterday, the ophthalmologist concluded that it has not gotten better and he now needs glasses. We were given a script to take so he can be fitted for glasses, and another follow-up in 5 months. The possibility of surgery was also mentioned if it worsens, and he added that it also worried him because of DS's speech delay.

Does anyone have, or has had, a LO with a lazy eye (amblyopia?)? Was there any improvement after treatment, patching and/or glasses? If your LO needed glasses how did the fitting go? Did you have a hard time with him/her keeping the glasses on?

Any other suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated as well!

Re: Can I Ask A Question?

• One of DS' closest friends has had glasses for a lazy eye for as long as we've known her (since toddler years).

The glasses are a soft plastic with a band around the back, and she never wants them off.  I'm not sure the specifics of the situation - I know she has had a surgery on it - while its improved as of right now it has yet to go away 100% - but she is only 5yo.  The little girl only once lost her glasses in preschool.  I think maybe getting 2 pairs is a wise decision, just in case your DS looses one.
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DD2 started in glasses about 2 months ago for amblyopia & hyperopia. We just began patching as well, as her eyes weren't doing as well as the doctor expected.

We use miraflex flames. I like that they are flexible and have a strap. She doesn't mind the glasses and patch really, but she thinks it's hilarious to take them off when we aren't looking.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS2 (almost 5) has worn glasses since he was 10mos old.  Both of his eyes turned inward, but not at the same time.  It had to do with him focusing.  Patching was not an option because neither eye was "good".  Surgery had been suggested as a possibility at some point in the future by all ophthalmologists he has seen (military family so a new doctors at each post).  The glasses were for the amblyopia, farsightedness, and astygmatism he has in each eye.  The glasses did not "fix" the crossing and he had surgery on both eyes a couple of years ago. 

His depth perception improved after surgery.  His right eye (which was the better eye) now turns outward on occasion but mostly when he is tired (they overcorrected it a little).  He continues to wear glasses and will probably wear them his entire life.  His eyeglass prescription changed dramatically in May...so much so that I am getting a 2nd opinion to make sure it is correct because 1. the office we got his glasses in called the office to verify it was written correctly and 2. he no longer seems to care if he is wearing his glasses or not; however, the wandering outward of the right eye that was pretty bad from Jan-June seems to have calmed down (so maybe the Rx is right...I don't know).  Since he was so young when he had the surgery, plus what I have read, I would not be surprised if at some point in the distant future (when he is a young adult) he has a 2nd eye surgery.  Cosmetically, it mostly fixed the crossing.  The surgery did not fix the farsightedness or astygmatism of course so the glasses are more for making sure he is seeing clearly now.

For glasses, make sure there is some sort of warranty on them and get a flexible frame of some sort (not hard plastic).  Absolutely get a flexible frame (Flexon and Miraflex are the 2 brands I think of at that moment).  When DS2 started wearing them (he was 10mos old though) we started him out wearing them during meal times since his hands/focus were on eating and not his face.  :-)  It did not take long for him to get used to them.

Kids in glasses are CUTE.  :-)
  • Thank you so much everyone for your responses! The optician looked over the script and let us know that DS is nearsighted and has astigmatism, which we were not told at the ophthalmologist. I'm assuming they forgot while dealing with DS's uncooperativeness during the exam, but still.

DS had his fitting today, which did not go over too well with him. Lots of yanking the frames off and not keeping still during measurements. We were shown several frames and I really wanted the Miraflex ones not even knowing at the time that it was those, they looked very young child appropriate but unfortunately DS's long eyelashes were pushing up against the lenses :(  We ended up going with Tots Specs ( these ), which the optician said were one of his most popular for children. Has anyone tried these, or have any opinions on them?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"