September 2012 Moms
Options

For those that have/are potty training their s12ers...

Has anyone been successful? DC told us that they think DD is ready, and that they are going to start working on it while she's there.
Honestly, I am not looking forward to tackling one more thing right now, but I also don't want to hold her back if she's showing signs of readiness.
What method did you use? Any words of wisdom aside from "wine" and "vodka"?

Re: For those that have/are potty training their s12ers...

• Options
    hmp1 said:

I will say that daycare told me when James was just turning 2, maybe a little before his birthday, that he was showing a lot of signs and using the potty pretty regularly (they even said he was one of the best at it and he was the youngest in the room). I was not ready as I had just had a baby and diapers are just way easier to deal with than accidents and running to the bathroom (especially in public). So, I waited until I was ready. He still had an easy go of it. I don't think you need to worry so much about missing her window. Put her in pull ups and let her go when she asks. Let daycare work with her as much as they want. But don't stress yourself out about it.

What @hmp1‌ said. I would not deal with PTing with a new little one. There's a lot of racing to the bathroom and assistance required that you have to be at the ready for and you just can't be with a newborn.

I would let DC do their thing and wait until B can sit and play or do his own thing a little before tackling it at home. Take her if she asks, but I wouldn't get into it full force.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm giving up!  I thought DS was ready.  He says he wants to potty and will even sit for a bit.  We get a sprinkle and he's done.  He will then run to his room and piss in the floor. Saying Pee! and laughing. Guess we wait a little longer. :(

imageimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We are taking a 'relaxed' approach for now because honestly I can't meet her needs instantly right now. Our biggest issues are that she won't go for anyone other than me, and she will take her diaper off as soon as it is wet.

Right now we take her to the potty when she asks (if I'm not doing something with/for the baby) DH is going to do a "intensive potty training weekend" over Labor Day weekend to try and get her to go for him. If that doesn't get her to 99% we will do a two week focus when he's off of work over Christmas and all our normal activities are on break.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We gave up after three days.  DD knows when she has to go and hates getting her diaper dirty, but she also doesn't want to do it if we ask her to.  So, we stopped trying.  I think when she moves into the next room at daycare, which is 1 month from today, she will get it pretty quickly because all of those kids are trained.  I'm not going to push her though, when she is ready, she will be ready.

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Options
    I was just coming to ask a potty training question! We haven't really started. But @hmp1 didn't you recommend the Hanna Anderson undies or was it the training pants? They're both on Zulily and I was going to pick some up...

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    We gave up after three days.  DD knows when she has to go and hates getting her diaper dirty, but she also doesn't want to do it if we ask her to.  So, we stopped trying.  I think when she moves into the next room at daycare, which is 1 month from today, she will get it pretty quickly because all of those kids are trained.  I'm not going to push her though, when she is ready, she will be ready.
    James is/was like this. He will not go if we ask him to so we just stopped asking. He told us when he had to go, and now he just goes by himself. I found it annoying at first that I couldn't get him to go/try before leaving the house but he never peed in his car seat (thank God) and always held it until we could get to a bathroom. But, if she is resisting when you ask her to try and not telling you before she has to go, then yeah, wait a bit. Our kids are all still really young to be worrying about potty training.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited August 2014
    danabsd said:
    I was just coming to ask a potty training question! We haven't really started. But @hmp1 didn't you recommend the Hanna Anderson undies or was it the training pants? They're both on Zulily and I was going to pick some up...
    I like HA trainers and undies for when they are already trained. Their trainers are just like an extra layer of cotton. Catches a little wetness if they don't wipe well (or for boys the extra drop), but is not like a cloth trainer that can hold a full sprinkle.

You can't PT yet because then you have to give up the onesies!

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    danabsddanabsd member
    edited August 2014
    hmp1 said:
    danabsd said:
    I like HA trainers and undies for when they are already trained. Their trainers are just like an extra layer of cotton. Catches a little wetness if they don't wipe well (or for boys the extra drop), but is not like a cloth trainer that can hold a full sprinkle.

You can't PT yet because then you have to give up the onesies!
    It's going to be a sad day in our house when the onesies end.  I love them with little bubble shorts.  I think we've got a while.  She tells me she has to go to the bathroom but won't do it on the toilet if I put her there, she'll wait until the diaper is back on.  ~X(

• Options
    The method I'm using is just to follow her lead. 

DD asks to go potty a few times a day & she pees pretty much each time she asks. That's all the effort I'm putting into it right now! 

I agree with letting DC do their thing for now & see how it progresses.

• Options
    I just started putting DD on the potty a few days ago, just to get her used to it. At this point I'm just introducing her to the concept. She watches me when I go and says "pee pee" so I'm just trying to reinforce, "Yes, we go pee pee on the potty." She even hands me toilet paper sometimes, LOL. And she was curious about flushing, so I showed her how to do it. I'm not in a rush at all, but she seemed genuinely curious so I'm going with it for now. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    we bought undies at costco. Ds is really small around...like..he still wears 12 or 18 month pants still..and the smallest size in the pack there fits him well. We don't wear them though. We bought them when DS had some interest but with DD arriving in the next 2 weeks, I am pushing NOTHING. He asks to try and we do. He gets an m&m if he pees and 2 if he poops...and he does every now and then. Not getting one doesn't discourage him from trying or upsetting him. He sometimes tells me when he pees in his diaper, but not super often. I am just following his cues. If he wants to try, then we go try. :) In a few months if he has as much or more interest, we will make a big weekend/week of it and get rid of diapers and just go for it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Kissty said:

I'm giving up!  I thought DS was ready.  He says he wants to potty and will even sit for a bit.  We get a sprinkle and he's done.  He will then run to his room and piss in the floor. Saying Pee! and laughing. Guess we wait a little longer. :(

This. I hate potty training right now.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    With a newborn at home I have ZERO interest in potty training.  We don't even have a little potty in the house.  But Audrey is really not showing signs of readiness anyways so I think it would just be frustrating for both of us for no reason.  Once Bennett does not take up as much of my time I will think about it, but I probably won't really focus on it until closer to 2.5 unless she really shows me that she wants to. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did it over 4th of July weekend so DD was just over 21 months and it was super easy.  We did the 3 day training method and we were fairly strict about it.  We actually introduced the idea (throwing diapers away--well, pretending to at least, wearing underwear, etc) on a Thursday when DH got home from work and it was a horrible evening.  We thought we were going to give up.  We only did it early because she wouldn't keep her diapers on.  But Friday morning things were better and within only a couple days she was accident free!

I know a lot of people are taking the laid back approach, but my advice is against that. I am no expert but everyone I know that has done that has had a hard time potty training.  Some kids get confused and don't know when it's really time to use the potty full-time and that approach seems to give them the "I don't want to use it right now" mentality.  My sis got stuck with a 3 year old who was super stubborn and still not potty trained.

I have the electronic version.  If you're interested PM me your e-mail.  Good luck!
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    edited August 2014
    crene84 said:

I know a lot of people are taking the laid back approach, but my advice is against that. I am no expert but everyone I know that has done that has had a hard time potty training.  Some kids get confused and don't know when it's really time to use the potty full-time and that approach seems to give them the "I don't want to use it right now" mentality.  My sis got stuck with a 3 year old who was super stubborn and still not potty trained.

I took a fairly laid back approach with James and it worked wonderfully. I will say that I didn't put him in underwear (cloth trainers) until we actually "potty trained". That was the difference, we shifted the focus from pee/poop goes in the potty to keep undies clean and dry. But for 6 months, he was in pull ups and every 2 hours or so, sat on the toilet to change his pull up. All changes took place while sitting on the toilet. He doesn't handle change well and the slow build up approach worked for him. Leo is on his last pack of diapers and will be in pull ups full time starting next week to start the slow transition to underwear.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

OK @hmp1, you've inspired me to make this our last stash of diapers too.  I think I'll just follow your plan.  I don't know why I'm much more hesitant to potty train Cruz than I was with Lila!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"